HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

What kind of smartphone do you have?

Technically Leah posted this topic about two years ago, but now it's time for an updated thread!

Yesterday I finally got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) after having the same bulky one for 3-4 years and I have to say it's nice to finally have something up-to-date, haha.

In any case, I'm curious to hear what everyone else has, so which smartphone do you have (if any)? And do you like it, or are you eyeing a new one sometime soon?

I got an iPhone 4 last year for free; I hate it. Thankfully my free upgrade is on Oct. 1st and I will be getting the HTC One (M8)--I cannot wait!

Guest ...

Lg mach ls860. Its does everything great. Selfies are its weak point but that's ok i don't take selfies. I got it because i hate typing on a touch screen but i do like touch screens for everything else. I also wanted it to be compact not like a galaxy that might as well be a mini tablet. My sister has one and i think its to big for its own good. Yes im aware you just got one jordan lol. Anyway its got a back lit slide out text pad. Which i love because it types super fast compared to doing it on the touch screen. I have actually been doing most of my gp posts/ status updates with it. And i use it to watch youtube videos and surf the web. I get 4g in most places if not 3g. Its pretty thin considering it has a text pad. I did a lot of research on cells to find one that would fit my picky needs.

Its not as powerful as the brand new stuff but that's ok i don't feel like changing or upgrading for now. Also when i bought it my sister worked for boost so i didn't have to pay retail.

http://m.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LS860-mach

Yes im aware you just got one jordan lol.

Jason be like

giphy.gif

and tells you

yMPqO0v.gif

Anyways nice phone Kiky!

JKUdQ.gif

Guest ...

LOL i did it again. And then i wonder why im gp disabled.

Anyway congratulations on your new phone Jason.

• Like 1

I have the Samsung Note 3 and I love it. I'll probably end up getting the Note 4 when it is out.

I have the Samsung Note 3 and I love it. I'll probably end up getting the Note 4 when it is out.

Bro we have the same phone! I love it as well! Since I don't have an iPod, I use the phone as my music, video, portable, twitter, facebook, etc. Woo! Also our phones are pretty big and looks like a tablet. xD

I think I'm like the only person in the US (who isn't at least 40) who doesn't have a smartphone. xD

I think I'm like the only person in the US (who isn't at least 40) who doesn't have a smartphone. xD

Ahh, Venom, but you are wrong!

I don't have a smartphone either--and my friends hassle me relentlessly for it. 

I'm going to get one very soon, though, so I won't be relateable for too much longer. :P

Guest ...

Have you guys ever heard the term "butterphone?" Its silly but hillariously shallow. When someone likes person x but wont go out with them because of their phone. Theres some pretty funny youtube videos about it.

HTC One M7. It's my second one..my original M7 had an unfortunate accident. :). I have owned many phones over the years and it is by far my favourite. The only gripe I have is there's no SD memory options (just 32GB built in) and the battery is not great for a power user. The M8 does have a micro SD option and better battery though...basically the same phone too...just thinner, longer and with a better camera.

The camera on the HTC One is awesome too.

Before jumping on the HTC ship a couple years ago, I had an iPhone 4S 64GB and I absolutely hated it. Gave it to another family member who actually likes it.

• Like 1

HTC One M7. It's my second one..my original M7 had an unfortunate accident. :). I have owned many phones over the years and it is by far my favourite. The only gripe I have is there's no SD memory options (just 32GB built in) and the battery is not great for a power user. The M8 does have a micro SD option and better battery though...basically the same phone too...just thinner, longer and with a better camera.

The camera on the HTC One is awesome too.

Before jumping on the HTC ship a couple years ago, I had an iPhone 4S 64GB and I absolutely hated it. Gave it to another family member who actually likes it.

That's essentially why I want to upgrade to an M8 despite getting my M7 not all too long ago. My battery drains soooo quickly now. Really can't justify the expensive though.

• Like 1

That's essentially why I want to upgrade to an M8 despite getting my M7 not all too long ago. My battery drains soooo quickly now. Really can't justify the expensive though.

The M8 Harmon Kardon edition is the way to go...the software for music is awesome. My wife has that phone and the sound quality blows everything else away. It's also the last non Apple phone with Beats Audio. The standard M8 still has Beats but the HK edition has extras.

I love my iPad but iPhone was never for me. You can't even take a good photo with an iPhone without using a tripod. Lol.

The M8 Harmon Kardon edition is the way to go...the software for music is awesome. My wife has that phone and the sound quality blows everything else away. It's also the last non Apple phone with Beats Audio. The standard M8 still has Beats but the HK edition has extras.

I love my iPad but iPhone was never for me. You can't even take a good photo with an iPhone without using a tripod. Lol.

Sound quality on the HTC Ones has always been pretty good. I was thinking about the developer edition just so I can mess with it :P

And please, anyone who's serious about pictures would just use a DSLR anyway, phone cameras don't really matter too much.

• Like 2

I don't have a phone I have no one to call and no one to call me :( Why don't any of you have a phone with Cortana ?

I have the iPhone 5 but I'm not a huge fan. That said, I will probably get the 6 this fall.

Bro we have the same phone! I love it as well! Since I don't have an iPod, I use the phone as my music, video, portable, twitter, facebook, etc. Woo! Also our phones are pretty big and looks like a tablet. xD

I'm used to it now that it doesn't feel big at all to me. It fits fine in my pocket and we get a bigger screen which is better for watching videos.

Nice, we can all be Samsung bros together! xD

Ahh, Venom, but you are wrong!

I don't have a smartphone either--and my friends hassle me relentlessly for it. 

I'm going to get one very soon, though, so I won't be relateable for too much longer. :P

Any idea which phone you want to get? There's a lot of good ones out there, including a number of Samsung's and the HTC One as mentioned above. :)

Sound quality on the HTC Ones has always been pretty good. I was thinking about the developer edition just so I can mess with it :P

And please, anyone who's serious about pictures would just use a DSLR anyway, phone cameras don't really matter too much.

In my opinion, phone cameras are not that far off from pro quality (with some phones). If they come out with a phone camera with a larger sensor and ability to shoot in RAW, the prosumer camera market may crash. I've been keeping an eye on the camera market closely. Prices on higher end prosumer models are getting very cheap to compete with phones. A phone will never replace a DSLR with a nice lens but I think phones will replace the pocket camera and most pros always have a pocket camera on them. I have a pocket camera that cost me $1,000 a few years back and the newer upgraded version of that same camera costs $299 today. Lol.

Quality of personal cameras has done major damage to studios too. I think the number of photography studios has been reduced by more than 80% in five years. I forget the exact figure.

I have a Moto X.Battery doesn't last to long but it's great for browsing the web.I have 32 tabs open on it and still feels pretty responsive. Won't be getting a new one if it breaks.Might be downgrading to a Moto G or whatever Republic Wireless decides to support in the future. On the plus side I only pay $11 a month for my phone. Really want 1+ phone but it's nice to want things.

• Like 1

In my opinion, phone cameras are not that far off from pro quality (with some phones). If they come out with a phone camera with a larger sensor and ability to shoot in RAW, the prosumer camera market may crash. I've been keeping an eye on the camera market closely. Prices on higher end prosumer models are getting very cheap to compete with phones. A phone will never replace a DSLR with a nice lens but I think phones will replace the pocket camera and most pros always have a pocket camera on them. I have a pocket camera that cost me $1,000 a few years back and the newer upgraded version of that same camera costs $299 today. Lol.

Quality of personal cameras has done major damage to studios too. I think the number of photography studios has been reduced by more than 80% in five years. I forget the exact figure.

Yeah everyone seems to think they're a photographer these days, and with the quality of the cameras constantly improving as well as the software bundled with them that automatically handles all the settings with minimal error, well, professional photographers just aren't as sought after.

I agree that pocket cameras and phone cameras are very close, if not exactly the same at this point. However there is still something to having a device dedicated to a single function, though most may not see it that way.

I agree that pocket cameras and phone cameras are very close, if not exactly the same at this point. However there is still something to having a device dedicated to a single function, though most may not see it that way.

Problem also is that pro camera are bulky. It is a lot easier to have bring a phone that can take pictures with you and put it in your pocket and then take it out then having to care around this big camera. You have to plan to go somewhere specifically to warrant bringing that thing.

I have a Nokia Lumia 720...that is now cracked. Sad face...

Guest ...

Problem also is that pro camera are bulky. It is a lot easier to have bring a phone that can take pictures with you and put it in your pocket and then take it out then having to care around this big camera. You have to plan to go somewhere specifically to warrant bringing that thing.

Luds really in to taking photos i bet his got a baggy for his camera and everything.

Speaking of which, how many megapixels does each person's phone's camera have? Mine is 8MP, and the quality is pretty great!