HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Clement

Help with Ads

Question

Hey everyone,

After seeing Ciel post about the ads, it's come to my attention that something needs to be done about them, but I need input from you - the community!

We've been using Intergi as our ad network for about a year to year and a half now but they've really been spiraling downhill as of late with the kind of ads they've been displaying; the most obnoxious are the ones for a "supposed" game for adults called Wartune which feature scantily clad female CG characters.

While those are usually the worst you'll see, I want to know if you've seen any others that interfere with anything, whether they be borderline NSFW, intrusive in some way (splash ads), or something else.

Also, (assuming you're not using Ad-block) when they're not inappropriate or intrusive, do you have an easy time just ignoring them or not even having them get in the way? They do help with server costs/etc. so unfortunately they're necessary, but perhaps we can scale them back in certain areas.

Right now I'm looking into alternative ad networks to see if we can replace Intergi since I haven't been happy with them, so we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, let me know what your ad experiences have been like here, positive or negative. This'll help me determine how to proceed with the ads from here on.

23 answers to this question

I don't know but I have adplus blocker so maybe I don't notice them. Plus, I really only go to the forum so I don't notice the ads getting in my way.

Guest ...

I don't have a hard time ignoring the half naked ladies on my screen telling me things like "man only" or "I'm waiting for you master" lol.

But sometimes I get redirected to a completely random page and thats pretty annoying.

Once while I was writing up the camera obscura post I was redirected to Myspace of all things. That's the only time that has happened to me. Yesterday when I loaded up the chat I got a flashing banner ad that played audio. One of those ones that shouts WINNER at you. I'm all for ads since they help the site somewhat, but those two are kind of bad to other people visiting the site.

I mostly see half naked girls lol. There was one I kept seeing with a game chic with tan skin and tan bikini. I keep thinking what? Why is there a naked girl on GP?

just a question, why not adsense?

From what I've heard, we've run into issues with adsense in the past, but that was before I took over things, so perhaps we'll look into it again. I'm not entirely certain, but I do believe ad networks usually pay more, though.

I mostly see half naked girls lol. There was one I kept seeing with a game chic with tan skin and tan bikini. I keep thinking what? Why is there a naked girl on GP?

Yeah...I hate those ads. But thanks for bringing that up; hopefully I can change that soon.

Normally the ads don't bother me, but there's one that pops up in a new tab occasionally (doesn't do it every time thankfully) that really annoys me and caused me to turn AdBlock back on. Otherwise I don't really have a problem with them and barely notice them when I'm not blocking them.

EVIL.png

Like Jared said, I really hate talking ads like this one. This is not a joke.

Otherwise, I think Jason knows how I'm not fond of the sexualized ads as well but at this point I can ignore them (even if they aren't appropriate for GP).

I use ad-block plus or whatever on Chrome, so I do not see ads when I am at home. Are the ads actually helping pay for the site? Are you open to other means of contribution? You could create a new member color for people who donate. I would imagine the majority of people on the Internet are using some sort of ad-blocker...

I can usually ignore ads, but I absolutely cannot stand ones that talk or try to fool visitors (like the one barrel posted).

I can ignore the rest.

This reminds me of those Evony (was that what it was called?) ads from ages ago.

I have seen a few of these ads the others are talking about, but I mostly ignore them.

My ad plus blocker must be really good. Because I rarely if not I never see those winner ads or half naked chicks ads or any ads that I can recently recalled.

I don't really mind the ads. Most of the ones I've gotten recently were fine like Virgin Mobile, etc. I used to get those Wartune ones all the time during the summer though. >.<

My ad plus blocker must be really good. Because I rarely if not I never see those winner ads or half naked chicks ads or any ads that I can recently recalled.

Most of the ad blockers block all of the ads on this site, so you won't see any of them.

Anyway, Ciel has a point.  How much are the ads themselves even paying for site upkeep, when most people have an adblocker in place, and those that don't are likely scared off by the prospect of ads in themselves?  I'm more genuinely curious in the amount the ad revenue actually brings in to downright abolishing it, but I'm more worried the ads may not even be worth the trouble.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'll look more into this and try to see if we can set up a different ad provider. Apparently Yahoo's got a new good one that people have been liking recently.

But to answer your question about how profitable the ads are, I won't give specific numbers, but it's substantially more than you may think. It helps cover hosting, platform license costs, and more. Over the course of the year, it'll usually come out to several hundred. So yes, it is helping quite a bit.

What I'm not actually certain about is how much the members actually affect those numbers. If it's negligible, we could just end up not having ads displayed for registered members or maybe just one at the bottom or something, so perhaps that's something I will look into.

That is certainly a significant amount of money.

Carry on.

Guest ...

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'll look more into this and try to see if we can set up a different ad provider. Apparently Yahoo's got a new good one that people have been liking recently.

But to answer your question about how profitable the ads are, I won't give specific numbers, but it's substantially more than you may think. It helps cover hosting, platform license costs, and more. Over the course of the year, it'll usually come out to several hundred. So yes, it is helping quite a bit.

What I'm not actually certain about is how much the members actually affect those numbers. If it's negligible, we could just end up not having ads displayed for registered members or maybe just one at the bottom or something, so perhaps that's something I will look into.

It's not a big problem jason. The only real bothersome one is when the page redirects you to another one with out permeation and nobody really likes having that happen to them. But I wouldn't really worry about the half naked ladies for the most part they are ignorable.

But I wouldn't really worry about the half naked ladies for the most part they are ignorable.

Speak for yourself.

Okay, I'm temporarily removing ads for members and staff. I'll monitor for a week or so to see if things change much on ad revenue. If things don't really change that much, I'll keep it ad-free for members, but if they do, we may need to bring it back.

In the meantime, enjoy an ad-free GP. ;)

In the meantime, enjoy an ad-free GP. ;)

I already have been :P .

Speak for yourself.

Amen to this :P .

Side note:  I was just scrolling through the topics really quick and thought this said, "Help with aids"  couldn't help but thing that that was a little heavy for a GP thread if this is indeed what it was....

But it's not... carry on...

Side note:  I was just scrolling through the topics really quick and thought this said, "Help with aids"  couldn't help but thing that that was a little heavy for a GP thread if this is indeed what it was....

But it's not... carry on...

Not to trivialize the disease at all, but I got a good laugh out of that. It certainly would be, uh... interesting if anyone ever did make a thread like that here! xD

Not to trivialize the disease at all, but I got a good laugh out of that. It certainly would be, uh... interesting if anyone ever did make a thread like that here! xD

Hey, survival rates are getting better now :P