HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ludono

What's Your Internet Speed?

So with the heavy focus on a digital future, and with consoles supposedly being online only I thought we could do a quick little comparison of speeds here. Is your internet ready for the future?

EDIT: Feel free to post what type of service you get and your locale (urban, rural etc) Thanks Marcus!

You can check your speed at Speedtest.net

Here is my result. I'm supposed to be getting 50/5 which is the highest my ISP offers (the only ISP in the area unfortunately) so it's pretty dead on (though I'm pretty sure it throttles in the evening).

EDIT: I live in a relatively suburban/rural area, though I am close to a major city so that may affect something.

2631679214.png

How about you guys?

Nice post idea, Ludono. I think it would also be helpful for peeps to mention their general area (rural/city/suburb/college) as well as if they have an ISP that uses data caps.

2631692484.png

I live in the city, I guess, although it's not like a metropolis. I don't remember anymore, but I think the advertised speed is 20 for DL at least so that's a bit better in my case. This is the highest tier from Time Warner Cable in my area as well.

Guest ...

Heres mine.

2631744336.png

C-? Absurd! not even my algebra teacher would give me a C- Lol just kidding. I know it could be better but it's not bad so I don't mind specially with this silly 5+ year old lappy thats falling apart.

Nice post idea, Ludono. I think it would also be helpful for peeps to mention their general area (rural/city/suburb/college) as well as if they have an ISP that uses data caps.

I live in the city, I guess, although it's not like a metropolis. I don't remember anymore, but I think the advertised speed is 20 for DL at least so that's a bit better in my case. This is the highest tier from Time Warner Cable in my area as well.

Added to the OP

Yeah, seems like "city folk" have better ping, though that's likely because the Speedtest servers are usually located in cities. Not a big fan of Time Warner either, much preferred Verizon when I had them but oh well....

and LOL @ Kiky's ISP name.

Guest ...

Added to the OP

Yeah, seems like "city folk" have better ping, though that's likely because the Speedtest servers are usually located in cities. Not a big fan of Time Warner either, much preferred Verizon when I had them but oh well....

and LOL @ Kiky's ISP name.

Yes I know... lol

Anyway at least it is stable.

2631773728.png

...Yeah.

If only I was downloading 1MB/s. That would be better than the 200-300 KB/s I actually get.

I live in the middle of nowhere though. It's 15-16 miles to the nearest Walmart or McDonald's, if that tells you anything. :\

Here's my current speed in the dorms right now. I know back at home it's way less than this one.

2631885935.png

2632373063.png

This is mine. Not too bad...

I'm guessing I'm in a rural area. We live out in the country. Like... There's a cow pasture across the street from me. xD

My phone beats some of these speeds... @.@

Tried mine as well and geez, I didn't realize how fast 4G LTE actually is o_o

Also my upload is better lol

419520781.png

So I have a data cap (I paid to get 50GB, but after a month they kicked me back down to 20GB, so I'll probably change providers) and this is the speed when I go over that data cap.

2632791097.png

I live in New Zealand so that's like super rural.

I'm sorry for that horrible internet, Khorne. I've been there before and it's painful. Hopefully you'll get a better service in the future.

2633548520.png

I could get faster speeds (Up to 30mbps) if I switched to a DOCSIS 3.0 device but I really don't want to buy a new modem, this does the trick for me

2633731787.png

Not as good as some but still above average. I live in a city and I guess it is a pretty big city. I know comcast have a higher tier for us but this is fine.

420015316.png

This is from my S3 4G from Tmobile. It is really fast for me but it has nothing on Lud 4G LTE. Tmobile need to get a few LTE towers going.

This is from my S3 4G from Tmobile. It is really fast for me but it has nothing on Lud 4G LTE. Tmobile need to get a few LTE towers going.

T-mo is actually beginning to get some up this year

Not that faster cell phone connections are bad, but do we really need monster speeds for our cellphones? lol

Especially considering most people have data caps, mine caps out at 2gb.

Not that faster cell phone connections are bad, but do we really need monster speeds for our cellphones? lol

We live in a world of instant gratification

T-mo is actually beginning to get some up this year

I actually just heard that last night. So I'm excited.

And yes, the faster the better. You can never go wrong with faster speed. And yes I have a "data cap". Technically mine is unlimited because of the grandfather clause. But I never even get toward my 5gb limit so I still have plenty of room to shoot for haha.

I actually just heard that last night. So I'm excited.

And yes, the faster the better. You can never go wrong with faster speed. And yes I have a "data cap". Technically mine is unlimited because of the grandfather clause. But I never even get toward my 5gb limit so I still have plenty of room to shoot for haha.

I was grandfathered in until I recently switched my plan but even though you're technically grandfathered in, if you go over 5gb, they throttle your connection so much it becomes useless :(

My Internet suuucks. I'd like to trade with TK or Ludono.

2637340713.png

2631773728.png

...Yeah.

If only I was downloading 1MB/s. That would be better than the 200-300 KB/s I actually get.

I live in the middle of nowhere though. It's 15-16 miles to the nearest Walmart or McDonald's, if that tells you anything. :\

I didn't know Bell South still existed. My first cell phone in the 90s was Bell South.

2640255788.png

Ouch indeed. This is my speed at home away from the dorms.

I wish I was at Georgia Tech still. Be awesome to see the speed they have. I bet there speed will get a grade of A+++.

I wish I was at Georgia Tech still. Be awesome to see the speed they have. I bet there speed will get a grade of A+++.

Yeah most universities/schools have that fast internet and way better than the ones we have lol. Actually our dorm room we pitch in to pay monthly for super high speed comcast.