HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Microsoft CEO Candidate Said to be Considering Selling Xbox Brand?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5080192/microsoft-ceo-candidate-stephen-elop-bing-xbox-rumors

So, this is probably the strangest rumor of the day, but according to the Verge, Microsoft CEO candidate Stephen Elop would consider selling off the Xbox brand and Bing if he were to become CEO.

Of course, this probably doesn't have a shot of happening because the board has the final say on such decisions, but it's a strange rumor, nonetheless.

What do you think? Would Xbox be better off without MS, or would it crumble?

I think we'd be better off without Xbox under Microsoft, but I don't see it happening. I can cross my fingers though. Maybe someone who knows how to do hardware could take over.

It depends entirely on who bought it. The reason why the Playstation and Xbox are able to be successful is because they have Sony and Microsoft behind them. Only a huge corporation could afford to sell millions of units at launch each at a loss then make it successful in the end. Think about the fail rate of the 360 at the beginning. Even a middle sized corporation could not have afforded to replace all those and hope to make profits in the long run. It would be interesting but I don't believe it could ever happen. Is the Xbox brand without Microsoft even that valuable?

Guest ...

I don't really care, the only reason why microsoft is relevant in my life is because they are in direct competition with Sony. And their choices affect how Sony reacts. Other then that I could really care less what they do with that.

Does this mean we will finally get the Y-Box? 

I think the Xbox brand would suffer greatly without Microsoft. How else would Xbox be able to buy up exclusive rights to games and DLC content without Microsoft's money? Aside from Halo and Gears Of War, they don't really have much to offer in first party games.

And this is why he won't become their next CEO.

• Like 1

I can see Mountain Dew and Doritos fighting for the brand. Most likely Mountain Dew because of the green color. I can imagine Dew Box or Mountain Box.