HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
bink

Paying it forward, Acts of Kindness

So I thought I'd start a topic to ask a few questions to you all regarding random acts of kindness, or just acts of kindness minus the random bit.

What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you unsolicited?

What's the nicest thing you've ever done for another person unsolicited - family or stranger?

How do you like to "pay it forward"?

Nothing big happened today, but it was raining something fierce and a lady with a walker was standing out front of a building attaching plastic bags over her items she was carrying that couldn't get wet. She was about to step into the pouring rain to walk to her car when we pulled up and walked her under the shield of our umbrella to her car instead. It was a very small thing to do, but it made us feel good and she seemed appreciative.

I think I'm going to buy like $10 of umbrellas at the dollar store and just put them in my car so the next time I see someone in need of one, I'll just give it away!

Once or twice I've had my food paid for by the vehicle in front of me at a drive-through, and it's always nice to pass that along to the next car (if their bill isn't exorbitant and something I can't afford, that is...)

What do you guys like to do to "give back" or just to spread some cheer to others? :) I like hearing other people's experiences with things like these because it always makes me remember that even something small might have a big impact on someone's day, and that when we can, we really should try and help each other.

From time to time, members of my church will give me clothes for my boys. This is helpful because my oldest can grow out of clothes pretty fast. The church community has always been really helpful.

It's good to help out whenever you can, I think. I try to pay it forward when I can. I'm not sure what could be considered the nicest thing I've done. Most things are simple: watch someone's kids, lend an ear when they have a problem, help with yardwork or housework... I did give my boyfriend's nephew my DS (the big grey one) not long after I got it. But I would think that technically it was solicited as the boy was really wanting it. :lol:

• Like 1

My sister said one time the car in front of her pay for her starbucks. It was a lot too because she got one for herself and our parents.

Some other kindness are GP and GDD for their giveaways. I know the reason behind it is to get more members involved on the forums. But still, it is very nice of them to give us great prizes and it is something they didn't have to do in my opinion.

I personally just try to be kind or do something good if I can. Even simple things like holding the door for someone or even saying "bless you." It isn't much but I feel that it doesn't hurt anyone and it doesn't take much from my end either.

I done plenty of volunteer in my life (granted a lot because my school required me), but afterward I always felt good about it and I'm glad I did it.

• Like 1

Here is a recent one.

A customer called in and was telling me how she was sick and couldn't get her shopping done. Of course from a week ago I have already heard how she is sick. This is an old lady that uses the cart to drive around when she gets to the grocery store and stop by us. So she goes on and saying how the pharmacist would do it for her and if I can just get a few stuff and let them know so they can shop for her and then she would pick it up. I told her to go ahead and gave me the full list, and she does but ends up telling me you don't have to get the lemon or banana because you'll have to weight them and that'll be a hassels. She would also give me her credit cards info to charge it over the phone. After the convo, I went ahead and did all her shopping. I called her and said we can drop it by if she wants. She said she'll try to drop by. So I said why don't you drop by, stop in the parking lot and I'll come out to meet her to get her credit card and then I can bring the grocery to here. So she got there and we went ahead and got her stuff paid and took it out for her.

Funny thing was she tried to tip me and I gladly declined. Good thing the pharmacist stepped out too and saw that and told her I would have gotten in trouble haha. She wasn't happy about me not taking the tips but yea, just glad I was able to help an old lady out.

• Like 1

I lent a guy I really didn't know 700 bucks two weeks ago today. Still hasn't paid me back or even contacted me. Pay it forward my ass!

Here is a recent one.

A customer called in *...snip!*

Funny thing was she tried to tip me and I gladly declined. Good thing the pharmacist stepped out too and saw that and told her I would have gotten in trouble haha. She wasn't happy about me not taking the tips but yea, just glad I was able to help an old lady out.

I think that's wonderful what you did and glad you shared a recent story! I am sure the woman really appreciated your kindness.

I lent a guy I really didn't know 700 bucks two weeks ago today. Still hasn't paid me back or even contacted me. Pay it forward my ass!

That is nice of you, and yeah with money I think you kind of just have to give it as a gift, not expecting really to get it back. At least that's how I would have to view it to avoid disappointment.

Well I don't really have much to add and no big stories just little things.

At work I am always finding wallets, purses and car keys that customers forget about and leave laying around so I bring them to customer service so they can be returned. It's scary how many of these you find laying around. One time I saw a customer come out of the bathroom and saw she had forgotten her purse so I was able to track her down and give it to her.

One time an old lady came in and she needed one of the electric carts but they had not been charged and had no power. So I walked her around the store in a wheel chair and helped her do her shopping and she was very happy saying how Stop and shop would never do something like this. When we finished I helped her check out and put everything in her car for her.

Other random things I guess would be like donating to charity like with the indie bundles and I give more then $1 unlike other people. One time I was just randomly looking on friends wishlist on Steam and I got Beat Hazard Ultra for Kat one of our GP editors.

One time in chat or something I saw one of GP's original members saying how she really wanted a Game boy color and without even thinking I just said oh well you can have mine and I shipped it to her. She was a happy panda.

• Like 1

Well I don't really have much to add and no big stories just little things.

At work I am always finding wallets, purses and car keys that customers forget about and leave laying around so I bring them to customer service so they can be returned. It's scary how many of these you find laying around. One time I saw a customer come out of the bathroom and saw she had forgotten her purse so I was able to track her down and give it to her.

One time an old lady came in and she needed one of the electric carts but they had not been charged and had no power. So I walked her around the store in a wheel chair and helped her do her shopping and she was very happy saying how Stop and shop would never do something like this. When we finished I helped her check out and put everything in her car for her.

Other random things I guess would be like donating to charity like with the indie bundles and I give more then $1 unlike other people. One time I was just randomly looking on friends wishlist on Steam and I got Beat Hazard Ultra for Kat one of our GP editors.

One time in chat or something I saw one of GP's original members saying how she really wanted a Game boy color and without even thinking I just said oh well you can have mine and I shipped it to her. She was a happy panda.

Dude those are all good things. I'll remember to stop by the chat and mention to you what I want too :P. But that is really nice. All these good things will build up good krama :D.

Yea man I would lend my friends money but I can't say the same for someone you don't know that well. But I believe good act will result in good things for you.

Those are great examples Rex. I think those things aren't really so "little" as you make them out to be, because you know in all honesty acts of kindness seem kind of uncommon in today's time. Besides, sometimes "just the little things" can be a really BIG help!!