HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

How do you feel about Visceral's closing and EA's new direction?

There's been a LOT in the games industry to digest over the last week as news about Visceral's closing broke.

Honestly, the whole thing was as equally a shock/surprise to me as it wasn't.

I don't think anyone would dispute Visceral's credibility as a developer. The Dead Space games are widely loved, even if the first is the one that gets any real acclaim from people. And even though Battlefield Hardline didn't set the world on fire, they seemed liked they were a competent team to handle a new Star Wars title; one that purportedly would have been somewhat like Uncharted.

The reason part of this doesn't surprise me is because we've heard about this game for years now and seeing absolutely nothing about it. Pretty much the only thing we ever saw was that development diary about it a few E3s back when EA literally had nothing to show in the way of new games. So the fact that we had gone so long without even as much as a title, let alone any early screenshots or ANYTHING lent some credence to rumors that the project was in trouble (deadlines not being met, etc.).

At any rate, the whole thing is a shame, and now there's word that EA is looking to focus solely on developing games with large open worlds and microtransactions, like what they're doing with Anthem, for example. Personally, I think this will end up coming back to bite them. Maybe not this year or even next year, but somewhere down the line this trend will start to implode.

What do you guys think? Are you concerned about EA's new direction? And what did you think of Visceral's closing?

I'm sad that it was specifically the single player game getting shut down, and a company like Visceral to take the fall makes me a little sad. That being said, I'm glad they were just straight up with the reasoning behind why they shut it down and didn't try to BS it, maybe a little easier to swallow because of that in all honesty. Here's hoping their refocused efforts breed higher quality content in the coming future! 

And I was finally ready to forgive Visceral for Dead Space 3....I WAS FINALLY READY!! *sobs*

Anyway, it is sad because I love the first two Dead Space games, and Extraction was a pretty cool entry as well. I would love to have seen what they could do with the Star Wars license, but I guess that's not going to happen. :\ As far as EA in general, I'm not like, a fan or anything, but I'll buy their games if it looks like something I'd like so it's kinda whatever right now as far as what they're going to do going forward. Battlefront 2's campaign looks interesting but beyond that I'll just see what they do and go from there.

Sad to see Visceral go I liked Dead Space and other games. I don't really play many EA games besides Sims 3 so what they do isn't on my radar. I do like open world games like Saints Row so that could get me interested but microtransactions are a no go. This could either kill COD or make it a more fun game unless you need to throw real money to do things. I'm sure they will make money off little kids but adults will be all Nope.

I don't know if the microtransaction and open world will implode. It seems to me there are many people that are willing to pay up in a game through microtransaction. Look at FFBE on mobile. The amount of money whales drop in that game is incredible to me. People spend over 1k per banner, just insane.

14 hours ago, DarkCobra86 said:

I don't know if the microtransaction and open world will implode. It seems to me there are many people that are willing to pay up in a game through microtransaction. Look at FFBE on mobile. The amount of money whales drop in that game is incredible to me. People spend over 1k per banner, just insane.

You make a solid point, DC. The whales will likely keep microtransactions alive in the long run. Still, I think the more companies focus on it, the more goodwill they lose. We've already seen a ton of negativity over EA supposedly dropping single-player experiences, so we'll see where this leads.

4 hours ago, Jason Clement said:

You make a solid point, DC. The whales will likely keep microtransactions alive in the long run. Still, I think the more companies focus on it, the more goodwill they lose. We've already seen a ton of negativity over EA supposedly dropping single-player experiences, so we'll see where this leads.

Don't get me wrong. I think microtransaction is bad, very bad. But it is a great cash grab and some of them know how to do that model and keeps on luring the people in. Even able to convert some F2P as they continue to play the game. But yes a lot of people don't like the practices which I hope will eventually help the companies tone it down a bit.