HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
gaiages

Pound of Flesh (An Article About Gearbox)

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/11/12/pound-of-flesh/

A bit of an old article, but an interesting read, and a bit more relevant now than it was in November. Only slightly, though.

Basically, it goes over how the original Borderlands' art style is *very* similar to a certain stylized movie. While this news was revealed a long time ago by Kotaku (here's that article), no one ever bothered to ask the movie director himself his thoughts on Borderlands' similarities, and that's what this article does.

In light of Gearbox's messing up of the new Aliens game, everyone will be sure to enjoy another case of Gearbox being lame, right?

Any thoughts? I take the article with a grain of salt myself, but it's an interesting read regardless :)

Guest ...

A lot of movies and games are based of things. It's what inspires developers to make even better games. To be perfectly honest I don't care what a game looks like or where it comes from or who it reminds people of. As long as it is good I will be having fun with it.

As for Gearbox they have made poor choices in the past but over all I think they are a pretty decent company. I wouldn't put them with EA and Capcom just yet lol.

I... I just posted that up! D: There's no way you actually read that article in two minutes :P I just summarized quickly, the way I say things doesn't always reflect the way the article says things. The main draw is the interview with the movie director, even if the actual article itself seems scathing.

Guest ...

I... I just posted that up! D: There's no way you actually read that article in two minutes :P I just summarized quickly, the way I say things doesn't always reflect the way the article says things. The main draw is the interview with the movie director, even if the actual article itself seems scathing.

I clicked the link and schemed through I could summarize it for you if you want. I read a lot so I'm a pretty fast reader.

Basically they are interviewing the maker of the movie. He says that his idea was scraped but they went ahead with it anyway. He doesn't seem to be complaining or crying about it but he does seem put off by what they did. And honestly who wouldn't be?

But he is reacting very maturely to it and I'm honestly surprised he hasn't made a bigger deal out of it. Classy guy. They should have worked on it with him.

So while a lot of people like you said are being very critical about it the director is being a pretty classy guy about the situation.

Pretty interesting read; I really have to wonder how many publishers are going to trust Gearbox with developing a game now, maybe outside of 2K games since the Borderlands series is a big hit.

Personally, I've lost any respect for them I used to have; it's funny because I used to think Randy Pitchford was an intelligent guy (and he still is, to a degree), but he embezzled money, misappropriated trust, and cheated SEGA out of what would have (probably) otherwise been a decent title had Gearbox actually handled all of the development and not outsourced it to external developers. Now it looks like they're guilty of copying/stealing art as well. -_-

Haha! Touche, good Kiky. :P Touche indeed. I agree with you, as well... while a lot of people are really getting negative and critical about it, the director of the movie himself is quite calm and composed about the whole ordeal. If I were in his position, especially after being contacted by Gearbox for some possible help and then getting ousted, I don't know if I could react the same.

@Jason - Yeah, it's another bad strike for Gearbox there. xD It's interesting to note that this article came out before the debacle about Aliens too, so it's not trying to ride the Gearbox hate wave (though it did get featured or something very recently in Forbes, if the comments are to be believed, so there's something)

Just for the record, my opinion on Gearbox... I mostly don't have one. :P I've heard things, but I haven't even played one of thier games, so it's all 'whatevz' to me.