HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Ciel

Beer Thread!

Most (some?) of us are old enough to drink, others probably do so regardless. Beer and videogames go together like... well... like two things that go together. At any rate, let the beer talk commence.

To begin with I'll share some of my favorites:

Revolution's Anti-Hero -- What I have in the fridge right now.
Bell's Two-Hearted Ale -- What I usually have in the fridge.
Flying Dog's Raging Bitch -- For those CS: GO nights.
Three Floyd's Zombie Dust -- What I have when I can find it; usually at the pub.

My All-Time Favorite:

Bell's Hopslam -- Sadly, being seasonal, this one is limited to a winter release only.

I just picked up Three Floyd's Alpha King Pale Ale, a beer I have yet to try. I will share my opinions of it later provided this thread sees some traffic. 
  • Like 1

I drink a wide range of beers. I don't drink to get drunk....haven't been drunk since probably 2007 but I do like to drink a few cold ones from time to time. I also have to be careful being diabetic.

Here's my regular beers:

Michelob Ultra Light - This is when for when I want to drink more than one or two but don't want the carbs. I restrict myself to an average of 140g of carbs per day and beer can mess that up. 130-170 carbs a day will keep my blood sugar in the safe range. Most light beers are awful but Michelob Ultra Light retains a pretty good taste.

Heineken- Probably my all-time favourite beer and it goes good with any occasion.

Land Shark - great for a beach style beer. I'll also drink Corona or Red Stripe when I can't find Land Shark

PBR- it's cheap and a secret to most people because it's surprisingly really good for cheap beer. I see so many people buying Bud Light (yuck) or Beast (yuck) and comp,etely passing over PBR. If you are broke, I'd suggest PBR or Yuengling.

Any flavor of Hornsby's - not very manly but Hornsby's is the best cider beer you can find.

Guiness Dark - when I'm looking for rich flavor

In addition to beer, I do drink red wines a few times per week. Red wine is also a go to if my blood sugar gets into a dangerous high range. One or two glasses of red wine and a couple spoons of peanut butter and your blood sugar level can go from way too high back to a normal range in about 30 minutes. I'm a Pinot Noir kinda guy but sometimes settle for Cabernet S since my wife always has that around. I can also do a red wine pre-emptive strike on the occasion I'm at a restaurant with friends and the menu isn't very diabetic friendly.

Not beer but I do enjoy rum from time to time and also Bud's line of Ritas. Budweiser makes so e of the nastiest beer in the history of mankind but the ritas are awesome especially ice cold. :). I rarely eat out but when I do, I'll often experiment and try out local and regional beers. I like to support the small guys and often get surprised with a very interesting flavor.

Not too into beer myself, unfortunately.

I'm more into harder liquor like whiskey, vodka, and rum. For whiskey, I like a lot of Jim Beam's stuff, though I imagine he's probably considered extremely mainstream these days.

• Like 1

Not too into beer myself, unfortunately.

I'm more into harder liquor like whiskey, vodka, and rum. For whiskey, I like a lot of Jim Beam's stuff, though I imagine he's probably considered extremely mainstream these days.

Jim Beam is really good for the price. I'd suggest Yellow Rose Outlaw but that's $70+ per bottle depending on the area. Glenfiddich malt whisky is pretty good mid grade stuff to keep around for guests too. :). I have some Yellow Rose Outlaw in the man cave but that's not for guests. Lol.

JB sells some good BBQ sauces too or you can just add their whisky to your sauces although I like cooking with cheap beer added to the meat sometimes.

I see so many people buying Bud Light (yuck) or Beast (yuck)...

I cannot stand Butweiser or Miller products. I have yet to try any Beast brews though. Red wine is also essential; I am a Pinot drinker myself.

I'm more into harder liquor like whiskey, vodka, and rum. 

Mmm... whiskey. Beer just pairs better with video games in my opinion. Do you drink whiskey while you play, or rather... have you ever?

May I have a near beer please?

Absolutely not.

Alpha King is fantastic; it is too early to tell, but I think it might be in my top five.

• Like 1

This is what I've been really digging lately. Yes, I know I'm probably biased because of the branding but it actually does taste quite good. The black stout is good, but pretty strong. Red Ale is probably the better of the two IMO. There's also a blonde ale I have not yet gotten the chance to try though.

game-of-thrones-beer-take-the-black-stougame-of-thrones-beer-fire-and-blood.jpg

• Like 1

There are 2 18% ABV Dogfish head brews on tap at the bar down the street from me tonight.  I may have to walk over, and stumble home

• Like 3

Dogfish Head, ugh so, soooo good. 

Let me know how they are. Hopslam is 10%.

My favorite beer is the one that the local brewery called Shebeen makes, a cannoli flavored beer. Yes you read that right. It's freakin amazing.

• Like 1

My favorite beer is the one that the local brewery called Shebeen makes, a cannoli flavored beer. Yes you read that right. It's freakin amazing.

Did you ever end up having that weird like apple beer or whatever it was?

Dogfish Head, ugh so, soooo good. 

Let me know how they are. Hopslam is 10%.

I started playing Titanfall and just never got off my couch....  Did have a few DuClaw Delerium double IPA's though

Did you ever end up having that weird like apple beer or whatever it was?

I don't even remember what you're talking about but probably? lol

Summer time has always meant lots of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. However, this year I haven't been feeling it. In its place I've been enjoying these summer beers.

Traveller Illusive. Traveller only makes shandy and besides their fall pumpkin Jack-O Shandy this grapefruit shandy is my favorite.

Sam Adams Porch Rocker. Less lemony than Summer Shandy but exceptionally good. It is a Helles type beer and I've been looking forward to it since last summer.

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit. It is a Hefeweizen style wheat beer infused with grapefruit juice. It is low in alcohol content, I think it is only 3.1 percent but it so good, and perfect for day drinking while enjoying the outdoors.

Sam Adams White Lantern. When it comes to white ales, Sam Adams makes some of the best. Their White Christmas is my favorite Christmas Ale, and White Lantern is just as tasty. It is a wheat beer with the perfect mix of citrus and spice.

Kentucky Peach Barrel Wheat Ale. The peach flavor is strong, but is counteracted by the bourbon finish. It's very interesting and different.

A few non-summer beers I'm enjoying are,

New Belgium's Snapshot. It reminds me of Blue Moon with less citrus flavor.

Le Merle Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale by Northcoast Brewing

Crabby's hard ginger beer. Ginger is one of my favorite flavors, and this stuff is excellent. It also comes in orange.

I'm sure I'll think of some more to add!

Was DuClaw tap takeover night the other night, walked away with a growler of their centennial IPA

Man so many good ones. :wub:  Some that are my go to if I got the cash:

New Belgium Ranger

Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Ruination IPA

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine

Lagunitas A Lil Sumpin' Sumpin Ale

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Blue Moon

Eye of the Hawk Ale

Calypso IPA

Downtown Brown Ale

Sudwerk Aggie Lager

and the list goes on....

IF i'm strapped for cash though I'll usually go with some Rolling Rock as I can usually find a 24 pack for $10 or less in my area

Man so many good ones. :wub:  Some that are my go to if I got the cash:

New Belgium Ranger

Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Ruination IPA

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine

Lagunitas A Lil Sumpin' Sumpin Ale

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Blue Moon

Eye of the Hawk Ale

Calypso IPA

Downtown Brown Ale

Sudwerk Aggie Lager

and the list goes on....

IF i'm strapped for cash though I'll usually go with some Rolling Rock as I can usually find a 24 pack for $10 or less in my area

Have you ever had the Oaked Arrogant Bastard?  Game changer right there

My cheap beers are Yuengling Premium @ $12 a case or Warsteiner @ $18

Have you ever had the Oaked Arrogant Bastard?  Game changer right there

My cheap beers are Yuengling Premium @ $12 a case or Warsteiner @ $18

I don't think I have, but I plan to now!!! If its anything like their Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine then I'm sure it'll be a fun time to be had.

Sam Adams Porch Rocker. Less lemony than Summer Shandy but exceptionally good. It is a Helles type beer and I've been looking forward to it since last summer.

Yes I love that stuff, even though for some reason I feel like it tastes like rice, lol.

I am hopefully going to a craft beer festival tomorrow. Unlimited samples from over 50 breweries!

I am hopefully going to a craft beer festival tomorrow. Unlimited samples from over 50 breweries!

Can't wait to see your posts later... ;)

Last night was playing Let's Make A Deal for Philly Beer Week at one of the bars I frequent.  Ended up with a super soaker, a Neshaminy Creek pint glass and a Sam Adams "perfect pint" glass.  I'm such a sucker for glassware.

• Like 2