HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jordan Haygood

Like Button Awareness

Question

I couldn't help but notice that almost no one ever uses the like button system this site has. Now, I realize we aren't Facebook, but since we have this feature, why not use it? I for one find it as a convenient way to show that you agree with someone's post, think a post is funny, think an Editor's article or review is well-written, or any other reason you might like a post.

So what d'ya say? Should we start using it more? Go ahead and give this post a like if you think we should.

18 answers to this question

This is true; I was going to mention something like this but now I don't have to!

Good job, Jordan. ;)

Haha, nice wordplay there, but do not think it was intended or was it?

In any case, I find what Jordan said to be quite accurate since it is a way of expressing your feelings on a post that you have just read. However, at the same time we must not rely fully on just one sole button as this might make people too lazy to post and actually say what he/she is thinking and would ruin the whole point of posting. So, I believe we should use the 'like' button and the posting system as equally as possible in order to achieve improvement to Game Podunk.

Just thought I'd bump this to remind people that we still have a "like" feature, and to encourage people to use it as often as possible. Enjoy an article someone wrote? "Like" it. Giggle at something somebody said in a post? "Like" it. Agree with something someone said? "Like" it. Believe it or not, liking posts will really help motivate our community to participate more in general. By members liking quality posts, I think our community could see more quality posts from its members, since they'd be motivated to say something that could potentially get more likes.

I see this on other forums all the time, where very deep discussions are had and individual posts get a ton of likes (some members end up with several thousand points to their reputation as a result). By liking something, you're showing the poster that their post was worthwhile and that they should keep at it. Plus, it's a lot less boring than simply hoping that other people liked what you said, don't you think?

Take Facebook, for example: if FB didn't have its like feature, I probably wouldn't post all that much, since I wouldn't be able to see how many people like what I have to say. There's a reason other social media sites have a similar feature, and there's a reason we have one too. People like to see what they say get recognized because it makes them feel like they accomplished something. So please, use the like system, 'kay?

Guest ...

I usualy respond to posts that I agree with or tell them on the thread that I liked it.

But I guess it coudn't hurt to leave them a "like" behind so thanks for the reminder.

Personally I think the whole "like/"no dislikes exist because we says so" phenomenon is a bit egotistical, especially on sites like Facebook or Youtube.

But the community here is much friendlier (as opposed to Youtube) and posts less menial stuff (Facebook) so I do use the "like" button here every so often. That said, why no dislike button >:D

Personally I think the whole "like/"no dislikes exist because we says so" phenomenon is a bit egotistical, especially on sites like Facebook or Youtube.

But the community here is much friendlier (as opposed to Youtube) and posts less menial stuff (Facebook) so I do use the "like" button here every so often. That said, why no dislike button >:D

I also think there should also be a dislike button. Personally, I like to know when people like or dislike what I say.

I also think there should also be a dislike button. Personally, I like to know when people like or dislike what I say.

I suppose the reasoning behind it is that it prevents nastiness, though I find a simple dislike a lot more polite than a rude response. Besides, its perfectly okay to be critical or disagree with others, as long as you're civil about it.

Along with what Ludono said about preventing nastiness, the simple reason why GP doesn't have it is because it isn't built into our hosted platform, Invision Power Board. You can rest assure that it wasn't a feature that was taken out by us. :P

In any case, if there's a feature like that we can install in the feature and if there's enough people who want it, I'll look into it.

I usualy respond to posts that I agree with or tell them on the thread that I liked it.

That's all well and good, but there are plenty of times when there really isn't anything to say other than "I agree" or "lol," and by using the like button, you can pretty much say the same thing without posting it. That's not to say you shouldn't say something meaningful if you still can, though, and that's definitely encouraged.

Guest ...

That's all well and good, but there are plenty of times when there really isn't anything to say other than "I agree" or "lol," and by using the like button, you can pretty much say the same thing without posting it. That's not to say you shouldn't say something meaningful if you still can, though, and that's definitely encouraged.

I guess it's about personal prefrence. Id much rather get a detailed opinion over a post I made instead of a like. To me likes should just be the cherry on top and the reply should be the sunday.... Oh great now I want Ice cream and im still sick...

But I guess clicking the like button is a good way to let someone know "I loled at your comment" with out having to post it. Also I woudn't want a dislike button here, It just seems to harsh. If I disagree with someone Ill let them know as civil as I can.

I like the like button. :3 I also like the idea of a dislike button, just so you can let someone know that you aren't fond of their post without having to quote and disagree and have the whole world know et cetera. If people are too worried about it, you can have it hide who dislikes the post, but that might lead to exploitation and bad-ness.

Anyway, the like button is a great way to tell someone to keep up the good work... without it getting lost in the thread itself. Say you go in one thread, and there's a lot of posts you agree with... you could make a mega post of your own, quoting everyone and telling them you agree, but it's iffy if the original poster will even see that, since it'd end up being a big block of text. Or, you could do multiple posts in a row, but that's against most forum etiquitte. Instead, you can just click the 'like' button, and if you want to elaborate, you can. It makes the forums easier to read, and makes the forum-goers know when they've written an answesome post. ;D

Plus, when someone likes your post, you get notified, so you know what post it was someone liked and it doesn't get lost in the thread or anything.

Guest ...

Plus, when someone likes your post, you get notified, so you know what post it was someone liked and it doesn't get lost in the thread or anything.

I just changed my settings so I get notices when someone quotes me also.

Pretty useful when you want to keep track of who is intrested in your posts.

Whoa, I didn't even know we had that xD

Guest ...

Whoa, I didn't even know we had that xD

You learn something new every day.

I just learned yesterday that the pilots of stoves are always on. I don't cook so forgive my durpyness. My mind was blown at the fact lol.

CONTEST FOR MOST LIKE BUTTONS

I personally always viewed the like system as a way of showing you liked what the person said. And you can look at someones profile to see how often people felt the same, however this is often isn't completely right since more posts often equals more likes and thus volume means more than quality