HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Developer Looking to Unearth Lost Buried E.T. Atari Cartridges

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/21/concerted-effort-to-unearth-rumored-atari-e-t-landfill-cache-moves-forward.aspx

Well this is interesting. It looks like Lightbox Interactive (developer behind Starhawk) is working with a marketing agency to unearth the E.T. game cartridges that Atari buried so long ago.

Not sure what they stand to gain from this other than it possibly being a stunt for publicity (seeing as how a marketing agency is involved). :unsure:

I think Marcus said he has it in his collection somewhere, but did anyone ever play the E.T. Atari game?

I thought the buried cartridges was confirmed as an urban legend...I'll have to look into that again. lol

I have multiple copies of ET, yes. It was so heavily produced that most of the time you find a batch of Atari games together it is in there somewhere. :P

Also here is word about the whole cartridge burying thing from Marty Goldberg, who heavily looked into many Atari myths/legends when writing Atari Inc. He posted this statement when it was first revealed last year that people were looking to make a documentary about the E.T. cart dumping legend. 

"We already cleared that up in our book "Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun" released last fall, going by direct interviews and actual internal documents.

There were never thousands of ET games buried in Alamorgodo, that's a myth that sprung up later and was also never once mentioned by the actual press articles of the time. The dump there was simply a clearing out of Atari's Texas manufacturing plant as it transitioned to automated production methods and a focus on personal computer manufacturing. It had previously been one of the main plants for manufacturing of game cartridges and other hardware, and game manufacturing was being moved overseas to China.

As part of the transition the unused cartridge stock of a group of titles (not just E.T.), console parts and computer parts were all dumped there in New Mexico. It was covered in detail by the Alamogordo press at the time (people watching the operation and kids raiding the dump reported Raiders of The Lost Ark, Pac-Man, Mrs. Pac-Man, E.T., Defender and Bezerk as well as game consoles and computers), and is just such a non-mystery that I'm surprised by all this."