HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Royzoga

Custom Characters: Genders

So, I saw this interesting video the other day exploring the psychological aspect of why people enjoy playing video games as girls or as guys. For example, like why people like Fem Shep as opposed to Male Shep beyond just the voice acting. Or even going as far as to being a female in an MMO so more people are willing to help you, yes people do that.

What I want to know though is do you guys do this? And if so why, or if not, why not? When given the option of choosing the main character's gender, which do you choose?

I almost always go male, it's what gender I am and I don't really see the appeal of being able to play as another gender. Not to say that it doesn't exist, it just does literally nothing for me.

The video I'm referring to can be found...

I choose female for two reasons:

1.) There are too many male protagonists, why would I want to be another?

2.) Skimpy dressed women > Steroid-enthusist mocho men

I usually just do one and then the other in subsequent playthroughs/alternate characters (in MMOs) but I don't have any particular reason. I don't do it all the time either (my first and second playthroughs of Mass Effect were both with male Shepards) so I guess it just depends on which one I feel like doing when I start up the game.

The only time it really matters is if I have a certain archetype in mind for my character (usually in MMOs since those offer more freedom of your character's personality than most games) so, like, if I wanna be a big dumb brute I'll make him a male, or if I want a sassy black character who don't take jive from nobody I'll usually do fem...oh, wait:

BD7p0GKCEAI7wMKjpglarge_zpsd8938973.jpg

Nevermind. xD

• Like 1

Where are your cat ears, Venom? I don't see golden cat ears on that Sheppard!

Where are your cat ears, Venom? I don't see golden cat ears on that Sheppard!

I haven't played ME since long before 3D World was announced, but now that you mentioned it I HAVE TO HAVE THAT EVEN IF I HAVE TO MAKE THE MOD MYSELF

I haven't played ME since long before 3D World was announced, but now that you mentioned it I HAVE TO HAVE THAT EVEN IF I HAVE TO MAKE THE MOD MYSELF

Or just photoshop the ears on, and then you can debate whether it'll be on a girl or guy haha.

Or just photoshop the ears on, and then you can debate whether it'll be on a girl or guy haha.

If I start doing that I'll start photoshopping cat ears on ALL THE THINGS so it won't really matter what the gender is. If the thing even has a gender, since I might just put cat ears on a toaster or something, because why the hell not?

I just do whatever feels right in the narrative in my head. FemShep's acting is better, my Starbound character is a woman, and my Saints Row characters are always women, but in FFXIV, I play a male character, in KotOR I, Female. KotOR 2, male. Star Trek Online, female, and so forth.

Basically whatever character seems to "click" in my head best. I passively build a story for any character I play to decide what kinds of decisions they'd make, so that informs all the details and stuff. There's a great deal of "immersing" in the character, and I don't really feel like any of that really interferes with it.

Rule of thumb: If game offers neko, go neko.

KotOR I, Female. KotOR 2, male.

I think that's reverse canon, of the hilarity.

I think that's reverse canon, of the hilarity.

It's 1:1 accurate of MY canon. I know in SWToR they had them switched (since you encounter both, in a manner of speaking), but head canon trumps all.

It's 1:1 accurate of MY canon. I know in SWToR they had them switched (since you encounter both, in a manner of speaking), but head canon trumps all.

That game is so silly with it's like multiverse of stories and past lives stuff. Also Kreia's a jerk, but a smark jerk.

If I am given a choice, I usually play as a women. I do it to help balance out all the boring tough dudes in other games.

I just pick it based on what u feel fits the class. Like in Titan quest my tank is a male because i associate tank as a macho dude taking all the hits. I made the mistake of making a spell caster as a dude, I think to me a female fits better. In SWTOR I play a female jedi consular because I saw the image of a female consular first.

Guest ...

If given the choice I usually do more then one play through, Once as female then as male. Then I go with what ever. Like in skyrim I have over 7 characters and I think 4 are male. My favorite character was also a male. He was a goody to shoes, and my first female was a rouge thief xD.

Male or female never I never really  cared about the only time that I found something that made it different was the armor. The males in skyrim have cooler armor then the females so maybe thats why I went with the males just a little more.

If I don't have the choice I don't really care I have played guys as charming as Drakes and bro fests such as bullet storm. I take them all for what they are. Though I do enjoy lightning... specially when shes punching snow... again and again and again...

I usually pick female characters when given the option. I think it's simply a variety thing for me and trying something different...even if they usually don't have it great in a lot of western RPG's (fewer and worse romance options, for example. Or better gear for males only). Also, sometimes another factor is simply voice, like let's be real, Femshep voice >>> MaleShep. Well, except in the weird instance of Saints Row 3/4 where I picked a female character with a British male voice (I thought the male voices were better overall), and that amused me far more than it should've /maturity.

And yeah, in a lot of fighting games I usually find the mechanics much more interesting with female characters and usually people tend to avoid playing them aside from like top-tier characters. Like I wrecked a lot of people in Blazblue because they have no idea how to deal with Mu's mechanics or Shadow Labrys in P4A. While you pretty much see the same, usually male, characters online in fighting games, so that also goes into my thing with variety and trying something different in games (although, I play dudes in fighting games too certainly, if they fight cool or have complex mechanics like Carl in Blazblue).

I think the only exception is when playing Tearaway, where the game directly refers to "You" and that would be beyond weird if I personally was addressed as a lady, rather than my character where I can feel more detached. That, or like Kikyou1 said, maybe there is armor or a class that is specific to a male and I may rarely veer towards that (but usually it is very insignificant so I still pick a woman).

• Like 1

Rather interesting to see everyone's opinions on this. I would have sworn a few of you may have had deeper reasons behind gender swapping, but I suppose it's sometime good enough a reason if the voice acting is better or if there are simply not enough female protagonists in the gaming universe.

Well, except in the weird instance of Saints Row 3/4 where I picked a female character with a British male voice (I thought the male voices were better overall), and that amused me far more than it should've /maturity.

To be fair, that is the best voice option in any of the games. xD

I always play as a woman when given a choice, no matter what. Like a lot of you said, nearly all games have a male protagonist so when I get an opportunity to play as a woman, I take it. It's a change of pace, and makes the game way more relatable for me.

Guest ...

The way I look at it games that let you pick your gender let you customize your characters behavior/attitude in the first place. So genders not really a big deal sense you are playing as what you want to play as.

How ever take uncharted and tomb raider with defined characters that don't let you pick genders. This two in my opinion have a bit in common but a lot of differences. Imagine drake as a female, no not Lara, just drake as a female. When characters behaviors are predetermined is when it would get really interesting to pick a gender, since they are not controlled by your wants of their behavior patterns.

Guess it depends on the game for me. I like to play as the character that fits into the story. When it comes to Mass Effect, female Shep definitely fits the story more in my opinion.

I generally play as male, because I'm a male. I also don't play too many games where picking gender is even available. If possible, I generally do male, and then a female on a later playthrough.

Kiwi lets the dice decide most of the time, unless Kiwi has a specific character he wants to play.

And because Kiwi's a colossal nerd, he makes up backstories and personalities and such for them.

Guest ...

Kiwi lets the dice decide most of the time, unless Kiwi has a specific character he wants to play.

And because Kiwi's a colossal nerd, he makes up backstories and personalities and such for them.

You are speaking to someone that RPed a woodland elf in skyrim that was a hunter. No not a cool man hunter but an animal hunter with a bow. He could only make weapons/armor out of what he made or sell the hide. He also had a back story.

If you are a nerd what does that make me? lol