HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Kezins

Kindle Fire

Do any of you guys have the Kindle Fire? I currently have a regular Kindle, but have been thinking about upgrading. The main reason I want a Fire is so I can read magazines in color. My only concern about the Fire is how there is only 8GB storage. I was kind of hoping they would come out with a new one with better storage, but I haven't heard any news on any plans to come out with a new one yet.

I dunno man. Mostly from what I heard it is not a good deal. I would even go with a decent sized android rather than a Kindle Fire at this point.

I use an old Dell Streak and even that I feel is really good to use ^^

Yeah I've heard good and bad things about the Kindle. I wonder if there is an Android app for Kindle. I still want to have access to my collection of books.

My mother has a Kindle Fire. I don't do much reading myself so I don't have one, but she seems to enjoy it. It's definitely worth noting that she is a bit slow terrible with technology, however. I personally haven't used it, so I can't offer much feedback on it.

Do any of you guys have the Kindle Fire? I currently have a regular Kindle, but have been thinking about upgrading. The main reason I want a Fire is so I can read magazines in color. My only concern about the Fire is how there is only 8GB storage. I was kind of hoping they would come out with a new one with better storage, but I haven't heard any news on any plans to come out with a new one yet.

I've been wondering about this too since I've been wanting an e-reader in color, but I think the Nook has a version in color too, right? If so, then it all comes down to which e-reader has more e-books available in color, I suppose. Ah well, I'm sure there's a podunker that has one that will come along and say whether it's worth getting. :P

Being an Android enthusiast I support what Shin just said, it's better to get a decent size sized Android. With a real tablet, you can get everthing that an Android can offer. You can get 3g+WiFi instead of WiFi only, install anything on Google Play without needing to root your Kindle Fire, get battery life as much as a Kindle Fire or more with some tweaks, and even a bigger display.

However, it's totally unfair to compare Kindle Fire with another Android tablet, even when Kindle Fire is running Android.

But it is fair to compare Kindle Fire with another of the same category, which in this case is the Nook Tablet.

Hardware wise I'd say the Nook is better. It cost 50$ more but, you'll get a slightly larger and better screen, 16GB + the ability to add microSD (KF does't have this), more RAM (less lagging in apps at least), microphone (record voice), and longer longer battery life. It even supports EPUB which I sometimes use.

In terms of content, the Kindle Fire leads, I think. It gives you Amazon Prime, free cloud storage (5Gb) and also offline videos you can download.

I only have a vague idea of what is offered from Amazon and Barnes & Noble, since I do not reside in the US. That also means that my opinion is slightly biased towards the hardware capability of the devices.

So, in the end, it's up to you.

• Like 1

The kindle is just strictly for reading right? It isn't like a tablet? Am I correct on this?

The kindle is just strictly for reading right? It isn't like a tablet? Am I correct on this?

It's a tablet, just not a full-fledge tablet. It doesn't have a camera, a volume button , and most importantly Google Play (Formerly Android Market).

You might be able to use Amazon Appstore to install apps, but your choices are limited.

There are solutions to this of course which would involves a little hacking.

But mostly are the same. Made for reading, but you can also listen to music, watch videos and some light gaming.

It's a tablet, just not a full-fledge tablet. It doesn't have a camera, a volume button , and most importantly Google Play (Formerly Android Market).

You might be able to use Amazon Appstore to install apps, but your choices are limited.

There are solutions to this of course which would involves a little hacking.

But mostly are the same. Made for reading, but you can also listen to music, watch videos and some light gaming.

Okay, I rather just have a samsung tablet or ipad then. But to be honest, I rather read a physical book instead of reading on tablet. Something about just having a book in your hand seems better to me. Plus, I won't be starring at a monitor for so long.