HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

SanDisk Introducing 512GB SD Card - Largest Yet

What's the largest SD card you've used? 32GB? 64GB? Well, apparently SanDisk is coming out with the biggest SD card yet, one that comes in at 512GB.

I suppose it's good to see that they're continuing to make advancement when it comes to memory in small cards and such, even if this particular card will go on sale for $800 initially. But just imagine if you could use that with your Vita (or 3DS). You'd never run out of room ever! xD

If you want the technical details on everything about the 512GB card, see the link below.

http://hothardware.com/News/SanDisk-Announces-Worlds-Largest-SD-Card-At-512GB/

Would you have any use for a 512GB card just yet?

For that price you might as well lug around an external HDD. xD

I'm sure it'll come in handy for certain companies, but it won't be useful for consumers for a long while probably.

So.... can I put this in my 3DS?

I would love a 512GB card for my Sony Alpha. I could keep more images on my camera instead of wiping it with each upload. That size would also be great for my backups. Right now, I backup images and RAW files which are a lot bigger than JPEGs to an external USB hard drive and thumb sticks. With my SD wallet, I could carry every photo I've ever taken in my pocket.

Price wise, I'm waiting a few years though. I'd want to pay less than $100 for one. Could be a while.....vast majority of people would have no use for one. :(

Currently, I have a bunch of small cards (16GB or less), three 32GB cards and one 64GB card. Also a drawer with a bunch of Pro Duo cards that are pretty useless these days. Lol.

What I actually miss is the larger flash cards for older digital cameras. Those things are lightning fast compared to SD cards. My Honda CRV (which I traded) also used the flash cards for music which blew away using a phone or iPod. Lol.

Ughh I want a few of these. 2 for my new car, 1 for the 3DS, and of course one for the Vita :D.

• Like 1

Is there a limit for that small size of card ?!

This is as high a capacity they've been able to give it so far, so yeah, looks to be 512GB for the meantime. It is pretty impressive for a little card like that.

$800...

... pass....

Pretty cool, though.

Waiting for my black friday sales so it can go down $25 :P

Waiting for my black friday sales so it can go down $25 :P

Haha, probably not this year. Depending on how fast prices go down for this type of memory, maybe in 5 years or so? xD

By then I'd imagine SD cards will be outdated, but who knows.

• Like 1

Haha, probably not this year. Depending on how fast prices go down for this type of memory, maybe in 5 years or so? xD

By then I'd imagine SD cards will be outdated, but who knows.

Haha, waiting for this on the bargin bins. Another 100 years lol

The thing is, who can afford this type of memory and, more importantly, who needs this large of an SD Card save for photographers? Then again, I suppose those professional photographer sorts can afford it.

• Like 1

The thing is, who can afford this type of memory and, more importantly, who needs this large of an SD Card save for photographers? Then again, I suppose those professional photographer sorts can afford it.

Beyond photographers or video guys, I don't see wide appeal with so many cheap options out there. There would be demand in portable gaming for that size like the Vita possibly. I'd imagine a 512GB Vita card would run $3,000 though and only in a special Sony sale. Lmao.

I dream of a day in the future where we go to a standard portable memory option for all devices. Only consumer rage could make that happen though or a government act.

Beyond photographers or video guys, I don't see wide appeal with so many cheap options out there. There would be demand in portable gaming for that size like the Vita possibly. I'd imagine a 512GB Vita card would run $3,000 though and only in a special Sony sale. Lmao.

I dream of a day in the future where we go to a standard portable memory option for all devices. Only consumer rage could make that happen though or a government act.

Sony would take an arm and a leg for a 512GB Vita card.

Wow ,that is larger than my current HD :)  What about microsd ,any news on larger size ?

As far as I'm aware, I think 64-128GB is the largest size? Not sure on that second one just yet, but 64 exists for sure.