HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Leah

Share your last beaten games here!

On 5/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, Venom said:

I finished God of War yesterday. Awesome stuff, 10/10, etc. etc you've already heard it all.

Ooh hey, I just finished this too. I wouldn't give it a 10/10, but it's still a pretty solid 9 from me! Definitely worth owning a PS4 to play it! 

On 5/4/2018 at 3:50 PM, Venom said:

I finished God of War yesterday. Awesome stuff, 10/10, etc. etc you've already heard it all.

BUT IS IT GAME OF THE YEAR??

Ron Howard narrator voice: "It is."

I beat Earthbound yesterday. So funny and such a cool and casual game to play. I loved it. Great great game.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:37 PM, Jason Clement said:

Uh... Maybe? I mean, I can't remember another 2018 game that's been that good for me. Though, to be fair my 2018 catalog is like, Ni No Kuni II which was about average, and God of War which was amazing, but not perfect. I'd say it's definitely a front runner, but I don't want it to win.  

Beat Destiny 2 second DLC. That story mode was short. Super short. Hopefully other end game contents on it will be better.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:37 PM, Jason Clement said:

I mean, it's definitely GOTY right now. It'll still be a contender later in the year but not sure it would win. Definitely won't be at the top of my personal list anyway with all the Nintendo stuff probably coming out. (or just Smash, really)

Edit: On topic, I just beat Red Dead Revolver. It was...a thing. Definitely a thing. Edit 2: I also beat Bullet Witch. It was...also a thing.

Do demos and EA count lol? A VR game I found on Itch.io that came out on Steam finally went into EA with a bunch of new stuff the demo didn't have. I grabbed it day one and I love it. Just played it today and I made it to the end of 9 levels. Well, it's 3 levels but you play each 3 times. The game is called Compound and it's a classic shooter like Doom in VR.

3 hours ago, Rex705 said:

Do demos and EA count lol? A VR game I found on Itch.io that came out on Steam finally went into EA with a bunch of new stuff the demo didn't have. I grabbed it day one and I love it. Just played it today and I made it to the end of 9 levels. Well, it's 3 levels but you play each 3 times. The game is called Compound and it's a classic shooter like Doom in VR.

Didn't even realize Itch.io had VR games (some of which I assume are free?) until now. Huh, you learn something new every day! :P

I got the platinum trophy for God Of War. It’s not only my GOTY but quite frankly one of the best games I’ve ever played. 

I've finished Fairune and Mirror's Edge Catalyst recently. Fairune was a neat little retro throwback but basically impossible to finish without a guide. Mirror's Edge was boring as hell but short enough to force myself to get it off the backlog at least.

2 hours ago, Venom said:

I've finished Fairune and Mirror's Edge Catalyst recently. Fairune was a neat little retro throwback but basically impossible to finish without a guide. Mirror's Edge was boring as hell but short enough to force myself to get it off the backlog at least.

Totally agree about Fairune. There comes a certain point in the game where, like you said, it's impossible to finish on your own. Makes me wonder if there was a person out there who beat the whole thing without resorting to a guide. Same thing happens in Fairune 2 as well. xD

So I ended up finishing Detroit: Become Human in, I guess, one path? I dunno, I don't feel overly compelled to try and find the other endings, but I'll get to it. Let me rant a little, huh? Maybe a quasi review. 

While Detroit: Become Human succeeds in entertaining and relatively emotionally impacting story telling, the game is bogged down by a myriad of menial tasks, confusing punishment for various situations, a god awful check point system, and so on.

• More than a handful of times did I find myself questioning game play decisions, especially towards the later parts of the game where I felt it unnecessary to push random nonsense. No, I don't need to shake the controller to get up on a platform 10 minutes from the climax of the game please. In the beginning it felt more of a story lead in, doing chores and whatnot, but it really felt out of place with the story coming to a head. 
  • By the end of the game, for me at least, I had felt relatively good about my choices, minus one or two things I regret, especially something I felt the game completely and unfairly made it so I couldn't complete. As such, using the game's widely anticipated Flowchart system seemed a no brainer, but man it didn't pan out like that. Check points and areas to load in are few and far between, often forcing large amounts of section replay just to have one segment slightly change. I'm talking 10-15 minutes here when tested, ESPECIALLY at the end of the game, yet again. Did I mention the credits are unskippable? 
  • I supposed the final major complaint is just something related to the story telling, but still a gripe worth mentioning. More than a few times there situations where I'd felt I handled a situation completely fine, well, whatever, only to make it to the literal last second and die or have something incredibly tragic happen. I believe the first time I felt this was an interrogation scene still in the early parts of the game.

It's not all bad though, I actually genuinely enjoyed my 10 Hour or so playthrough with the game, especially the segments involving Connor and Hank, the Detective / Android combination. Honestly, I wish there were more of them as I found solving crimes and investigating crime scenes involving Deviants (Emotional Androids) to be the most entertaining parts of the game. Especially with the newly added Detective Mode-esque vision that makes it easier to find clues. Sadly, I can't say I felt too much for Kara and Alice, despite being incredibly emotionally attached to them right at the beginning. I felt as their story went on and on I just generally lost interest with them, especially as it just seemed like a series of consistent, tragic, and unfortunate events. Markus was a mixed bag though, loving his beginning and greatly enjoying his middle, I found his rise to leading an Android revolution interesting, but a little...rushed. Maybe if more time had passed to develop his relationships I would have felt less whiplash. Even more so with a relatively shoe horned in romance, that while entertaining and caused a few "aww's" on my part, still felt forced at times, or a little too cliche. 

While I was unable to keep the entirety of the cast alive by the end of my own adventure, I quickly found out that the feat is actually achievable, branching paths seemingly leading to significantly different endings and events. I can't begin to express how happy this made me to discover, but again-- The terrible checkpoint system completely ruined any desire to try another playthrough or specific scenes.

At the end of the day, Detroit: Become Human feels like a future-cyber epic, a journey from start to finish with smart, decisive story telling that is unfortunately hurt by numerous small issues. I feel like some of these can be patched or even fixed, especially the checkpoint system which makes me hopeful. However, where it stands right now, I'm going to give it a 7/10 or so and comment I feel the game needed maybe just a smidge more Quality Assurance and play testing as there's no way I can be the only one to make these complaints. Right? 

I finished Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online and Past Cure. I ended up going for the Platinum in 4GO, which was probably a mistake seeing how many quests the game throws at you after the main story ends. Past Cure was so bland that I don't even know what else to say about it.

24 minutes ago, Venom said:

I finished Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online and Past Cure. I ended up going for the Platinum in 4GO, which was probably a mistake seeing how many quests the game throws at you after the main story ends. Past Cure was so bland that I don't even know what else to say about it.

What is Past Cure? Is that DLC for it? Or is it part of the game's title?

Nm, just looked it up, lol. It's a different game (and I've never heard of it till now!). xD

4 hours ago, Jason Clement said:

What is Past Cure? Is that DLC for it? Or is it part of the game's title?

Nm, just looked it up, lol. It's a different game (and I've never heard of it till now!). xD

It should definitely stay unknown since there's no reason to play it. It's short, the story makes no sense, and the gunplay is terrible.

Posted (edited)

Basically Astroneer is epic, a nice casual very immersive experience where you play a funny little spaceman and civilize planets in space. The only gripe i have is that one you make a base on all four planets and have built everything there is to build there's not much point to play it again. :(

Also it's one of the few games where the single player is better than multiplayer because as a single player game it is SO immersive and easy to lose yourself in that being on voice chat breaks the suspension of belief and its ultimately less enjoyable.

Edited by Bizarre Monkey
i spelt belief wrong :0