HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Clement

Twitch Plays Pokemon ALMOST Finished!

Question

At the moment of my writing this, it appears that Twitch Plays Pokemon is almost finished. They're at the second to last Pokemon battle in the entire game.

Honestly, it's been a rough ride, but after 15 days, I almost never would have believed that a group of random people on the Internet could enter a list of random commands and beat the game eventually. It's almost like that adage about putting a bunch of monkeys in a room with typewriters and they'd eventually type out the complete works of Shakespeare. xD

If only Twitch Plays Zelda is as successful by the end; that one must be REALLY frustrating to play due to the dungeon design and such. :confused:

Anyhow, if you're interested in the end of the stream, you can catch it here: http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

14 answers to this question

The anarchy/democracy thing has been working really well. 

It's not over yet. They'll be heading to Johto.

Well, they'll be finished with Red/Blue anyhow.

Right. I wonder how many Twitch Plays there will be. They already made a Twitch Plays Adam Sessler:

I wonder how many total "moves" it will take to complete the game. It is surprising they are not tracking that... unless of course they actually are.

I think this has inadvertently spawned a new movement of internet video, live streams with audience interaction. Not to say it isn't already happening what with games on PS4 letting twitch users affect gameplay as well. But I wonder how many Twitch Plays clones we'll see now :3

I never heard of this Twitch thing.

So you go to a chat with random people and you just type input codes of the game and the game will play itself? So is the game online streamed and as you enter a code the character in the game does what you want? So basically people all in the chat seeing who types the next move the fastest and hopefully the right decision is made?

I never heard of this Twitch thing.

So you go to a chat with random people and you just type input codes of the game and the game will play itself? So is the game online streamed and as you enter a code the character in the game does what you want? So basically people all in the chat seeing who types the next move the fastest and hopefully the right decision is made?

Twitch is a streaming service. It just so happens that somehow, I don't know the specifics, someone did some fancy pants coding and made it so those that are watching are able to control the game. 99.9% of the time it is just one player, streaming, and everyone else watching and or commenting. Think, "Let's Play" but happening LIVE.

If you're looking for how Pokemon Plays Twitch actually functions/works, check the video's description for it explains it better than I can. 

It's over! They beat Blue this morning. Well, I say over but they are going to start a new game soon....

Yupyup, Twitch is itself a video game-focused streaming service. Like Ciel said, it's usually one person streaming a video game while other people tune in to watch. TwitchPlaysPokemon is a different spin on things and has since caused other similar channels to open up where the chat room "plays" the game themselves.

If anyone is interested in the specifics, it's not too hard, although it still takes a bit of ingenuity. Basically, the streamer has an emulator with a specific game running (in this case, Pokemon). They then set the keybindings of the emulator to accept strings of characters as input. For example, instead of expecting the Enter button to be pressed to make the emulated GameBoy's Start button work, they are telling it that the word "start" is the input. So basically all the keys were mapped to specific letters and words that users were then instructed to type into Twitch chat. As for the chat itself, you can run it in IRC and fashion some way to feed the keywords from that into the emulator. If everything comes together correctly, then you have yourself a running "Twitch Plays" game! 

It's over! They beat Blue this morning. Well, I say over but they are going to start a new game soon....

Yupyup, Twitch is itself a video game-focused streaming service. Like Ciel said, it's usually one person streaming a video game while other people tune in to watch. TwitchPlaysPokemon is a different spin on things and has since caused other similar channels to open up where the chat room "plays" the game themselves.

If anyone is interested in the specifics, it's not too hard, although it still takes a bit of ingenuity. Basically, the streamer has an emulator with a specific game running (in this case, Pokemon). They then set the keybindings of the emulator to accept strings of characters as input. For example, instead of expecting the Enter button to be pressed to make the emulated GameBoy's Start button work, they are telling it that the word "start" is the input. So basically all the keys were mapped to specific letters and words that users were then instructed to type into Twitch chat. As for the chat itself, you can run it in IRC and fashion some way to feed the keywords from that into the emulator. If everything comes together correctly, then you have yourself a running "Twitch Plays" game! 

Thanks Ciel and Marcus for the explanation. This is a very interesting concept but I don't think it is my cup of tea.

But maybe if we do a GP RPG twitch, now that I will join.

Thanks Ciel and Marcus for the explanation. This is a very interesting concept but I don't think it is my cup of tea.

Yeah the premise is incredibly cool and I think it is a very important... "thing" for the gaming community/world. I've been working on a blog, slowly, called, "Why TwitchPlaysPokemon is Important." But I am right there with you. In fact, the whole thing was incredibly boring to watch and even participate in.

Yeah, I find it hard to watch most of time beyond the few initial laughs. I only like to watch the stream if they are in like gym leader battles or something, because it is more focused and I think funnier for it. Like I tuned in on the Lance battle and despite all odds they managed to beat a full-health dragonite with poison using like a level 36 Butterfree (and seeing the stream chat go from "Bird Jesus and Zapdos is dead. All hope is lost" and then slowly see hope appear as Dragonite kept spamming Agility/Barrier for no reason was hilarious).

Still, this whole thing is fascinating for a sort of internet collaborative effort. That and actually succeeding too. 

And now they're going into Gen 2.  To be honest, I don't like watching the stream itself, but instead I like seeing the crazy fan art and stuff that comes outta it.  Also it's fun watching the NeoGAF thread and them freaking out over anything.

I wrote a short blog post about it, but it's not structured ot tries to analyze it or anything; I really just made it to put random thoughts about the whole thing in and littered it with fan art I liked, lol.

And now they're going into Gen 2.  To be honest, I don't like watching the stream itself, but instead I like seeing the crazy fan art and stuff that comes outta it.  Also it's fun watching the NeoGAF thread and them freaking out over anything.

I wrote a short blog post about it, but it's not structured ot tries to analyze it or anything; I really just made it to put random thoughts about the whole thing in and littered it with fan art I liked, lol.

I'll shall read it momentarily.