HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Ludono

Sticky Threads....

Question

I'm not sure which of the mods handle the stickying and unstickying of threads but there are a few qualms I'd like to point out. Some threads should be stickied yet aren't and get buried which makes it hard to find them when trying to post something in them resulting in duplicate threads being created, like this one ;)

Threads that are currently stickied but maybe shouldn't

Fan Art Gallery Thread - Similar in nature to GP Art Gallery Thread, but not featuring community created content. Hasn't been posted in since May.

Advertise Your Streams / LP's Here - Lets face it, not too many of us stream or post LP's on a regular basis. Perhaps this thread could be merged into the OP of the Gaming videos thread?

GP Smash Bros. Gaming Night - Redundant since there is a Game Night Thread, also this Gamenight already happened lol

Summer Gaming Challenge - It's Winter.

Threads that aren't sticked and should

Gaming Videos Thread - As mentioned above, this is a great thread that was active for a time but got buried and lost resulting in a duplicate thread. Having it be easily accessible would encourage more posts I think.

Gaming Screen Shots Thread - I'm pretty sure it used to be stickied, but it no longer is. Should definitely be stickied because it's both regularly active and features community content sharing.

Post Your Desktop Thread / Post Your Picture / Post Your Food - Simple threads, but consistently active. Should be easy to find and would encourage more posts if it were so. Only problem I can see is that there are quite a few other threads similar to these so perhaps some merging or consolidating is in order?

What Have You Seen Recently? - No idea why this isn't stickied. Very different from the recommendation thread that is the only stickied thread in the TV and Movie sub forum.

Post and Rate Random Songs - Most active thread in the music sub form. 

What Are You Reading - Same reason "What are you playing" thread is stickied.

What Anime/Manga Are you Watching/Reading - See above.

Oh and having an entire sub forum devoted to characters seems excessive. Could just as easily put those threads in general gaming etc.

Will add to this possibly.

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Roy and I were looking for that gaming videos thread! There it is!

Lud for mod. 

While we are at it, can we please merge Bonfire and Member Lounge? They're the same darn thing and I am old and slow and get confused and lost easily.

While we are at it, can we please merge Bonfire and Member Lounge? They're the same darn thing and I am old and slow and get confused and lost easily.

Only they aren't. Well, not entirely. Members Lounge is only viewable by members when signed in, Bonfire is visible to anyone. So for stuff like post your pics and other such slightly more personal stuff that you only want to share with members on this site I feel it's important to have a members only forum. That said, having a public off-topic forum is good too.

Agree with most of what has been said here. I'm all for consolidating the forums as much as possible, I hate having to check eight different sub forums to find whatever thread I posted some random though in. 

Site navigation could use some work, is all I'm saying.

PMed this a while ago to Jason a while back, he said he was working on fixing some things but he is a busy guy. I have made some minor adjustments though.

My reason for the re-ordering of the categories themselves is that we have members that come here specifically for the game deals and so forth. By placing those at the BOTTOM of the forum it forces them to scroll through the site and maybe, just maybe their eyes will catch a topic that they are interested in contributing to. I used to admin and mod a few sites, this always seemed to work best.

The discussions I moved up and relocated to promote discussion because again, who wants to scroll to the bottom of the page? Also by having them all in the middle rather than discussion, game deals, discussion, something else, discussion, it shows that we are a community driven forum and like to talk!

>>>>> Represents a sub-category within a particular board.

WELCOME TO GAME PODUNK
----------------------

Information and Annoucements
>>>>Podunk Help Desk
Welcome New Members
Game Podunk Contests
>>>> Active Forum Posters Win the Prize Vault

GP PODCASTS
---------------

The Game Podunkast

COMMUNITY AND NETWORK
---------------------

GP News Zone

GP Videos
Members Lounge (combine w/ Bonfire Chatting)

VIDEO GAMES DISCUSSION
----------------------

General Game Discussion (combine: Iconic Game Chracters threads under here)
External Game News
Sony
Microsoft
Nintendo
PC, Mac,& Mobile
Retro & Classic

POPULAR ENTERTAINMENT
---------------------

Computer, Gadget, & Technology
Digital Media (combine: Tv, Movie, Blu-ray & Music and Audio. The forums are both empty, combing them would make it look more active)
Book, Magazines, Comic, & eReader
Anime & Manga

SHOPPING DEALS, CONTESTS, AND SWEEPSTAKES
-----------------------------------------

Put eBay and Amazon as sub categories under "Deals from Major Online Retailers"
Other Deals, Contests, and Giveaways

I unpinned three of your suggestions but kept the streaming one stickied (although I or someone else might change that, since I definitely see your point. I'll leave it there for now though.). Sticky threads don't always have to be active to serve their purpose. Like people rarely post their Microsoft gamer tags, but it shouldn't be buried in the forums if people want to use that as a quick reference.

And just because a thread is active doesn't mean it should be stickied . Actually, in some ways that probably gives us less incentive to, because it has far less risk of being buried. I don't usually handle the sticky topic stuff, but what I interpret from how we sticky topics it is usually based on serving a specific function: like community events, important information (or is just informative), and the sort. For example, even if a thread where people post cat gifs is popular (Please. Please. Don't do that), it doesn't need to be stickied, because it is a sort popcorn(y) thread without any real purpose.  At least that's my mindset, I don't really handle this stuff usually.

Maybe the nicer mods will sticky the other threads you want, but I dunno, I personally am not really seeing a case for most of them (but I did sticky the "What anime/manga are you reading/watching", "what are you reading" and "what have you seen recently", since we have similar threads stickied in different forums. And I definitely understand the gaming videos thing, but I'll leave it to the other mods to decide how they want to organize the two. I say this because now that PS4/Xbox One have streaming options built in, I'm not sure which should deserve more attention).

Sub forum control is Jason's domain. So bug him about that.

I unpinned three of your suggestions but kept the streaming one stickied (although I or someone else might change that, since I definitely see your point. I'll leave it there for now though.). Sticky threads don't always have to be active to serve their purpose. Like people rarely post their Microsoft gamer tags, but it shouldn't be buried in the forums if people want to use that as a quick reference.

And just because a thread is active doesn't mean it should be stickied . Actually, in some ways that probably gives us less incentive to, because it has far less risk of being buried. I don't usually handle the sticky topic stuff, but what I interpret from how we sticky topics it is usually based on serving a specific function: like community events, important information (or is just informative), and the sort. For example, even if a thread where people post cat gifs is popular (Please. Please. Don't do that), it doesn't need to be stickied, because it is a sort popcorn(y) thread without any real purpose.  At least that's my mindset, I don't really handle this stuff usually.

Maybe the nicer mods will sticky the other threads you want, but I dunno, I personally am not really seeing a case for most of them (but I did sticky the "What anime/manga are you reading/watching", "what are you reading" and "what have you seen recently", since we have similar threads stickied in different forums. And I definitely understand the gaming videos thing, but I'll leave it to the other mods to decide how they want to organize the two. I say this because now that PS4/Xbox One have streaming options built in, I'm not sure which should deserve more attention).

Sub forum control is Jason's domain. So bug him about that.

Well yeah, that's why I didn't mention stuff like the Gamertag/PSN/NNID threads because those should be at the top of their respective forums and easily accessible despite not being *active*. Those are more of "reference" threads, and definitely need to be stickied since they'd get buried otherwise. 

Well, thread activity fluctuates a lot here, and oftentimes (such as when a Prize Vault is announced) there is a massive influx of new 1-3 reply threads that bury the other threads. Hence stuff like the Gaming Videos or Screenshots get buried.

I definitely see your point, and I was pretty hesitant to suggest putting the "post your ____" threads as stickies. I think you're right about not stickying those. Initially the only reason I even suggested it was because they feature community content sharing which I think we all agree should be encouraged along with discussion.

PMed this a while ago to Jason a while back, he said he was working on fixing some things but he is a busy guy. I have made some minor adjustments though.

My reason for the re-ordering of the categories themselves is that we have members that come here specifically for the game deals and so forth. By placing those at the BOTTOM of the forum it forces them to scroll through the site and maybe, just maybe their eyes will catch a topic that they are interested in contributing to. I used to admin and mod a few sites, this always seemed to work best.

The discussions I moved up and relocated to promote discussion because again, who wants to scroll to the bottom of the page? Also by having them all in the middle rather than discussion, game deals, discussion, something else, discussion, it shows that we are a community driven forum and like to talk!

>>>>> Represents a sub-category within a particular board.

WELCOME TO GAME PODUNK

----------------------

Information and Annoucements

>>>>Podunk Help Desk

Welcome New Members

Game Podunk Contests

>>>> Active Forum Posters Win the Prize Vault

GP PODCASTS

---------------

The Game Podunkast

COMMUNITY AND NETWORK

---------------------

GP News Zone

GP Videos

Members Lounge (combine w/ Bonfire Chatting)

VIDEO GAMES DISCUSSION

----------------------

General Game Discussion (combine: Iconic Game Chracters threads under here)

External Game News

Sony

Microsoft

Nintendo

PC, Mac,& Mobile

Retro & Classic

POPULAR ENTERTAINMENT

---------------------

Computer, Gadget, & Technology

Digital Media (combine: Tv, Movie, Blu-ray & Music and Audio. The forums are both empty, combing them would make it look more active)

Book, Magazines, Comic, & eReader

Anime & Manga

SHOPPING DEALS, CONTESTS, AND SWEEPSTAKES

-----------------------------------------

Put eBay and Amazon as sub categories under "Deals from Major Online Retailers"

Other Deals, Contests, and Giveaways

First off, I very highly doubt anyone comes here for game deals. There are plenty of other, better sites dedicated to that. That said, we do like sharing deals when we find them. Though I think having a seperate thread for every retailer is silly. Just consolidate the "deals" forum into two sub forums: "deals" and "contests". I think that would serve it's purpose just fine.

Shouldn't GP Podcasts be merged into Community and Network? I mean GP News and GP Videos are both in there....

IF Members Lounge and Bonfire are to be combined (which I still think they shouldn't) it should a private forum, as in, you need to be logged in to view it just like the current members lounge is. 

External Game News and Characters, like I also mentioned, are pretty unnecessary. If a thread falls into either of those categories it could just as easily go into general gaming discussion.

I like the idea of merging TV, Movie and Audio etc into one sub forum, but "digital media" is a boring name and not as descriptive as say, "Movies and Music" because that's essentially what it is. No need to differentiate between Movies, TV and Bluray lol

Can't say much about the re-organization of forums and sub-forum talk, as that's something only Jason can really handle, but I'll talk bout the stickying thing for a bit.  To be honest, no one's really in charge of it, and I believe Jason does most of the stickying himself.  I do tend to sticky threads that I feel should be that aren't, but for un-stickying things, I tend to shy away, because I don't know if we actually should keep them stickied for informational reasons, or if it should be unstickied.  It's a complicated science!  ;D

Aaanyway, I agree with most of the changes barrel made.  Some of those threads should remain unstickied for a a few reasons, and stickying them because they're popular isn't really needed, because they are in fact popular.  I will lock the GP SSBB thread (if it isn't already) so that it doesn't get necro-ed or anything (I think that's what happened last time).  Might make a couple other changes too, I dunno, I'm crazy like that.

Also, to throw my opinion in on the Bonfire/Member's debacle, I think taking the bonfire threads and throwing them into the Member's Lounge, and still keeping that forum hidden, would serve the purpose well.

EDIT: Oh, and since many people tend to post links to game news in the General/console forums anyway, you're probably right that External Game News is a bit unneeded.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, and sorry if it seems like I've been absent as of late; my attention has actually been diverted to something a bit more pressing - we'll be switching web hosts in a month, so I've been trying to find an appropriate host as well as educate myself on how exactly everything will go down and what I need to know but it's been a little stressful since I've never done it before and there are multiple factors and variables that make things a little complicated in this particular case.

ANYHOW, I'll see what I can do with some of these forum changes this weekend while I have the time. The truth is that pretty much all of the categories have been the way they are since before I was made an admin, so this is the first real talk we're having about whether certain categories are necessary or not. For the record, I completely agree with most of what has already been said.

As for pinning certain threads, it's something that I rarely do, actually, unless it's something in the staff forum. If you have issue with a particular thread being pinned when it doesn't seem like it should, I'd encourage you to continue posting here about it in the future and we can discuss it. I usually leave some autonomy regarding that to the mods, like what barrel just did earlier, so feel free to ask them if needed.

First off, I very highly doubt anyone comes here for game deals. There are plenty of other, better sites dedicated to that. That said, we do like sharing deals when we find them. Though I think having a seperate thread for every retailer is silly. Just consolidate the "deals" forum into two sub forums: "deals" and "contests". I think that would serve it's purpose just fine.

This is true, though usually I post deals because I know certain people check GP a lot more often than CAG, so they might catch the deal here first. It's basically just a reminder or a notice to anyone who hasn't seen it yet rather than a primary incentive for people to check the site.

Also, agreed on the separate thread for every retailer, I'll try to consolidate all of those soon. The last admin before me was the one who made separate forums like that. xD

Shouldn't GP Podcasts be merged into Community and Network? I mean GP News and GP Videos are both in there....

The reason it isn't is because we initially planned on having more than one podcast at some point, so it was thought that having forums for each would keep things easier to find. At this point, that might not happen, so perhaps we'll move it into that category until another one happens.

IF Members Lounge and Bonfire are to be combined (which I still think they shouldn't) it should a private forum, as in, you need to be logged in to view it just like the current members lounge is.

Those two will remain separate since they serve different purposes. Bonfire Chatting is mostly an off-topic forum while Member's Lounge is for people to showcase their own works and stuff (also, it's a members-only forum).

External Game News and Characters, like I also mentioned, are pretty unnecessary. If a thread falls into either of those categories it could just as easily go into general gaming discussion.

Agreed. That one will be dissolved. It also existed before I was made admin. :)

I like the idea of merging TV, Movie and Audio etc into one sub forum, but "digital media" is a boring name and not as descriptive as say, "Movies and Music" because that's essentially what it is. No need to differentiate between Movies, TV and Bluray lol

I'm not convinced this is necessary. Audio is different from TV and Movies (which are both visual activities), though I could see why someone would make the argument that they should go together. But seeing a thread about Beyonce's new album in the TV/Movies thread amidst conversations about superhero movies, Game of Thrones, and other popular shows and whatnot would seem a bit out of place to me, which is why it's better for it to be in its own forum. This would include video game music as well.

• Like 1