HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

What Are Your Hopes/Fears for Next Generation?

We're just a few weeks away from Microsoft's press conference where they plan to unveil their plans for the next Xbox, so I thought I'd get some thoughts from you guys on what you're anticipating from next-gen and what you're afraid of as well.

For me, I'm a little more worried than hopeful about next gen. With the Wii U's slow start, I have to wonder if the same thing will happen to PS4 and the Nextbox, especially if they're pretty pricey ($399 and above). Each of the big three have their weaknesses as well: Nintendo needs to prove to consumers why they should buy the Wii U, Sony is on unstable ground with their business overall, and MS has a lack of exclusives compared to the other two. It'll be interesting to see how each tackles their respective issues.

My biggest fear right now is for Wii U; will Nintendo be able to keep third party support going? People always admit that they mostly buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, which is mostly true; and I'm sure they'll be a lot of awesome first-party titles, but if Ninty can't most of the same third party titles PS4 and Nextbox are getting, that'd be a bad situation for them.

The reason for that, as Pachter outlined, is that in the past (and especially during the Wii period), Nintendo makes a large percentage of their money through royalties on every game sold, so if there's little third party support, that's a good percentage of money they won't be getting this time around. That, and the fact that many new game engines won't run on it (Frostbite 3, CryEngine 2, Unreal Engine 4) does have me worried that they may be left out of the loop. But who knows, they might be able to pull through and find a way to make third party games work.

What about you guys? Biggest hopes/fears for next generation?

For me, it's just the overall concern which how Sony and Microsoft plans on handling the initial response of the new consoles. Sure, the PS4 and Durango will offer new features. But I'm sure a lot of people are content with what their PS3 and Xbox 360 still has to offer.

• Like 1

Guest ...

Fear: Always online.

Hope: More indie games.

Fear: Always online.

Hope: More indie games.

Lol, I'm not sure how I forgot about the "always online" issue; that's definitely something to be concerned about. xD

Guest ...

Lol, I'm not sure how I forgot about the "always online" issue; that's definitely something to be concerned about. xD

Always online is always a fear in my mind. Hey that rhymed.

That was awful xD

Fear: 0 I have seen or heard about either console has me the least bit impressed

Hope: They drop in price soon :P

Fears: too much sharing, nothing incredibly impressive, always online (but this is something I'm doubting), even more subscription based or DLC style business models.

Hopes: More indie games that may bring people back to the roots of gaming? Some creative use of the new tech. Maybe better motion/touchscreen controls. (smartphone/tablet games included)

This generation of gaming seems kind of stepping into that direction. Anyways here are my thoughts.

Fears:
-Always Online
-Online Passes
-Price hike
-Overpriced DLCs/Season Pass
-More tech gimmick stuff
-Subscription based stuff
-Game delays due to problems in the company or such.
-More socializing apps or anything that makes us share on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Does anyone care what we play or what achievements/trophies we get?

Hopes:
-Better launch price
-Free DLC (Look at Portal and some other games)
-Sony needs a better chat service and I hate the PS3's chat service
-Stop with the tech gimmick, we just want to play games
-Microsoft points needs to go away (I remember they were talking about using the cash system soon)
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Stop making more sequels to XIII lol.
-Can't we just play games and not have so many bullcrap of ads and other stuff. xD

I have a lot more to say, but I'm busy at the time so will edit this post lol.

Hmmm.... I think my opinions align a lot with Blazekynt in his console stagnation blog.

Nothing's really changing in the world of gaming.  Sure, the Wii U has a Gamepad, but... heck, even that is not that innovative--It reminds me of a console version of a DS.  It probably won't be nearly as popular as the portable, mind you, but hey.

As for the PS4, what new things are they really showing off?  You can stream what you're playing, which is neat, and the specs are higher, but there's nothing new or exciting.  The PS3 had the allure of playing online, and all the advantages of having a console able to access the internet easily, but the PS4 really has nothing new going for it.

I'm worried it'll be the same for the new xbox.  There may not be anything to get excited about.

Then there's the whole problem of the same-y games and sequelitis, and it seems the industry as whole is stagnating.  There's the indie market, sure, but that's not enough to impact the mainstream industry in the manner it needs to. :(

I'm, uh, not really excited for much, as you can see. :P

I think we've hit that point where we have too much entertainment and too much...STUFF crammed into what used to be just a device to play a game with. The PS2, Gamecube and Xbox were the probably the last generation to just play GAMES. With this generation we've seen the PS3 and Xbox 360 transform from "next gen game systems" to the centerpiece of the entertainment center. You can watch movies, buy movies, streams movies, browse the web, tweet, facebook, upload pictures, edit pictures and video, listen to music, buy music, stream music, chat with friends, JUST SO MUCH STUFF. 

The freaking Xbox dashboard is nothing more than a giant billboard full of ads at this point. I don't WANT all these social networking, netflix streaming, instant gratification garbage. I just want to play games. 

So my fear is, that the companies will forget their roots as GAMING consoles and turn into mass market "everything" devices. Oh, and always online of course. Stupid.

I think my biggest fear is for the gaming market itself. I wonder how long will it last. With this generation and how the economy has been you see how some game released with high expectation just don't do well in sales and ending up hurting the developers. You see how many company closed down and even the bigger one will close down their smaller developing team to save money. What will really happen now? Will we only get big AAA titles of the same IP where people know they will make a decent amount of money? Will we stop getting those middle game where it isn't exactly indie but it is not a big AAA title? Just a lot to see.

Of cousre I am concern for always online, the used game market (even if I don't prefer used game), and pricing. But none of this will matter if eventually one day game will not be a major player in the entertainment industry. But I doubt this will just stop one day and cease to exist.

I'm hopeful that with economy getting better the gaming industry will make profit too and be able to stay alive. I'm hopeful that we won't have always online and still have a used game market. I'm hopeful that they won't go all digital content. Basically I hope that what I fear will not become true haha.