HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Kezins

Pokemon X & Y or X or Y?

Question

Ok..I have a question for everyone as someone who has never gone into the Pokemon world.  With the reading I've done, I kinda figure X & Y are basically the same game with just some minor differences.  

My questions to the Pokemon people is as follows:

What are the differences between X & Y?

Can someone playing X go online against someone with Y?

And finally.. is there a conceivable reason to buy both X and Y?

LOL

I'm sure someone will solve this for me.  I plan to buy the game at the end of the month.  

4 answers to this question

Like every previous iteration of Pokemon games, one version has certain Pokemon the other one doesn't. The main legendary Pokemon of each game is also different in each game (the fancy looking one that graces the cover of the game ;) ). In some of the previous games there were other differences such as villain teams, but in X and Y it's mainly just the different Pokemon.

Of course! That's the only way to "catch em all"

If you're a big enough Pokemon fan and/or a collector you'd probably buy both but for most normal people having one copy should suffice.

1.) Some differences

Exclusive pokemon per version

2.) Yes, if you own X you can battle and trade with someone in Y.

3.) Not really. If your son has one version, buy the other so you can trade the exclusive Pokemon between the two of you.

Thanks for all the info! I actually have no idea how I avoided Pokemon all these years honestly. Even when I wrote about games and did reviews, people fought over the Pokemon stuff, so I'd always just snag the other topics. Lol

I got both, I have feeling a few years from now they're gonna end being a little bit harder to find, but for now I'm playing through Y.