HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

Welcome to the new GP! Here's some tips on how to get around the site

Jason Clement    964

After what seems like forever, we're finally back!

Welcome to GP, post-IPB 3.4. We're now officially using IPS4, which is the latest version of the forum software. Also, we're using a brand new, customized theme for the first time.

What's new with IPS4?

A good number of thing, actually. One of the biggest is that you can now tag people in your posts and comments using this example: @TKtheknight. Just like Twitter, doing this will ensure that the person who is being tagged will be notified that they were mentioned in a post, so TK will immediately see this next time he's on the forum. It's a good way of drawing people's attention to something if you want them involved.

ALSO

HOW DO I CHECK OUT THE LATEST CONTENT, YO?

You might remember there was a "View New Content" button on the old forums that would show every new post and comment that was made in the last, oh I dunno, week or so? Apparently it's been replaced with "Unread Content" now. As far as I'm aware it'll only show you new topics and posts that you haven't seen or posted in yet (*important*), so that might or might not be what you're looking for.

Instead, I recommend you check out the newest bit of functionality if you want to see ALL new content. You might have seen that new Activity button at the top of the screen, yeah? If you hover over it, it'll give you a list of options. To see every new topic, status update, blog, and comment, click on All Activity (it's the first time in that drop-down menu).

All Activity 1.jpg

That will take you a page that looks like this, which will give you everything you need to know about the latest content.

All Activity 2.jpg

Also interesting, you can create your own Activity filters using the same menu. Just go to Activity > My Activity Streams > Create New Stream (which is at the bottom). This way, you can filter out other posts to just focus on posts you've created or commented in. There's some other options in there that you might want to check out too.

Get notified when people reply to your topics/threads/blogs

Remember before when you'd only get notified if someone quoted your comment? Or you'd have to check "View New Content" in order to see if someone made a comment on your thread? Now whenever you make a topic, you can choose to be notified of all replies. Pretty nifty!

You can find the option at the very bottom of the topic creation page; it looks like this:

Notify replies.jpg

Create New Topics/Blogs Directly From the Forum page

Hey, look at that. Now you don't have to go directly to a subforum to create a new topic. Or to your own blog page, for that matter.

If you'd like to create a new topic in the forum, the first way you can do this is by clicking the black "Start New Topic" button on the forum page. It's right at the top next to where it says "Forums." It's also next to the Status Updates.

Start New Topic.jpg

BUT, you can also do it from the User Bar, which is that black bar at the top that you used to sign in and such.

Just click on the "Create+" button, and that'll give you a drop-down menu where you can choose to create a new topic, blog, or something else.

User Bar.jpg

Display Names

Also, there's been somewhat of a change to logins. Before, you would login using your username and could then have a separate Display Name for on the forum. Now, you'll need to login using your Display Name.

For most of you, this won't be an issue since many of you never created a Display Name that was different from your username. But for those of you who did, make sure to use your Display Name when you log in. This includes anyone on the staff whose Display Name is their real name.

I think that's it for now, but I'll update this if anything else comes to mind.

For now, happy posting, and hope everyone enjoys the new site functionality!

Jason Clement    964

Ugh, just realized the status updates are severely truncated, meaning it won't show your full status update message. At least not on the forums. I'll try to figure out how to fix that ASAP.

DarkCobra86    571

Welcome back online GP

• Like 1

Jordan Haygood    350

Man, the new site looks friggin' awesome! Definitely a welcome change, in my opinion. And now that we have a functional mobile site, something tells me we'll see a ton more activity in the future. I'm pretty excited about the site moving forward.

Royzoga    262

Love the new design, very modern and updated! Can't wait to post, browse, rant, rave, and bog down people's news feeds with my constant streaming posts, haha. 

Rex705    359

whoa this is different. Very modern.

TKtheknight    962

This is quite the fascinating upgrade. It's like a brand new knight quarters. Welcome home gamers! It's blue with a colorful feeling of positivity.

Testing testing @setaimx am I doing this right? Just seeing if the notification is awesome. Sounds awesome that you can tag people via Twitter.

EDIT: Uh @Jason Clement guess this is how to use it lol. I was thinking differently. So the twitter thing only works for the users on the site then. Pretty nifty upgrade feature. This is quite a nice way instead of replying or quoting in a way. :D

• Thanks 1

Jason Clement    964
2 hours ago, TKtheknight said:

This is quite the fascinating upgrade. It's like a brand new knight quarters. Welcome home gamers! It's blue with a colorful feeling of positivity.

Testing testing @setaimx am I doing this right? Just seeing if the notification is awesome. Sounds awesome that you can tag people via Twitter.

EDIT: Uh @Jason Clement guess this is how to use it lol. I was thinking differently. So the twitter thing only works for the users on the site then. Pretty nifty upgrade feature. This is quite a nice way instead of replying or quoting in a way. :D

Yeah, sorry. I should clarify that it doesn't tag people via Twitter; only on this site, haha. xD

Glad you like the new look, TK! And thanks everyone else for the kind words so far! :D

• Like 1

Things are lookin' good!

I like the new layout.

DarkCobra86    571

The old site had it where when you click on a thread last page it will take you to the most recent post in it. I don't think the new site does this? It just takes you to the first page and you have to navigate to the last page? Is there an option to turn on pages under the thread or some other way around this?

Jordan Haygood    350

One thing I noticed that is highly unnecessary is that some threads are considered serious questions that users can vote up and/or consider "best answer." Like in the recent gaming purchases thread, for instance.

Jason Clement    964
36 minutes ago, Jordan Haygood said:

One thing I noticed that is highly unnecessary is that some threads are considered serious questions that users can vote up and/or consider "best answer." Like in the recent gaming purchases thread, for instance.

Yes, thank you for reminding me about this. I've fixed it now; the only forum that displays questions instead of topics is the GP Help Desk now.

1 hour ago, DarkCobra86 said:

The old site had it where when you click on a thread last page it will take you to the most recent post in it. I don't think the new site does this? It just takes you to the first page and you have to navigate to the last page? Is there an option to turn on pages under the thread or some other way around this?

I'll check to see if there's an option for that in the backend, but I think for the most part it won't be an issue, DC. Unless, you're going directly to a forum to look at the threads, you'll generally see the latest comments in the All Activity tab, which will take you straight to the latest comment. If you are going to a specific forum, however, your best bet is to click on the latest page to take you to the most recent comment.

Example: So in the image below, you'd click on page "39" then.

Screenshot_1.png

Rex705    359

This new post comment editor thingy is super annoying and always messing things up on me. It's going to take some getting used to.

DarkCobra86    571
17 hours ago, Jason Clement said:

Yes, thank you for reminding me about this. I've fixed it now; the only forum that displays questions instead of topics is the GP Help Desk now.

I'll check to see if there's an option for that in the backend, but I think for the most part it won't be an issue, DC. Unless, you're going directly to a forum to look at the threads, you'll generally see the latest comments in the All Activity tab, which will take you straight to the latest comment. If you are going to a specific forum, however, your best bet is to click on the latest page to take you to the most recent comment.

Example: So in the image below, you'd click on page "39" then.

Screenshot_1.png

ok thank you