HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

*Updated* Predict the Best Selling and Best Reviewed Game of the Month - April 2014

Hey, so I'm trying to think of new regular thread features we can run, and this is one of a few.

Basically, just pick the game (or games) that you think will sell best and get the best reviews this month! At the end of the month, we'll see who's right and I'll keep tally of everyone's score (if they're right or not, and how many times).

Rules

• Re-releases don't count unless they add a significant amount of new content.
  • Mobile/iOS/Android games won't be counted in top-selling unless anyone specifically predicts them
  • In order to prevent people waiting till the end of the month to see which scores are the top ones, you have until the end of the first week to lock in your predictions!
  • Only one prediction for each! If you list multiple games, your first pick for each category will be selected as your official predictions.

------------------------------

For March, I'm going to go with Titanfall as the best-selling game and InFamous: Second Son as the best reviewed game.

------------------------------

Updated 4/5/2014

Monthly Top Rating Guessed Correctly

March 2014 - Dark Souls II

• Ludono

April 2014 -

Monthly Top Selling Guessed Correctly

March 2014 - TitanFall (duh)

• Jason
  • Ciel
  • Venom
  • TK
  • DarkCobra
  • Kikyou
  • Ludo
  • Laddie
  • John
  • Roy

Top Ratings Guessed Correctly

Ludono - 1

Everyone Else - 0

Top Selling Games Guessed Correctly

Jason - 1

Ciel - 1

Venom - 1

TK - 1

DarkCobra - 1

Kikyou - 1

Ludo - 1

Laddie - 1

John - 1

Roy - 1

• Like 1

Umm... Titanfall for both. I truly cannot wait to read all the reviews of this game--good or bad. I look forward to them more than I do the game itself.

Next question.

• Like 1

As sad as it makes me, Titanthing will obviously be the best selling. Best reviewed...hmm, probably Infamous or Dark Souls 2. Maybe Yoshi's New Island, but it may be hard for critics to be excited about another Nintendo platformer right after DKC came out so I'm not really sure about that one.

Titanfall will obviously be the best selling because of former Call of Duty team working together and bringing in Titan sales. This is because multiplayer is a huge selling point.  As for best reviewed game, it would be easily Titanfall again, but I'd like to go different and say Infamous: Second Son. PS4 is finally getting a great game this year and the return of a great franchise. I enjoyed the story with the Infamous series and looking forward to it. Woo!

• Haha 1

I think Titanfall will get both. A titan of a game like this will surely get the highest mark on both category.

Guest ...

Titanfall Best selling.

Second Son best reviews.

I just see titanfall selling a lot because of the wide market it has. Not to mention microsoft pretty much ones the FPS genre.

Second son however will have a much better story and more interesting gameplay.

• Like 1

Titanfall is the obvious choice for sales, although it may not top the NPD's since the NPD's don't track digital sales OR bundle pack-ins which I will assume a lot of Titanfall copies will come from....

As for highest scoring....

I think it *might* be Final Fantasy X HD only because the original was so beloved and so high scoring, in terms of new releases though it's definitely Dark Souls 2 although there are alot of games this month...

South Park (which is the highest scoring game in 2014 so far I belive),METAL GEAR SOLID (which will likely be my favourite of the month) Titanfall, Second Son, Atelier, Yoshis New Island, Shovel Knight.....

South Park (which is the highest scoring game in 2014 so far I belive),METAL GEAR SOLID (which will likely be my favourite of the month) Titanfall, Second Son, Atelier, Yoshis New Island, Shovel Knight.....

Oh dip, I forgot Shovel Knight comes out this month. *happy dance*

No surprise here, but I am going with Titanfall for both. I do think that Titanfall's sales will be mostly won on the fact that it is also coming to the 360, even though that version was not done by Respawn, and comes out two weeks later. Why I think it will also do well with reviews is because, it is offering something different to what is hard to deny is the biggest genre in games currently, the FPS. I can't really go into logistics to back up my reasoning, but the game is so much fun, that it is hard not to get excited about it. Criticism is coming from those that want another COD clone, and that could in fact lower Titanfall's Metacritic score, but I think this game is going to rate high overall with critics.

Yes, it is easy to dismiss my praise of Titanfall as being biased, but given my Sony preference for gaming, Respawn had a lot to prove to me. I can honestly say, I love this game, and have almost completely forgiven them for it being only available to Microsoft consoles and PC.

I won't rule out Infamous Second Son, I expect high scores for that as well. Had Sony chose to release it on the PS3, I might even say that it would outsell Titanfall. I expect both titles to sell quite well, both consoles were in dire need of a "new" game.

• Like 1

Oh, just for March? Yeah, I'm gonna go with what Luds Danny said with FFX HD being the highest scoring, up there with Dark Souls 2 as well. Titanfall will most likely sell the most due to the hype, but if we're talking about the game in general, technically they just shot themselves in the foot by pushing the Xbox 360 version back to April. Thus it won't count for sales in March ;)

• Thanks 1

81 on Metacritic for Second Son.

• Like 1

81 on Metacritic for Second Son.

Hey, that's a good sign, hopefully.

Bah, Second Son is still at 80. :(

C'mon InFamous, let's get that score up before April! Baby needs a pair of shoes! xD

Well, at least no one predicted Ground Zeroes? It's a 75 at the moment. o_o

Bah, Second Son is still at 80. :(

C'mon InFamous, let's get that score up before April! Baby needs a pair of shoes! xD

Well, at least no one predicted Ground Zeroes? It's a 75 at the moment. o_o

I heard someone mention that a complaint was it didn't evolve enough from the first two game.

I heard someone mention that a complaint was it didn't evolve enough from the first two game.

Didn't evolve? I'd argue its a pretty new animal, actually. My biggest complaint with the game is the sound--it is awful. The combat feels so lifeless because the sound is so... muted. I do not understand why this is the case or what Sucker Punch was going for, but it needs to be addressed and fixed if possible. I do not feel powerful at all, despite having these powers, as a result. Right now combat for me involves shooting some sort of stun gas/smoke and subduing people who cannot fight because of it. Sure I'm doing this to get Good Karma, but its also faster than shooting and punching guys--something I don't want to waste my time doing since it doesn't feel worth it. I should also mention I have an ability where if I get headshots, I can then go and subdue the guys. But umm... again, I don't care to shoot fireballs at anyone since it isn't worth my trouble.

I have read a few comments about how awesome the sound is, but umm through my headset or my speakers it sounds terrible. Someone explain this to me.

Didn't evolve? I'd argue its a pretty new animal, actually. My biggest complaint with the game is the sound--it is awful. The combat feels so lifeless because the sound is so... muted. I do not understand why this is the case or what Sucker Punch was going for, but it needs to be addressed and fixed if possible. I do not feel powerful at all, despite having these powers, as a result. Right now combat for me involves shooting some sort of stun gas/smoke and subduing people who cannot fight because of it. Sure I'm doing this to get Good Karma, but its also faster than shooting and punching guys--something I don't want to waste my time doing since it doesn't feel worth it. I should also mention I have an ability where if I get headshots, I can then go and subdue the guys. But umm... again, I don't care to shoot fireballs at anyone since it isn't worth my trouble.

I have read a few comments about how awesome the sound is, but umm through my headset or my speakers it sounds terrible. Someone explain this to me.

Yeah the didn't evolve comment is weird since they changed as much as the could without creating an entirely new game...

Sound isn't awful per say, but much like Seattles colour palette it is a bit stifled. I've been playing it through a surround sound system cranked up all the way and it's definitely lacking that "oomph" you'd kind of expect. That said, the smoke powers don't really lend themselves to big "BOOMS" but rather the "swoosh" sounds you get. 

Yeah, I've been going paragon as well just because the big choices so far made me lean towards good and since with inFamous you have to be completely committed to one side the combat has been a bit samey aka restrain as many people as possible lol

• Haha 1

Alrighty, March is officially over, and while we're still waiting on NPD sales data, let's go over the highest reviewed games on Metacritic.

Note: All scores have been averaged between their different versions.

• Dark Souls II - 91
  • Titanfall - 86.5
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth - 84
  • Atelier Escha & Logy - 80
  • InFamous: Second Son - 80

Surprisingly, no one guessed Dark Souls as their primary pick for highest score, although Ludo kind of did, so I'll give it to him. Everyone else who mentioned it only did so after mentioning something else, so I'm only counting the first game they mentioned.

Here's where we're at then!

Top Ratings Guessed Correctly

Ludono - 1

Everyone Else - 0

Top Selling Games Guessed Correctly

Still waiting on results!

Oh, one major new rule as well -

In order to prevent people waiting till the end of the month to see which scores are the top ones, you have until the end of the first week of each month to lock in your predictions! Any made after that won't count!

• Sad 1

It's very sad how bad Second Son is/was.

It's very sad how bad Second Son is/was.

So it was disappointing in the end, then? I've yet to hear what Ludo and Venom thought of it.

I would give it a 6 or a 6.5 out of 10. I think Lud said he'd give it a 7...

So it was disappointing in the end, then? I've yet to hear what Ludo and Venom thought of it.

It wasn't bad. But it wasn't anything special either. Very mediocre, yet still worth a play.

So, what are the game releases this month...? Nothing major comes to mind right away.

So, what are the game releases this month...? Nothing major comes to mind right away.

Conception II, Elder Scrolls Online, LEGO The Hobbit, Disney Magical World, NES Remix 2, Trials Fusion, Demon Gaze, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Rambo: The Video Game are the biggest ones, probably.