HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

My name is Zach and I'm a pretty simple gamer. I love a huge variety of games, but mostly spend my time on shooters and NBA 2k. However, now that I came back to my love of PlayStation (had a launch day PS3 that YLODed on me and switched to the 360 for about a year til the 4 came out), I've been returning to my love of deep single player story games, such as the Last of Us Remastered.

Aside from video games, I'm a huge Knicks fan, a college student, and hopefully a future writer. If anybody likes to read Stephen King inspired writing, I'm your guy! Haha

Hey Zach, welcome to GP!

You're in good company here as a lot of our members are college students as well. And I assume you're interested in creative writing (as opposed to non-fiction/journalism) when you mention wanting to be a writer? That's pretty cool; I've been interested in writing fiction myself, but don't know if I'll ever really get the time to do so right now, haha.

Hope to see you around the forum!

Aside from video games, I'm a huge Knicks fan, a college student, and hopefully a future writer. If anybody likes to read Stephen King inspired writing, I'm your guy! Haha

Is it safe to assume that you have read the Dark Tower series and think it is the greatest damn book series of all-time? Because it is. It really, really is.

Also, welcome! What are you in college for?

Hey Zach, welcome to GP!

You're in good company here as a lot of our members are college students as well. And I assume you're interested in creative writing (as opposed to non-fiction/journalism) when you mention wanting to be a writer? That's pretty cool; I've been interested in writing fiction myself, but don't know if I'll ever really get the time to do so right now, haha.

Hope to see you around the forum!

Yep, I do mostly mean creative writing, but I do like to do a bit of the whole spectrum. I think as long as I have a keyboard and a topic I can pretty much enjoy myself lol

Is it safe to assume that you have read the Dark Tower series and think it is the greatest damn book series of all-time? Because it is. It really, really is.

Also, welcome! What are you in college for?

Unfortunately that's one of the few I haven't gotten into haha I'm actually on a mission right now to bounce back between his older books and modern books to compare how his styles changed over time. So my two most recent reads are The Running Man (which he wrote under his Bachmann alias) and 11/22/63, both which are just masterful in their own ways. I also loved, loved, loved Needful Things, another one of my long list of favorites that comes to mind.

And currently I'm just hitting the community college wagon to get my basics out of the way, so individual studies. But I plan on going for some sort of writing degree, but I'm keeping my mind open so I don't force myself anywhere. I was actually a late registration freshman for the 2nd semester last year, so I still got some time to delve into my own head lol

Yep, I do mostly mean creative writing, but I do like to do a bit of the whole spectrum. I think as long as I have a keyboard and a topic I can pretty much enjoy myself lol

Unfortunately that's one of the few I haven't gotten into haha I'm actually on a mission right now to bounce back between his older books and modern books to compare how his styles changed over time. So my two most recent reads are The Running Man (which he wrote under his Bachmann alias) and 11/22/63, both which are just masterful in their own ways. I also loved, loved, loved Needful Things, another one of my long list of favorites that comes to mind.

And currently I'm just hitting the community college wagon to get my basics out of the way, so individual studies. But I plan on going for some sort of writing degree, but I'm keeping my mind open so I don't force myself anywhere. I was actually a late registration freshman for the 2nd semester last year, so I still got some time to delve into my own head lol

Drop everything and read The Dark Tower books, seriously. They are, in my opinion, his best works and the best book series ever written. At some point I wanted to do writing in college, I was pretty into fiction writing--one a few awards here and there--but ultimately opted out of it. Eventually I will write a novel, but I told myself I didn't need to attend college in order to know/learn how to write fiction and develop the skill. Although now that I think about, classes every so often would help keep me on my toes. But I just read a lot and that also helps. Now I am a philosophy major--which is nice. Are you looking to go into fiction writing or a sort of journalism field?

Welcome Zach.

Knicks fan? Well you excited that you guys kept Melo and won't win for a while now? :P

Oh, hey man. Welcome to the forums. Go hang out in chat after 11 PM EST when we get steamy and wild with ~GP After Dark~

• Like 1

Guest ...

I love stephen king. The first book i fell in love with was pet cemetery. I have also read a few others. Feel free to mention your favorites.

Welcome to GP!

As a Clevelander I should apologize. You won't be winning the East for a long, long time.

Welcome Zach.

Knicks fan? Well you excited that you guys kept Melo and won't win for a while now? :P

lol I'm excited to get the growing pains out this season to make a good run for some FAs. I am mixed on if I like Melo back but I think he's a great fit for the triangle, and I believe in D-Fish as a coach. I just want to have another dominant center again, no knock against Dwight Howard cuz he's currently the best center but he wouldn't be even a top 10 center in the league when the Ewings, Shaqs, Barkleys etc. were around. Damn I could talk basketball like this non stop lol but I think the Knicks will be 3rd or 4th seed or so in the East this year.

Drop everything and read The Dark Tower books, seriously. They are, in my opinion, his best works and the best book series ever written. At some point I wanted to do writing in college, I was pretty into fiction writing--one a few awards here and there--but ultimately opted out of it. Eventually I will write a novel, but I told myself I didn't need to attend college in order to know/learn how to write fiction and develop the skill. Although now that I think about, classes every so often would help keep me on my toes. But I just read a lot and that also helps. Now I am a philosophy major--which is nice. Are you looking to go into fiction writing or a sort of journalism field?

Definitely will have to read them, they've been on my list to read for a while but had a backlog of books I actually bought from a garage sale a while back, so I've been cutting them down. I only have Duma Key and Cell left actually. And I would love to trade some writing samples with you if you'd like, I have some work in progresses piling up that I could use some constructive criticism on.

And I'm kind of veering your direction actually. I find it kind of hard to justify a degree in writing, a subjective art form, as being a viable use of a 4 year degree. I am kind of teetering along the lines of philosophy, journalism, or maybe even communications. I'm just wandering around trying out all my different passions and basically throwing them at the wall to see what sticks haha I could see myself being a sports writer or music reviews or something to that effect. I always seem to come back to something creative, and I can't draw or play any instruments lol

Oh, hey man. Welcome to the forums. Go hang out in chat after 11 PM EST when we get steamy and wild with ~GP After Dark~

Definitely will have to do that sometime, community seems great here.

I love stephen king. The first book i fell in love with was pet cemetery. I have also read a few others. Feel free to mention your favorites.

I have yet to read Pet Cemetery actually, but I know I would love it at the same time. My top book of his (and this could be just because I've just finished it lol) is 11/22/63, as I love the JFK conspiracy aspect, and it is such a deeply layered storytelling experience. The book literally is almost like a series within itself, it's impressive.

Another is Needful Things, I loved the overall message of that book, it was pretty powerful. And I loved the classic Stephen King humor sprinkled throughout.

The Running Man was also one of my favorites, it was almost like a more realistic, relatable telling of Hunger Games.

Welcome to GP!

As a Clevelander I should apologize. You won't be winning the East for a long, long time.

Eh, I gotta little different perspective on how the Cavs are gonna look this year lol I think the first year of the Big 3 is gonna repeat itself a bit on the Cavs roster. Not enough defense on that squad to win it all just yet. But I am a HUGE fan of Kevin Love's game, and I do respect LBJ as the greatest in the game right now. I just have a little less belief in the fact that they made a smart trade (I think Wiggins was a better fit for what they needed defensively, and Bennett had potential to be helpful there too) and even less belief in Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters adjusting to third and fourth fiddle lol too many shot takers, not enough play makers imo

But the Knicks definitely aren't winning the East, that much I can agree with haha

And I'm kind of veering your direction actually. I find it kind of hard to justify a degree in writing, a subjective art form, as being a viable use of a 4 year degree. I am kind of teetering along the lines of philosophy, journalism, or maybe even communications. I'm just wandering around trying out all my different passions and basically throwing them at the wall to see what sticks haha I could see myself being a sports writer or music reviews or something to that effect. I always seem to come back to something creative, and I can't draw or play any instruments lol

Definitely will have to do that sometime, community seems great here.

Yeah well philosophy isn't really the greatest use of a 4-year degree either, haha. It both is and it isn't. It is certainly an invaluable tool that has influenced and propelled me forward, however. I am in the same boat, always want to land on something creative. Best of luck to you, man. 

“Seems,†madam? Nay, it is. I know not “seems.†- Hamlet

Welcome to GP!

I don't like LBJ but I'm a huge fan of Kyrie since I saw him at Duke and Klove. I wish Love would have been able to play for the Lakers like he always wanted to. I don't know if I can start rooting for the Cavs. I want to see Kyrie and Love win but not LBJ haha.

@MadeofLead: if you ever want to talk Bball, holla at me. I'm a huge sports fan :)

• Like 1

Yeah well philosophy isn't really the greatest use of a 4-year degree either, haha. It both is and it isn't. It is certainly an invaluable tool that has influenced and propelled me forward, however. I am in the same boat, always want to land on something creative. Best of luck to you, man. 

“Seems,†madam? Nay, it is. I know not “seems.†- Hamlet

Perfect quote to sum it up lol and yeah I guess I just see a job maybe putting a little more weight on philosophy than writing. Most jobs don't really require writing skills of that type, where as philosophy applies to a lot more "real world" jobs. But again I have a pretty high chance of becoming the "starving artist" type I guess haha

I don't like LBJ but I'm a huge fan of Kyrie since I saw him at Duke and Klove. I wish Love would have been able to play for the Lakers like he always wanted to. I don't know if I can start rooting for the Cavs. I want to see Kyrie and Love win but not LBJ haha.

@MadeofLead: if you ever want to talk Bball, holla at me. I'm a huge sports fan :)

I didn't really like LBJ, but I respect him and hate him a little less after going back to Cleveland. I mainly started to hate him for the Big 3, but also because I really thought he was gonna be a Knick when that happened, cuz of his numbers playing in MSG up to that point. Thought it was a no brainer, boy was I off lol As far as Love goes, I wish he could've been an LA guy, him and a healthy Kobe together? Pfft that'd be insane. And Kyrie I really like, but I feel like he has a lot of maturing left in his game. I want to see him live up to his defensive and playmaking potential before I really like him as a player.

And absolutely I'd like to talk more ball man, I think I'm gonna start a NBA discussion thread on here once I get done writing this actually.

But.... it's light out 

:(

I didn't really like LBJ, but I respect him and hate him a little less after going back to Cleveland. I mainly started to hate him for the Big 3, but also because I really thought he was gonna be a Knick when that happened, cuz of his numbers playing in MSG up to that point. Thought it was a no brainer, boy was I off lol As far as Love goes, I wish he could've been an LA guy, him and a healthy Kobe together? Pfft that'd be insane. And Kyrie I really like, but I feel like he has a lot of maturing left in his game. I want to see him live up to his defensive and playmaking potential before I really like him as a player.

And absolutely I'd like to talk more ball man, I think I'm gonna start a NBA discussion thread on here once I get done writing this actually.

You are dead on. I respect LBJ for his growth as a player. I always said that if he developed an outside game he would be unstoppable. And that is what he did. Also he took his game down low and got a post up game which was huge. I never liked the Big 3. All the big show off and then not 1, 2, 3, ...etc you get my point. Sadly I was a huge Bosh and Wade fan until then. Now I dislike them. Bosh was from Ga Tech and that is where I graduated so I really liked him. He is a true nerd haha. Wade was awesome coming out of Marquette. I even got his shoe, the converse. I do respect LBJ for coming home.

Kyrie in a few years can challenge for the top PG spot in the game. It is still CP3 and I don't see him losing his status. CP3 is another favorite player of mine. I hated how David "The Cheat" Stern stopped the Lakers from getting him even though it was all legit. I hate that cheater and Adam Silver is probably the same as him. Stern cost the Hawks a series win againt the Celtics to which in turn cost the Lakers a championship. I can go on and on about that cheater.

Yea, KLove was an LA guy. Too bad it couldn't have happen. Lakers got owned last 2 years and even next year won't be good with all the FA. I hope we don't get Melo because his game isn't what we need. He proved he can win at the college level but you can see his game isn't made to win a championship in the NBA. Well, I will take that back. If he goes to the Bulls, he will win at least one championship.