HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

Time for the GP take on this: What are your thoughts on the Dean Takahashi/Cuphead furor?

So this story has been going on all week long, and I'm curious to get your guys' take on it.

If you haven't heard the story yet, Dean Takahashi -- a game journalist/writer at Gamesbeat who's been covering the industry for 25 years -- tweeted a video of him playing Cuphead pretty badly at Gamescom as a sort of self-mockery.

The video shows him playing Cuphead and trying to get through the tutorial section, but failing to follow the instructions for the first minute or so. While the full video is 26 minutes, someone else (not related to Takahashi) cut another version to the first minute, making it look especially bad without the rest of the context (Takahashi eventually does progress pass that obstacle at the 1:31 mark in the original video).

In any event, that second video went viral, with it sparking a debate as to whether game journalists should be good at games in order to cover them. Takahashi and the rest of Gamesbeat also talked about this, clarifying a few things: for one, Takahashi isn't super adept at platformers (he's more of an FPS guy), which explains his performance; and two, he was the only one available that Gamesbeat could send to Gamescom at that time, given that they're a small outlet. There's also the fact that he's always been more focused on the business side of the games industry, not necessarily covering gameplay itself.

Back to the debate, though -- my thought is the whole thing is kind of silly and people are making a way bigger deal than it needs to be. Honestly, I do think anyone who writes in game journalism (if you want to call it that) should have a certain level of skill and be able to play the game as intended if they're reviewing games (which Takahashi was not; it was merely a hands-on thing). But by and large, no, you don't need to be "good" at games to talk about them as a whole. If you apply the same logic to sports, it's ridiculous to expect all announcers and anyone who covers sports professionally to be really good at the sport themselves.

I do think Takahashi sort of shot himself in the foot by releasing the video, and he does mention that himself in the article he published about the whole situation today, so maybe a lot of this could have been avoided.

Still, I think people are making way too big of a deal about something like this and want something to attack.

What do you guys think?

It really is a hard apple to grasp.   On one hand a skilled player is going to give us an honest, deeper impression of the actual game.  While someone who is not as experienced can lend a different nuance to the review.  Honestly both have their place and people are, as per usual, butthurt over nothing at all.

Edit: that said, the game looks incredible, I don't care.

Edited by iwx Leprechaun
I DO WHAT I WANT!

1 hour ago, iwx Leprechaun said:

On one hand a skilled player is going to give us an honest, deeper impression of the actual game.  While someone who is not as experienced can lend a different nuance to the review.

Basically this. In an ideal world I feel like games coverage should cover both sides of spectrum (especially reviews or opinion pieces. We have way too much homogenization in regards to it, I feel like.) Because, hey, lots of different people play games and should have very perspectives because of it. There shouldn't be only 'pro' gamers or 'casual' ones to reflect it (as well as only true fans or non fans of something).

But I'll be the first to admit this footage is somewhat painful to watch. Now, I know it's hard to play a game on a show floor, and I know firsthand Cuphead is quite difficult (I got wrecked for a few minutes and then moved onto Bloodstained), but it is kind of cringe-worthy to watch regardless. He doesn't do the himself, or the game, any real service by making a real long video about making zero progress.

This is hardly worth any controversy, though. Or at least not in this context. Sounds like a wrong fit at an outlet that didn't really have the option to send anyone else to cover it.

All I know is for me, personally, watching someone play a game badly doesn't make me interested in the game, but then I can just go watch a different video. I don't know why that wasn't an option for people with nothing better to do than get outraged over the next thing, but whatever.

If you work in the games industry, you should enjoy video games. I don't know why there should be any other requisite.

This is dumb. Someone saw he was struggling and took advantage of that and released a video out of context. Of course with today internet, the video went viral and made things a lot worse than it could have been. Let's put that same guy who made the viral video into the floor and play the game as well. Will he do that much better? Maybe, maybe not.

Sure it certainly helps if he is good at games or amazing. But it isn't a requirement. I'm sure if you give him time to play the game and get good at it he'll be much better. If he writes about game and understand gaming and can give us an unbiased review then that is good.  Sometimes with the elite players they will give you bias reviews because they are so good at a game that they think that game is the best and is the holy grail. More like they only want to bring that game up is to use it as a lead in to highlighting how good they are at a particular game. The guy has been doing this for 25 years. I'm sure if he wasn't doing his job well enough he wouldn't be doing this anymore. Just like going back to the sports analogy. Most great coaches were never great players. It is always the guy that never get to play in the game that becomes great coaches. And you know why? Because they have to sit on the bench during the entire game day and they see from the coaches perspective how a team is playing and they learn at that point. Remember, Jordan is possible GOAT in basketball but that doesn't mean he is a great owner.

I mean, why does the video matter? If this was like a stage demo of sorts the I'd definitely be concerned, but it seems kinda stupid to be blowing up a video of someone playing a game and have it just be that... I play like an idiot all the time and it doesn't end up making news, as I'm sure we all do from time to time! Stuff happens, man, really who cares?

19 hours ago, Royzoga said:

I mean, why does the video matter? If this was like a stage demo of sorts the I'd definitely be concerned, but it seems kinda stupid to be blowing up a video of someone playing a game and have it just be that... I play like an idiot all the time and it doesn't end up making news, as I'm sure we all do from time to time! Stuff happens, man, really who cares?

I'll try to just post a clip of you sucking and hopefully we can go viral with this.

1 hour ago, DarkCobra86 said:

I'll try to just post a clip of you sucking and hopefully we can go viral with this.

Exactly, that'd be really nice. Just get famous and such, but I digress.