HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Jessica Chobot Apologizes (and Strikes Back)

So in case you hadn't heard, Jessica Chobot (one of IGN's and G4's video gals and also the voice and likeness of Diana Allers in Mass Effect 3) had spoken out against the fans who were disappointed in Mass Effect 3's ending, referring to them as "entitled gamers."

It seems she's backed off from that stance a bit now as she issued an apology for what was essentially a "blanket statement" she said.

You know what folks. You're 100% right. I shouldn't have mentioned anything about my feelings about "entitled gamers" when it comes to the ME3 ending (and my work in progress with it). I've done exactly what I dislike others doing and that is to make a blanketed reactionary statement based in passion and love for a series and company rather than actual fact.

Here's the thing, and it's going to sound really weird, but as a Bioware fan, this whole uproar has just made me so sad and a little heartbroken. The petition, the attacks on a female Bioware employee and the reaction I received when it was announced I was a cameo in the game just kind of...well, hurt my feelings. Plain and simple. Listen, I totally get that games are a huge investment of time and money and, as an sales product, they should provide a certain level of expectations and satisfaction for the consumer. I also am totally aware that games are now, after much fighting by the gaming community, finally considered works of art and, as art, should not always bend to what the masses want.

So, I'm torn when it comes to which side of the fence I personally (not professionally) find myself standing. All in all, I've become increasingly hyper sensitive to everything surrounding the game and should, in hindsight, just try to avoid any reference to it whatsoever since I find it difficult to be objective when it comes to my personal feelings about it. Either way, this doesn't excuse my ranting behavior. As I grow older, I need to remind myself that I should also act more mature and stepping down to a level of name calling just isn't what I want to do. So, please consider this an, "I'm sorry."

I won't post it here, but things got pretty heated in the comments between Chobot and another commenter where Chobot ended up writing a huge wall of text defending herself after the commenter insinuated she got her job after "licking a PSP" (true story, btw), saying that the incident had only given her more attention instead.

Anyhow, it's an interesting exchange if you want to read it here. Read the first two comments below the blog.

What do you guys think? Is Chobot right with what she says? Or is the commenter (Beretzik) correct with what he's saying?

Personally I think IGN is a bit of a joke for even reviewing ME3 after having such a big staff member in it.

There's a reason I asked if I could punch BOTH reporters in ME3...

This video is on the long side and is full of spoilers but it does a really good job outlining the fans' arguments against the ME3 ending.

I thought the entitled gamer argument held water before I finished the game. People can be disappointed but they can't demand a new ending. That would be crazy....

After finishing the game however, I changed my mind. In the above video you can see just how inaccurate and downright dishonest statements from Bioware were regarding the ending. Everything they said the ending wouldn't be, it was. Seeing some of their statements makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time!

PS: The artistic vision argument annoys me too. Everything except that ending was very artistically done. The ending was a Sunday night book report for a book you didn't read.

PS: The artistic vision argument annoys me too. Everything except that ending was very artistically done. The ending was a Sunday night book report for a book you didn't read.

The artistic vision angle works a lot better when you have the same head writer for everything, which ME didn't.

So I read the exchange and this stuff is hilarious (didn't read everything comment on there though, but I did at least read the one from jess and that beretzik). I love a good argument on the internet and then you see other people responding too. I haven't played the game so I can't comment on this topic much. I think both got valid points. I'm sure she have worked very hard to get her job and knows what she is talking about, probably way more than I do.

But I'm sure the "licking a psp" got her attention but I'm sure it also lead to other things. Attention leads to other things people. I don't exactly know about that incident though. Like the guy said, I would take that job too if bioware came up to me and go "yo, you want to voice this character." My answer would be "Hell yea, when do I start." So I don't blame her for doing it. I'm sure though that bioware wanted her in to help sale the game. Let's be honest, if anyone say that you get a nice looking girl involved in any project isn't to try and use her as a selling point is just denying themselves. There are reason why megan fox is in both transfomers 1 and 2 and then a VS angel was in the third movie. I mean, I watched them :D. With regards to this apology statement, I'm sure it was from IGN representative that wrote it for her to release it. I so agree that if you don't like that character then you could have just sent them off the ship and be done with it. So I guess her character isn't that important to the storyline. But yes, all this like the guy is saying is a great publicity stunt by IGN.

I think fans shouldn't be able to demand a new ending. You didn't work on it, it is a finished product, you either like it or you don't. Get over it. Like I mentioned on GDD, you don't go to a movie and complain of the ending and then call hollywood up asking them for a new movie ending right? Well, I guess I don't know, maybe people have done that. I'm sure bioware made that ending so that they can have a fourth ME. I just hate it that stores will let you return a product just because you don't like it. You should be able to return it if it is defective, not merely because of a "I don't like this." When you buy something, there is a risk involved in not liking the product. I understand that I am guilty of this and have done it before but I do feel on the principles of it, people can't just say I want a new ending and bioware have to give into it. Part of me want to say they gave in and just said this was all planned so the DLC is coming out anyways, but part of me also think they planned for the DLC just to make more money.