HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ciel

Favorite Novel?

Mine is Herman Melville's Moby-****. I return to it often.

What is yours?

Anything I answer will likely be looked down upon as juvenile fluff compared to that, but if I had to pick one it would probably be The Mysterious Benedict Society.

This is a very tough choice to pick. Back in middle school we were assign to read Holes, Where the Red Fern Grows, and The Outsiders for English class. I really enjoyed all 3 books and loved the movie version as well. I think my favorite one out of those three would be Holes because I read that one more than 3 times during middle school. I love the story with Stanely with his bad luck and stuff. The friendship with other juveniles were great especially with Zero. Where the Red Fern Grows is really good. It's about a boy who who buys and trains two Redbone Coohound hunting dogs. It was a really emotional and great story about the boy and his love for his dogs. The ending was really sad and reminded me of my old dog when I was younger.

In high school, read To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, Great Gatsby, Great Expectations, Romeo and Juliet, MacBeth. Tough to pick which one and all of them are literary classics that I'm glad to take part and read.

To Kill A Mockingbird.

Just a masterpiece.

I have rarely read a novel multiple times.  Lord of the Flies by William Golding is one of my favorites though.

Tbh, reading books is something I'm terribly guilty of not doing these days.

THAT SAID, I really enjoyed Harper Lee's To Kill A Mocking Bird; both the book and movie are pretty classic. I also really enjoyed The Giver; that had one of the most unique and outside-the-box plots I'd ever read.

Guest ...

Classic literature up in the hizz-a-ouse. Anyway I really like Of Mice and Men. I remember reading it in middle school, then in highschool again, twice. Not because I had to do projects and I had already read the book. But because like The Dairy of Anne Frank there is just something I love about it that keeps me coming back every few years. I just really love the thought of the two main characters and the obvious but depressing ending. It's something you know is going to happen even if you have never heard of the book. But how we get there and how the author deals with it is really beautiful.

On a side note, I loves me some thug notes.

Pfft, you guys and your classical books with all the olden days worlds and stuff.

My favorite book is Ender's Game, which is odd considering (1) I don't tend to like sci-fi novels and (2) I more or less disliked the series as a whole.

But there you have it.

If we're being specific and saying novel I have to say I loved reading All Quiet on the Western Front, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Lord of the Flies. If we're saying just books, I have to say probably the Percy Jackson series, love Greek Mythology. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Atlas Shrugged it's a great book a long read though.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Atlas Shrugged it's a great book a long read though.

I prefer The Fountainhead then again I could not finish Atlas

I prefer The Fountainhead then again I could not finish Atlas

I liked the Fountainhead some what, the funny thing is like the majority of novels we're talking about were like all read my senior year of highschool, basically senior year means better novels!

I actually cannot recall what I had to read during my senior year in High School. Junior year I remember reading Gatsby and Catcher. Mice and Men was freshman. Mockinbird was both freshman and sophmore while Lord of the Flies was sophmore as well. Hmm. Odd. It migjt be because I met the English requiremnt at that point and took a poetry / creative writing class. Why can I not remember!?

If anyone has not already done so I urge them to read Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

I have bad memories of Gatsby because after we read it my Junior year, we had to write an essay about it. In my essay I talked about how in my opinion Gatsby was a villain, and she wrote in giant red marker that my opinion was wrong. :l

Another good one is Alas Babylon and Flower for Algernon.

Can't believe I forgot about Lord of the Flies.

All these books mentions here are great read.

Moby **** is an awesome choice! Definitely worth reading numerous times just to catch little things you may have not noticed the first time around.

I love so many different books, but my favorite all-time read is probably a tie between Fight Club: A Novel (which is kinda short) and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Moby **** is an awesome choice! Definitely worth reading numerous times just to catch little things you may have not noticed the first time around.

I love so many different books, but my favorite all-time read is probably a tie between Fight Club: A Novel (which is kinda short) and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

I used to really dig Chuck Palahniuk, but lately I have not been able to get into his work. I have a few of his books in my personal library, most of which I have not read. I actually prefer Fight Club the film to Fight Club the novel, but yes it is an incredible read.

Cuckoo's is another personal favorite of mine although I have not read the book in years and when I recall it, I recall the film. It is on my re-read list.

The movie with Jack Nicholson is freaking great too, for Cuckoo's Nest I mean.

The movie with Jack Nicholson is freaking great too, for Cuckoo's Nest I mean.

To be fair, every Jack Nicholson film is great.

To be fair, every Jack Nicholson film is great.

Agreed. He's a fine actor. He can really Ciel the deal with his roles in his films. I think the last one I saw with him was The Departed. Great movie. Great cast. Jack (Nicholson) of all Trades.

Guest ...

Recently been doing  a lot on Rule of Rose like character analyzes and situation thoughts.

I know the creators didn't have Lord of the Flies in mind when they created it but it really does remind me a lot of it.

Except with little girls instead of little boys. And honestly at this point the little girls are beating the little boys when it comes to just plain twisted and sadistic behavior lol. Anyone that likes Lord of the Flies should give Rule of Roles a watch.

I read The Time Machine long ago as a kid. It has been on my list of books I need to read once more now that I am adult. I am headed to the bookstore this weekend, thank you for reminding me to look for it.

I recommend everyone read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami; I know you will all adore it. As far as contemporary literature goes, it is top of the class.