HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
betobuster

Xbox 360 Slim freezes & hangups

I've been having some issues with my 250 GB Xbox Slim. I have tried the troubleshooting instructions on this site for a freezing Xbox, but I still experience the issue whether I have the hard drive in the console or not. Clearing the cache seems to only be a temporary fix at best, as I soon experience the issue afterward.

During updates, whether they be system or game updates, the console tends to get stuck on a black screen, and I hear loud noises from the disc drive. If I eject the disc tray, the black screen goes away.

When trying to exit a game and go to the dashboard, it will either get stuck on a black screen with the previously mentioned loud sounds, or it will reach the dashboard while making the sounds, and then refuses to play any game (DL or disc), or completely freezes at the dashboard until I eject the disc tray.

While it does occur mostly on particular games, it seems to occur on any game. The hangups when exiting a game seem consistent at times, while other times it seems random. The games can be either disc or downloaded games.

I posted on the official support forums, and all I got was a post telling me to send it in for repair. My console was doing this stuff as far as I can remember, and the only reason I haven't sent it in is due to the fact that I wanted to send it in during a lull in my playing as my other console is a loud jet engine that I fear will overheat. I am also paranoid about the repair folks giving me some feedback that the console is fine, because the behavior is not predictable, and requires one to be running games.

Has anyone else had any similar problems?

I'll be putting in my repair request as soon as I find a box to ship my console in. I know to remove the hard drive and keep that, but should I keep the small grill to the hard drive slot when I send it in?

I currently kind of have a problem like this, but on mine its the HDD and not the system. My HDD will sometimes not read discs, but will read them when I take the HDD off. Also switched my HDD to my bro's and it reads normally so it has to be my HDD. This problem sucks for me as It will take a while for my console to read the disc with my HDD in tact. Usually works like th 4th or 5th time I read the disc.

The problem could be the HDD, but test out something before you ask for help. Let me know if you tried something else.

I currently kind of have a problem like this, but on mine its the HDD and not the system. My HDD will sometimes not read discs, but will read them when I take the HDD off. Also switched my HDD to my bro's and it reads normally so it has to be my HDD. This problem sucks for me as It will take a while for my console to read the disc with my HDD in tact. Usually works like th 4th or 5th time I read the disc.

The problem could be the HDD, but test out something before you ask for help. Let me know if you tried something else.

Well, I recall trying to recreate the issue with the HDD removed. I used a thumb drive instead, and the issue still popped up. I could try doing stuff like that again.

My slim started having problems, so I traded it in and swore off Microsoft hardware for the future. The 360 was nothing but a hassle for me, always having to send in consoles for repairs.

I got a Jasper fat back in December of 09', but only recently has the CD button door been having some problems. I have to hold it down for quite some time to get it to eject. Works fine via controller, but I'm a bit worried (>>).

At least though if it does bust, it's an easy fix it's just a cd rom drive! :D

I got a Jasper fat back in December of 09', but only recently has the CD button door been having some problems. I have to hold it down for quite some time to get it to eject. Works fine via controller, but I'm a bit worried (>>).

At least though if it does bust, it's an easy fix it's just a cd rom drive! :D

Fortunately you can fix something like that yourself.