HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Has anyone used a portable air conditioner here?

It's been crazy hot this Summer so I've been thinking about getting a portable air conditioner, but I'm not sure yet. One of the issues is the exhaust -- I have a crank window, not a sliding one -- so I've been looking up videos and such to try to find a solution for that.

The good news is it isn't a huge issue to get around, but I'm curious -- have any of you used a portable air conditioner before? If so, do you recommend it?

I really wish I got that thing I saw on kickstarter. It was like this small cube you can carry around and put on your desk and it keeps you cool. It does not cool a room like normal AC it's a personal cooler just for the area around you.

Skip to 1:03 for unboxing

But reviews on Amazon are eithit's super good or super not. I don't know if they are just troll reviews mad they didn't get it on kickstarter or fools using it the wrong way. I always ignore some bad reviews that are clearly people not knowing how a thing works.

Amazon link

• Like 1

I really wish I got that thing I saw on kickstarter. It was like this small cube you can carry around and put on your desk and it keeps you cool. It does not cool a room like normal AC it's a personal cooler just for the area around you.

But reviews on Amazon are eithit's super good or super not. I don't know if they are just troll reviews mad they didn't get it on kickstarter or fools using it the wrong way. I always ignore some bad reviews that are clearly people not knowing how a thing works.

This actually looks really cool, but yeah, the reviews on Amazon have me a bit nervous about even thinking of getting it. Will probably get a full-fledged portable AC, but this does seem like an interesting idea. Hopefully someone improves on it later on.

I have a big house but it is only My wife, Dogs and I so I use one in our bedroom at night to avoid using the Central air all night. We have sliding windows so a traditional window unit isn't an option.

https://www.amazon.com/SPT-000BTU-Single-Hose-Portable/dp/B006YG683C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502111521&sr=8-2&keywords=spt+portable+air+conditioner 

That's the one we have and my room is frosty when we wake up.

Because you have a casement window, you likely will need a little DIY setup to have it installed properly.  Most hardware stores you could go to and get plexiglass cut that will fit the full opening and have a hole cut in it for exhaust.

• Like 1