HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Shin GenX

What have you seen recently and what did you think?

I just watched an old movie from 1973 called Westworld and it was pretty cool. Yes the HBO series Westworld is a remake of an old movie. It was a cool movie just like the show and turned into Terminator with an evil gunslinger. Those silver eyes are super creepy. Yul Brynner is an awesome actor.

Now I need to watch the sequel movie FutureWorld.

On 7/19/2018 at 7:56 PM, Rex705 said:

I just watched an old movie from 1973 called Westworld and it was pretty cool. Yes the HBO series Westworld is a remake of an old movie. It was a cool movie just like the show and turned into Terminator with an evil gunslinger. Those silver eyes are super creepy. Yul Brynner is an awesome actor.

Now I need to watch the sequel movie FutureWorld.

I still need to see this movie. Shortly after the HBO show premiered, I was surprised to find out it was actually an adaptation of an earlier film.

I love Yul Brynner too, so this sounds like a match made in heaven, haha. Didn't know it had a sequel either. I'll have to check out both. :D

I finally got around to watching Thor: Ragnarok. It's easily the most entertaining of the Thor movies, but...that's not really saying much. Honestly Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster stole the show and I hope we see more of him.

18 hours ago, Venom said:

I finally got around to watching Thor: Ragnarok. It's easily the most entertaining of the Thor movies, but...that's not really saying much. Honestly Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster stole the show and I hope we see more of him.

Yes, hew as awesome as always. I loved Ragnarok. I really like how you see more of Hulk and him talking and more of his personality. Of course Banner was awesome as well in his confused state when he first come out of being the Hulk.

The most recent thing I have seen was Solo. It was awesome the actors really did their homework as Han and Lando had the mannerisms down pat.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:20 AM, archangelreb said:

The most recent thing I have seen was Solo. It was awesome the actors really did their homework as Han and Lando had the mannerisms down pat.

I actually really enjoyed Solo and can't wait to watch it again when it comes out on streaming and Blu-ray. I totally agree on what you said about the actors, and overall I found it to be a much more enjoyable experience to watch than The Last Jedi (especially the train sequence in the first half).

I watched Justice League because I only allow myself to make terrible decisions. It was...definitely a movie. With people dressed as familiar characters. That much is for sure.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:07 PM, Venom said:

I watched Justice League because I only allow myself to make terrible decisions. It was...definitely a movie. With people dressed as familiar characters. That much is for sure.

I don't think it was terrible for me. It was funny but they definitely tried really hard to be Marvel funny and to show the fans that DC doesn't have to be all dark. What really gets me is when Superman comes back it just made the whole build up of the bad guy to not mean anything anymore.

I saw Bridge of Spies last night and it was amazing. The pace is definitely slower and there is no action but it was such a great movie and Tom Hanks did an amazing job as Jim Donovan. The ending was perfect. This is based on a true story. If you want to know about a real American hero, definitely watch this movie. Such great play on power and intrigue during the Cold World era.

I recently saw 12 Angry Men. Amazing black and while film starting Henry Fonda. The amount of things they dealt with in the movie were amazing. Apparently this movie gets a studied a lot in film school. Definitely watch it if you ever get a chance.

I watched Wonder Woman the other day. It was good...not amazing, but good. If nothing else it proves DC cinematic universe movies don't have to suck. xD

17 hours ago, Venom said:

I watched Wonder Woman the other day. It was good...not amazing, but good. If nothing else it proves DC cinematic universe movies don't have to suck. xD

I really liked the movie outside of the final boss battle.

I've been trying to get into the habit of watching at least one movie each week on Netflix. It started with Finding Dory (which I really enjoyed) at the end of July, followed by The Cloverfield Paradox (which was not bad) and then Doctor Strange, which I had strangely not seen until now.

This last Sunday I started watching Aggretsuko, which is pretty good! I also intend to start Daredevil Season 2 soon. Got a TON of Marvel Netflix shows to catch up on (pretty much everything outside of DD Season 1), not to mention the Hulu stuff like Runaways and Cloak and Dagger. The Marvel shows are almost outpacing DC's TV output these days, at least in terms of quantity! 

8 hours ago, Jason Clement said:

I've been trying to get into the habit of watching at least one movie each week on Netflix. It started with Finding Dory (which I really enjoyed) at the end of July, followed by The Cloverfield Paradox (which was not bad) and then Doctor Strange, which I had strangely not seen until now.

This last Sunday I started watching Aggretsuko, which is pretty good! I also intend to start Daredevil Season 2 soon. Got a TON of Marvel Netflix shows to catch up on (pretty much everything outside of DD Season 1), not to mention the Hulu stuff like Runaways and Cloak and Dagger. The Marvel shows are almost outpacing DC's TV output these days, at least in terms of quantity! 

I too have a lot of DC shows to catch up on Netflix. The punisher, season 2 of JJ, LC, and IF. Then comes daredevil season 3 as well. So much, not enough time. I get your strange pun :).

On 8/22/2018 at 2:53 AM, Jason Clement said:

Runaways and Cloak And Dagger are sooo good I can't wait for more.

In the movie world, I watched the comedy Tag that is based on a true story and it was fun. I watched Deadpool 2 in 4K and it was awesome even better than the first. I would love to see more Ryan Renolds Deadpool but now that Disney is taking over Fox that probably won't happen.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:35 AM, DarkCobra86 said:

I too have a lot of DC shows to catch up on Netflix. The punisher, season 2 of JJ, LC, and IF. Then comes daredevil season 3 as well. So much, not enough time. I get your strange pun :).

Honestly, the strange pun was purely coincidental and I didn't notice it until you brought it up, haha! :lol:

17 hours ago, Rex705 said:

In the movie world, I watched the comedy Tag that is based on a true story and it was fun. I watched Deadpool 2 in 4K and it was awesome even better than the first. I would love to see more Ryan Renolds Deadpool but now that Disney is taking over Fox that probably won't happen.

I remember seeing an article somewhere that quoted a Disney insider or executive saying that Disney won't change Deadpool but who knows. If they know what's good for the franchise, they hopefully won't try to touch it and instead just let Ryan Reynolds run with it.

Doctor Strange was better than I expected it to be. I recently bought Infinity War and managed to finish it (when I went to watch it the first time, I wound up missing the last 20 minutes). Started watching Insatiable on Netflix... Honestly, I found it to be a bit off and couldn't get into it like I thought I would. 

Finally got to see Infinity War and it was amazing. Everything I expected to happen didn't and the things that did happen I did not expect. Great movie from start to finish. It went straight to the point and never slowed down. Loved the humor as always. Just an amazing movie. I already have my guesses as to what will have to happen in Avengers 4.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:44 AM, DarkCobra86 said:

Finally got to see Infinity War and it was amazing. Everything I expected to happen didn't and the things that did happen I did not expect. Great movie from start to finish. It went straight to the point and never slowed down. Loved the humor as always. Just an amazing movie. I already have my guesses as to what will have to happen in Avengers 4.

I have my guesses too. But the main thing that I want is something that I don't expect to happen. Have you read/heard of some of the various theories people have? There are some that really seem plausible.

13 hours ago, Sailor Liztress said:

I have my guesses too. But the main thing that I want is something that I don't expect to happen. Have you read/heard of some of the various theories people have? There are some that really seem plausible.

I actually have not and probably will look more into it. I think some of it will be pretty obvious as how things will have to go or at least go in that direction. But I'm sure with all these fan theories, some people are bound to be dead on with all the knowledge they know about the series. I do think I need to watch the movie again though. The second time will help me see more clues and what not.

Saw Pitch Perfect 1 and 2. Loved it and I am a fan of the series now. I think 1 was a great intro movie and had a feel good story to it. Movie 2 was the same as one but more funny. I also saw Babadook last night. It wasn't scary. But if you watch it and understand it from the artistic viewpoint I can see why it got such good ratings.

On 8/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, Sailor Liztress said:

It's kind of all but confirmed that...

Spoiler

...the Quantum Realm has a lot to do with how they circumvent what happened in Infinity War.

If you've seen Ant-Man and the Wasp, they tease it in the post-credits scene (stop reading if you haven't seen it yet and don't want to be spoiled). Before Ant-Man is trapped in the Quantum Realm, Jan warns him not to go towards any time vortexes because she can't help him if he gets stuck in one. My guess is he escapes the Quantum Realm by going into one, coming out 6-8 years after "the Snap." His daughter is mostly grown and helping what's remained of the Avengers, and Ant-Man explains how he can use the time vortexes to go back in time and warn the Avengers about what's about to happen.

Supposedly, rumors have said that Avengers 4 will have the Avengers trying to collect the Infinity Stones before Thanos does, so we'll see what happens. There is also another rumor that Doctor Strange actually sent the Time Stone into the future, and the one that Thanos is using is actually just a distant version/visage of it, which is why the Gauntlet broke at the end of Infinity War since it wasn't using the full strength of the Time Stone. If this is true, it means that the Avengers will find some way to get it and use it to go back in time.

7 hours ago, Jason Clement said:

It's kind of all but confirmed that...

Hide contents

...the Quantum Realm has a lot to do with how they circumvent what happened in Infinity War.

If you've seen Ant-Man and the Wasp, they tease it in the post-credits scene (stop reading if you haven't seen it yet and don't want to be spoiled). Before Ant-Man is trapped in the Quantum Realm, Jan warns him not to go towards any time vortexes because she can't help him if he gets stuck in one. My guess is he escapes the Quantum Realm by going into one, coming out 6-8 years after "the Snap." His daughter is mostly grown and helping what's remained of the Avengers, and Ant-Man explains how he can use the time vortexes to go back in time and warn the Avengers about what's about to happen.

Supposedly, rumors have said that Avengers 4 will have the Avengers trying to collect the Infinity Stones before Thanos does, so we'll see what happens. There is also another rumor that Doctor Strange actually sent the Time Stone into the future, and the one that Thanos is using is actually just a distant version/visage of it, which is why the Gauntlet broke at the end of Infinity War since it wasn't using the full strength of the Time Stone. If this is true, it means that the Avengers will find some way to get it and use it to go back in time.

I still haven't seen Ant-Man (so I am skipping the spoilers for now, lol). But for that last paragraph/rumor, I could see that being a big possibility. It's a more likely one that the one about 

Spoiler

Hulk actually being Loki in the beginning of Infinity War. I mean, yes, I hated that death as I'm a fan of the character and Hiddleston. But I don't see Loki keeping the act up for so long though it could be safe to say he did so in Ragnarok when he pretended to be Odin. I feel like it would have been easier to pull off being Odin as he has more knowledge of Odin's mannerisms compared to Hulk's.

Recently saw these:

Predator - great movie and I am interested in the other predator movies even though I heard they suck. Arnold being Arnold and this movie has some great one liner.

Babadook - not scary but still has the creep factor. Definitely a metaphor movie but not as good as rotten tomato think it is.

It - more scary but no creep factor. But definitely from the trailer it made me think someone else was the main character and it would focus on that person. Boy was I wrong.

I saw Ready Player One last night and I thought it was good. According to my friend it is very different from the book. I don't want to get into it to much but just the pacing and how they do each event is different. And how the characters are and interact are different.

Spoiler

In the book, each time they win a challenge they get the key which lead to a hint which leads to a door. But in the book they just get the key and open up a hint that brings you to the next challenge. The characters aren't friends in the book and don't meet up until the very end. In the movie, they from the start are friends. Outside of Parzival and H being friends in both the book and movie. The book is more going on about how they solve each challenge and hint. The movie is very fast paced on that and it just kind of happen.

Oh and I saw this in HDR and it is amazing. Don't think I ever want to go back to non HDR. The contrast of the color is amazing. I can't really tell the difference between 1080 and 4k. But I definitely can see a big difference in the jump to HDR.