HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

So...Flappy Bird

After hearing so much about Flappy Bird, I finally read up on it and... I have to say it looks terrible at a first glance, especially after seeing that the developer basically reused assets from early Mario games and the cycloptic duck is a misformed Cheep-Cheep.

So I'm curious - what do people like about the game? Just that it's difficult? And don't the visuals bother you at all? xD

Reusing assets is one thing if you at least make your own gameplay concept. It doesn't appear Flappy Bird even managed that

HtLALpf.jpg

I tried and don't like the game because it seems unfairly difficult. With that said, this is probably the exact reason why some are digging it. Sometimes games that are meanly hard become a fun (?) challenge to overcome. 

There are millions of stupid little games like this on mobile platforms, there are only so many concepts you can come up with that involve tapping the screen and holding the attention span of ADD-addled tweens. There are literally dozens of games that are the exact same thing so why does this one rise to the top?

No reason. Things go viral all the time for little to no reason :P

There are millions of stupid little games like this on mobile platforms, there are only so many concepts you can come up with that involve tapping the screen and holding the attention span of ADD-addled tweens. There are literally dozens of games that are the exact same thing so why does this one rise to the top?

No reason. Things go viral all the time for little to no reason :P

Like, I can understand the appeal of something like Tiny Wings too; I thought that one was actually well-done and didn't look like a cheap knock-off or anything, but yeah, it's amazing tome that more and more games are able to rip-off or re-use past ideas and become a viral sensation, lol.

Like, I can understand the appeal of something like Tiny Wings too; I thought that one was actually well-done and didn't look like a cheap knock-off or anything, but yeah, it's amazing tome that more and more games are able to rip-off or re-use past ideas and become a viral sensation, lol.

At least Tiny Wings had original assets (I think?) this garbage looks like someones first flash game using Mario assets....

And the worst part is the dude is apparently making $50,000 a DAY off this game. Think of how many game creators out there put hundreds if not thousands of hours into their games, and produce far better games and are lucky to make $50,000 a YEAR.

And to go off of what Marcus said, there are SO many games EXACTLY like this. I mean, heres a game from 3 years ago....

I used to play a game like this in High School. Flappy Bird is not really that hard, it is just unfair because it is inconsistent.

Ugh, I didn't care (and refused to look into it despite hearing twitter talk about it) until I saw Line Birds which looks better made, and was released years ago. But apparently like many games on the app store, it's not quality that sells a game... but rather just being at the right place at the right time.

Ugh.

Guest ...

It's just a fad.

I can also say I consider the game fun and I know that a lot of the sprite artwork including the fish/bird is from mario. I think that cactus version actually makes a lot more sense and would make it more fun. But for now I'm just taking the game for what it is. A stupid, good time.