HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Clement

Thoughts on Pokemon X/Y So Far

Question

You might be wondering, do we really need a third topic on Pokemon X/Y? And the answer is...

...yes. ABSOLUTELY.

There can never be too many Pokemon threads. Also, Squirtle demands it.

squirtle_zps2d21d886.jpg?t=1381688579

ALSO, each serve a different question/purpose, and I don't want one thread encapsulating all of the conversations, s'cuz it might get confusing.

Anyhoo, I believe Leah is handling our official Pokemon Y/Z review, but lets go over some thoughts and impressions of the game. I have only a few at the moment.

The good - Visuals are pretty nice; it finally feels good to have a 3D Pokemon game. The world feels pretty vast, even though I'm only about 7 hours in. Good variety of Pokemon found early on, doesn't feel like they're just limiting it to a few like previous games (early games, mostly). Story scenes and FMVs are nice, even though things haven't really picked up all that much yet in terms of the story.

The bad - Game feels...easy-ish? I dunno, I haven't felt too much challenge yet. Maybe I'm just grinding too much. Also, this isn't necessarily bad, but... two starters (second set being the first generation three starters)? I have a hard enough time using my first starter. Also, once you get over the fact that the game is in 3D, it starts to dawn on you that it is still the same basic set-up, only a little prettier. Battles are still pretty much the same, not that I expected them to change drastically, but I dunno. It doesn't feel like they've progressed far enough. Maybe that's just me.

But yeah, those are my thoughts. Now share yours! :titan:

The Good- You aren't really limited to one of the three starter types (Fire, Water, Grass) since you can pick a different type when presented the second set of starters. Unless you're like me and take both fire types. xD There is plenty of new and old Pokemon to go for. You can customize your character. The online aspect seems to be really easy to get used to.

The Bad- Running into hordes (though I just learned today that the Pokemon in those hordes tend to have a rare ability). Adding a new type to the mix and switching some of the older Pokemons' types to it. Some of the Pokemon designs are meh, in my opinion.

I am on victory road as I type this. I love this game it is probably the best experience I have had playing Pokemon since Yellow. I know I am going to write a review soon although I guess Leah is in charge of that sort of thing, I will post it nonetheless. Here are a few thoughts:

Good

• It does not feel like a Pokemon game. It both is and is not Pokemon.
  • For once, probably because of the visual and immersion they provide, I care about the world and its people.
  • Variety--there is a lot of variety and the game has more depth than previous titles in my opinion. 
  • The new Pokemon are actually worth seeking out and capturing.
  • All the little things they added.
  • Super Training is awesome!
  • Mini games in Lumiose City are kind of fun.
  • Mega Evolutions although I wish they were activated differently. 
  • The network stuff
  • There is an attempt at deep philosophical thought... though its never completely realized.
  • I'm sure there's more I'm just too distracted over here...

Bad (Nitpicking)

• The game is too easy
  • Still playing as a kid who does not grow up.
  • Limited exploration
  • Stupid, lame, uninteresting, friends/rivals 
  • The story is just OK, the choices one makes have no consequence; the biggest one being part of the story. In other words, it does not matter what choices you make.
  • Not enough clothing options--am I being picky? 
  • Some of the locations are not very memorable. I can recall various locations form previous titles and perhaps two or three thus far in X.
  • Depending on the town, the interior of houses share the same layout.

I am on victory road as I type this. I love this game it is probably the best experience I have had playing Pokemon since Yellow. I know I am going to write a review soon although I guess Leah is in charge of that sort of thing, I will post it nonetheless. Here are a few thoughts:

Whoa, you're already on Victory Road? That's some hardcore playing right there! xD

Also, yeah, don't let the fact that Leah is reviewing it discourage you from posting your own review on a blog or something; I'm sure everyone would love to read your take as well.

Whoa, you're already on Victory Road? That's some hardcore playing right there! xD

Also, yeah, don't let the fact that Leah is reviewing it discourage you from posting your own review on a blog or something; I'm sure everyone would love to read your take as well.

I had a rare free weekend as my girlfriend worked both Saturday and Sunday. I have not played a game this much in a long, long while. I am not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing. Either way, I am pleased.

Twenty-four and and a half hour in. Do not mind me at all.

I'm only on Route 6, so I'm not too far in.  Here's my thoughts thus far:

Good: ~The graphics are sa-weet ~New region looks great ~PSS is pretty awesome ~PSS is SUPER awesome

Bad: ~Where are my Fire Pokemon darnit? (chose Chespin/Squirtle for my starters) ~Having the roller skates set to the Circle Pad's kinda lame ~Flebebe is a Flababy, I want more Fairy types available darnit!

Overall, I don't have any specific thoughts yet, other than 'awesome'.

There are quite a bit of fire Pokemon in X/Y. Did you get your Torchic? Fletchling, a pokemon you can catch at the outset, evolves into a Talonflame.

I'm only on Route 6, so I'm not too far in.  Here's my thoughts thus far:

Good: ~The graphics are sa-weet ~New region looks great ~PSS is pretty awesome ~PSS is SUPER awesome

Bad: ~Where are my Fire Pokemon darnit? (chose Chespin/Squirtle for my starters) ~Having the roller skates set to the Circle Pad's kinda lame ~Flebebe is a Flababy, I want more Fairy types available darnit!

Overall, I don't have any specific thoughts yet, other than 'awesome'.

I have Y too and there are a number of fire Pokemon I've encountered so far, from what Ciel mentioned to Litleo and... I'm sure I'm forgetting some, lol.

There are quite a bit of fire Pokemon in X/Y. Did you get your Torchic? Fletchling, a pokemon you can catch at the outset, evolves into a Talonflame.

I'm surprised at how much the Fletching family is becoming my new favorite bird Pokemon. It used to be the Pidgey family, but it looks like they've been upstaged!

I'm surprised at how much the Fletching family is becoming my new favorite bird Pokemon. It used to be the Pidgey family, but it looks like they've been upstaged!

I also think I prefer Talonflame to Pidgeot. He has a pretty cool bonus attribute in that, if he is hit with a physical attack, there is a chance to cause burn. It is rather convenient to burn an opponent that way then use fly. Although I did accidentally delete one of his fire moves that I rather liked. There is a move "rememberer" or something like that, I will see if my Talonflame can recall it... not sure how that works.

Hmm... odd, I've yet to encounter Litleo nor a Fletching.  Geez, I guess I'm just unlucky with my encounters!  xD

I have finally done a few battles through the game's matchmaking, all of which were unranked--I am having too much fun! I have to sign up on a website Game Freak provides in order to participate in ranked matches, but at the moment I am lazy.

The good - Ciel became Pokemon Champion. Congrats buddy! Woo!

The bad - I don't have a 3DS

The ugly - I have never played a handheld Pokemon

Either way...I'm sitting at this spot. :cry:
aEz1k1a.jpg

Did anyone here have this reaction while playing?

1. Get first badge.

2. Six hours later get second badge.

"Wow, this game is going to be huge. I have six more badges to collect."

3. Get those six badges in six to eight hours.

"Nevermind"

Did any of you reach the friend safari yet? I'm about to get there and i want to know what my 3 pokemon are, add me 2277-6820-1992

Did anyone here have this reaction while playing?

1. Get first badge.

2. Six hours later get second badge.

"Wow, this game is going to be huge. I have six more badges to collect."

3. Get those six badges in six to eight hours.

"Nevermind"

I have a feeling I'm about to find out. Just got the 3rd badge and seems like everything is still going slowly (and I'm 15 hours in).

Guest ...

Good.

It's adorable to see people play tradsies in the chat. It reminds me of middle school and every having GBA's trading with each other.

Bad.

Just like back then I can't participate because I don't have a Nintendo handheld xD

I'm sure you guys have felt this way too. Pretty funny thought. xD

f3e75f3b47113881aef71189ff035205-the-gre

Too funny TK, I had to go through that for Red and Blue.

@TK - I was set on using Froakie as my starter... then I got Charmander and did not touch Froakie unless I was facing fire or rock types. Heh.

I'm rocking fire types as 4 out of 6 Pokemon in my party. This is probably not good lol

I may end up getting it in December. My son wants me to play, so it will be my first time playing a Pokemon game.

Heh, I actually kicked both my starters out of my party after they were fully evolved.  Florges just ended up being the better party member with Grass moves (despite being Fairy type), and Blastoise... I just didn't feel like using.  xD  Only other time I kicked a starter outta my party was in Black, too.

EDIT: Wow, totally did not see the page two there.  This is in response to the whole mini-starter chat in the first page. ;p