HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jonathan Higgins

Jonathan's Soon-to-be-Smash Bros. for 3DS Compendium Thread

UPDATE: 9/18/14

This morning, I return to Smash coverage after basking in the retro-gaming glory of my RetroN 5  and Theatrhythm: Curtain Call. Despite life“s many distractions, I“ve still been playing Smash regularly. Now then:

Online Mode has been intimidating for me because...well, it“s in another language. Sakurai“s love of menus is not for the faint of heart. But I“ll do my best to describe what I see, in addition to getting to the important part...eventually. :)

You can play online with your 3DS Friends or with strangers in the left and right top-menus, respectively. There are two data-related buttons to click right underneath them.

The left one, a sort of pie-chart, is one I don“t quite understand. But in my game, I see Shulk and Marth on that screen. Shulk has “55%é in red, and Marth has “45%é in blue. I“ve used Shulk and Lucina online so far, not Marth, so...I honestly have no idea what this pie chart is depicting. Is it online usage percentages?

The right one, showing a map of the world, is a little easier to understand. It leads to another breakdown of three menus. One is a launch minigame (the bigger, top one). One is a replay channel where you can watch saved online matches of your favorite characters (whomever you choose), and the last is a world map of everyone currently playing online. These various extra bells and whistles associated with online play indicate to me that a ton of polish has been put into the online interactivity of the game. While I strongly believe the 3DS version of the game is built more for people who play for fun versus playing competitively, anyone whose aim is to exclusively compete online will not run out of things to do anytime soon.

Battle itself is divided between those who play for fun and for glory. I“ve tried both modes, which play seamlessly, without any lag on my end. For fun features items and randomly selected stages. For glory has you playing on Final Destination without items. I wanted to give the game its proper online stress test, so I played at 7 AM, 10 AM, 1 PM, 3 PM, 7 PM and 10 PM. No lag at any time. None….whatsoever. Your experience may differ because the game will be out on a global scale, but man did online run smoothly over here. This is good news for many, I imagine.

I wish I could detail the StreetPass features, but since no one else on my block has the game yet, I can only offer a bit of my “practice run(s)é, which promptly unlocked some sort of challenge in the challenge room. You can edit a greeting and pick a character, then...unleash your character in a sort of minigame that reminds me of tin-pin slammer from The World Ends With You. As a small, circular pin-like object with a sharp end, your objective is to get behind your opponent(s) and try to knock them off the stage.

Beyond playing through Classic Mode as each character and potentially unlocking more challenges, I think my Smash coverage kind of draws to a close here. There are an infinite number of things to do in the game thanks to Smash Run, customizable stuff, and hidden, custom moves for each character. But there“s only so much I can talk about, beyond answering individual questions.  I“ll probably move towards weekly updates versus daily ones from this point on, focusing on the things I“ve found and the characters I“ve played as.

Hey, hey. One last tidbit concerning Smash Run. So, the music that plays is random. To give you the ideal Smash Run experience, the game allows you to pick which music (out of every tune in the game) you want to play as you complete the challenge(s) of Smash Run. It“s certainly a nice touch!

So, to recap: Smash Bros for 3DS features:

48 playable characters

34 playable stages (many of which are repeats from Brawl)

70(+) challenges to complete

4 competent modes in Battle Royale, Classic Mode, All-Star Mode, and Smash Run

Many, many bonus modes you“re used to, and many more you haven“t seen.

Over 600 trophies

Hundreds of stat boosts, Mii Fighter Equipment, Custom Moves for all characters, and more.

Over 114 pieces of music (including repeats from Brawl)

It“s certainly worth the $40 price-tag here in the United States, in this guy“s opinion. It“s got everything Brawl had except a story, but you can play it on the go. It“s been a pleasure bringing all this info to you guys. My coverage is far from over, because the spoiler thread will go live as soon as I“ve finished writing it up. But beyond character analysis, I“ve simply run out of things to say. :P Look for weekly updates to this thread from this point on detailing small things I“ve found. And, as always, I“ll take the time to answer questions I can.

From 9/14/14

For those of you who have heard the news about Circle Pads breaking from people playing this game--don't fret. I've spent a ton of time with the final version...and the Circle Pad on my 3DS LL shows no sign(s) of wear. Just be careful, all right? If you want the serious kind of competitive play that might put your hardware at risk, I recommend just waiting for the Wii U version. Something tells me the 3DS version is for fun, while the Wii U version is more "for glory". 

Anyway. So, remember yesterday when I unlocked all the characters and pondered where all the stages were? ...I had them all unlocked about an hour later. Here“s a hint: if you see a hidden stage from a Rep in Classic Mode, try using that character in Battle Royal 2-3 times. Apparently each hidden stage is tied to a task in the Challenge Room, so...maybe you all won“t need hints when the game comes out in a language you can understand. Hahaha.

Also, remember when I said the game had 35 challenges? Turns out, by unlocking stages and frolicking around in other modes including what“s referred to as Target Blast and Trophy Rush, I mashed the remaining challenges and unlocked Page Two (which then triggered a chain reaction breaking 13 more of the now 70 total challenges in the game. Could there be even more? I don“t think so. But: if you complete a Challenge that“s on Page Two before unlocking Page Two, you needn“t worry. The game apparently remembers.

No, I still have no idea what these challenges are. I have a feeling when I get the game in English I“m going to have many a facepalm moment.

All-Star Mode is really frantic, with almost 50 characters. You don“t face them one at a time in Easy or Normal Mode (I haven“t been brave enough to try Hard yet); it“s more like….8 or 9 at a time, with 3 fighters (in addition to yourself) occupying the arena. The physics have been altered slightly in the player“s favor, making foes easier to blast away, much like the Fighting Polygon Team from the old Smash games, or the Fighting Mii Team (yeah, that“s a thing) from this game. Apparently there are so many characters that Sakurai thought it would be impossible to complete the task as issued without a little nudge. Maybe Hard Mode loses the edge? I“ll let you guys know.

Characters are grouped by year, and come at you in volleys. The final few are Shulk, Lucina and Greninja, as can be predicted. I“ve yet to see any stages, modes or features (beyond trophies and coins like in Classic Mode) rewarded to me for beating All-Star. Seems once you unlock every character & every stage, there“s no “big twistsé left. The music seems to have changed for my main menu, indicating that I“ve...well...accomplished things. Just like it did in Melee and Brawl once various modes were unlocked, or when someone completed the Subspace Emissary for the first time.

I think that“s all there is to it, though. Classic, All-Star, Battle Royale, and Smash Run. Four competent modes, 48 characters, 34 stages, 70 challenges. I think the true single-player replayability in this game is going to be gathering up all 600-something trophies, finding all the various Mii equipment and custom moves, and playing the ever-loving snot out of Smash Run. At just under 13 hours, I consider the “bulké of my single-player “coverageé to be complete. I guarantee I“ll spend double that just mucking around in battle against the computer, Smash Run, etc.

Speaking of Smash Run, I have dabbled in it a little more since my first update two days back. I“ve gone through as five different characters now, so I can report some things I“m noticing:

- I“ve seen enemies from almost all repped franchises, but I“ve not seen a single boss character yet. I“m thinking boss characters and modes like that may be reserved for the Wii U version of the game.

- To my knowledge, there is no way to alter the five minutes you get to explore the (very massive, always the same) Field. Think of the size of the field as relating to the size of the final level of Subspace Emissary. It“s going to take you a long time to explore every inch--and I think half of what will keep the experience fresh is the enemies you encounter.

- Smash Run assigns various “tasksé to you during your five minutes. Find a door, then go inside and rob the room of its treasures. Or break targets. Or defeat enemies in 30 seconds or less. Rewards for accomplishing said tasks are typically heaps upon heaps of stat boosts for The Final Battle, and likely trophies/Mii Equipment/custom moves.

- The Final Battle is typically a one minute Battle Royale on a random stage, with 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 setup. Sometimes, it“s even a team battle. Rarely, there are various handicaps associated with the battle (such as everyone being at 300% damage).

- Sometimes, The Final Battle will take place on an event field. Run, jump, or punch your way through a level and get to the finish line first to win. Levels are plagued with obstacles that kill you instantly if you touch them, forcing you to respawn behind your opponents. But, once anyone hits said obstacles, they“re gone for good.

I think that about covers it. Like I said, I“m way too fearful of Japanese reading comprehension (and the fact that I completely lack it) right now to try to explain custom moves and character customization, but that is a major part of how Smash Run works, and no character is excluded.

My next update may dabble in some of the online and StreetPass functionalities. Am I too afraid to play nice with others? We'll see. :P

I“ll post any updates I discover while frolicking around in other modes, too. I wonder what kind of secrets the game has left for me to find now that the “majoré ones have been discovered?

I“ll also begin an all-out, no-holds-barred SPOILER thread tomorrow. If you want to stay in the dark, you've been given ample warning.

From 9/13/14:

As of this moment, I have officially unlocked every single character. Without spoiling who any of them are, I can officially confirm there are 48 characters total in Smash 4. The one thing I haven“t done is unlock stages. Beyond the two that that unlocked with a certain chain of events related to secret characters, I“ve seen no new Stages in Battle Royale beyond the ones you can see (but not select) in the demo.

It“s puzzling to me. I“ve seen a handful of fantastic stages (again, since I“m attempting to keep this thread spoiler-free, I“ll not talk about them here) via Classic Mode battles, but...none of those have unlocked in multiplayer yet. Are they exclusive arenas only featured in Classic Mode?

Speaking of Classic Mode, I do want to say a few things about it now that my brain is less muddled from playing six hours straight.

- “Intensity Levelé can be altered like in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Higher difficulty yields better rewards. How are these rewards earned? At the start of every battle, a roulette spins. Rewards include custom moves for characters, Mii equipment, trophies and coins to spend on custom moves, Mii equipment and trophies. Fair enough, right?

- It“s over fairly quick. Seven battles stand between you and the credits. Still, you“re given the option to choose who you fight between one or two branching paths.

- The Master Hand is back. Crazy Hand is also back--and the two are a pair if you elect to go with the harder choice at the end--the path has always branched for me, giving me the option to choose.

- For those of you who did not watch the Nintendo Stream: there is a new Final Boss that is not Tabuu. Will detail my experience(s) with it when I create the SPOILER thread soon. (Give me a few days? Just trying to keep things basic for now.)

- Rather than being able to choose a set number of lives, the game opts to give you two lives per battle. If you die twice, you continue. The game isn“t harsh when it comes to cutting your rewards, but I can only assume certain characters won“t be unlocked via Classic Mode if you continue (you can unlock all of them by fighting in Battle Royale, however).

Now that I“ve unlocked every character, I“ll be going through All-Star Mode before long. Wanted to wait until every single character had been unlocked before I made the journey to the end.

A few random tidbits gathered from questions asked of me here on the forums, in Chat or elsewhere across Social Media:

- Smash Run functions like the Subspace Emissary from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but without the story. And instead of random Brawl enemies, the whole game is filled with crazy nostalgia in the form of the enemies you face. I don“t want to spoil any specific ones here.

- My favorite new character is a secret one, which I“ll detail later. If it weren“t that one, it would be Shulk. But...the roster is filled with characters that will settle in any niche. I“m certain everyone who plays will find a suitable.

- The returning character that surprised me the most is actually Yoshi, followed by Bowser. Those two are perhaps the perfect example characters when referring to how much weight and attack power have shifted in the game. I slashed a foe in Classic Mode and killed him with a single, non-powered-up Smash Attack as Bowser. Dude is a powerhouse.

- Lucina has replaced Marth in my “mainé rotation. I“m not sure why she feels better than Marth to me, but...so it goes. It“s the subtle things.

- Yes, you can alter the game“s controls. You can swap what buttons do what by way of the touch screen in an Options Menu, and it gives you the option to test out your new configuration or restore to defaults.

- I haven“t found a way to pick what music plays for any given stage...yet. Granted, I haven“t really looked all that hard.

- I also haven“t gone online yet. Trying to keep things streamlined and personal since I“m still coping with understanding the language, haha.

- I“ve gotten 98 trophies in two days. I“ve successfully completed 20/35 in-game “Challengesé. The screen isn“t nearly as vast as it was in Brawl. No, I have no idea what the challenges are asking me to do. xD

- The (default) controls and overall system still feel comfortable to me, despite being on a handheld.

From 9/12/14: 

I've had the full game from Japan since this morning, and I've played for over six hours. I haven't even scratched the surface regarding what this game has to offer. 

Modes of play I've experienced fully include Battle Royale, Smash Run, Classic Mode, Multi-Man Smash and more. 

There are unlockable characters and stages. They are plentiful. I've found most through Battle Royale (just simple fighting, me versus the computer) and at least one through Classic Mode. I've battled on every single stage, and explored the game's trophy shop and modes to get trophies at length. The game also has a very full soundtrack that's available for your listening pleasure, even while your 3DS is closed.

Smash Run by itself would take me thousands of words to cover in full due to the extreme level of customization. You can alter every character's stats for Smash Run, and you can find hundreds of clothes, moves and more for your Mii Fighters. It's freaking overwhelming, especially since it's in a language I don't understand. Haha. 

Characters I've played as, in order from most playtime to least. 

- Shulk

- Lucina

- Pikachu

- A super-secret character who may be my new favorite.

- Robin

and characters (not including the above) I've gone through once in Classic Mode (will update daily):

- Mario

- Luigi

- Peach

- Rosalina & Luma

- Bowser

- Yoshi

- Ike

- Kirby

- Dedede

- Mii Fighter

(My goal is to slowly make my way through Classic Mode as all 36 characters in the starting roster. Should reward me somehow.)

What questions do you all have? What characters do you specifically want me to try [and to write about]? Keep secret characters out of this thread if you already know about them; I'm aiming for it to be spoiler-free. I will create a SPOILERS thread sometime next week that details all the hidden stuff I've found. 

There's too much for me to try and do this without some sort of structure. So I'm counting on all of your questions to help create that structure. :)

Happy gaming! I know a ton of you got to play the demo today, or will next week. And many more watched the streams that happened! Suffice to say, the full version is absolutely amazing, and I've found very little flaws.

• Like 2

Bump. Updated with new info. Will continue to do so each day. Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll address them in my next update, or by replying in this thread. :)

Keep up the good work, man.

• Like 1

I only have two major questions at the moment; however, I think one is a spoiler of sorts?  I'll put it in tags just in case.

What's the gameplay differences between Pit and Dark Pit?  Anything major, or is Dark Pit kinda a clone character?

Also, I'd love to know how the FE: Awakening characters play.  <3

Keep up the good work, man.

Thank you, sir! 

[Question 1 does indeed contain spoilers.]

Also, I'd love to know how the FE: Awakening characters play.  <3

1) I'll answer your first question way more directly when I devote an entire thread to this kind of thing, but for now I'll refer you to this post where Sakurai explains the "subtle differences" between Marth & Lucina. Identical in terms of abilities, not quite in terms of...physics. 

2) Lucina is someone I've spent a ton of time with, as someone who used to main Marth. It's really difficult for me to explain the subtleties between the two, but there definitely are differences, and I think these differences work to Lucina's advantage. Plus, she has an alternate costume that makes her resemble Tiki (in terms of coloration), and that is just fantastic. :P I prefer her to Marth after spending several hours with both characters, and it's not just 'cuz she's a lady! 

Robin has a ton of layers to him. Do you want to go short-ranged, but slightly less effective? Whack people with the Levin Sword or use the Nosferatu tome. Want to go long-range, and focus on aiming in order to increase effectiveness? You've got (El)thunder and (El)fire at your disposal for that. Want to unleash a devastating charge attack like Samus's gunshot & other stuff you're used to? You've got a tome for that too. Elwind is the Up-B that does damage to people below you, not in front or above you like you're used to with most Fire Emblem characters. Robin is an overall balanced dude or dudette that takes time getting used to, but will be a decent fighter if mastered. Plus, his/her Final Smash has Chrom. Yay? Yay. 

Ike and Marth are exactly like you remember them. The only thing that's really changed are how the new physics of the game impact them, but that's a nuance I can't elaborate upon, unfortunately. 

Wish I were a competitive player sometimes. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the technical terms. Still, I'm doing my best. :P

Ooh, I'd like to know how Shulk plays, as well as Robin. They were probably two of the most interesting characters to me. Ooh, Greninja too!

Bump, once again updated with even more info. Roy, I already detailed Robin for gaiages (let me know if you want to hear even more); I'll get to Greninja eventually. I'm trying to focus on various game modes before characters (because there are a tooooonnn) until Tuesday-ish when I finally get four days off work. Give me time, please. :) Until then:

Shulk: There are sword fighters, and then...there are sword fighters with Monado artes. Or is it arts? Man, it's been too long since I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles. Now I'm sad. :( Anyway. Before getting into the artes themselves, I'll describe Shulk's movements. Soft-A gives you a punch+kick+sword combo. Smash Attack swings the Monado. Soft-B allows you to select and toggle through your various artes. Keep in mind artes only last a few moments, and there is a cool-down period after each use. So think carefully about what you want to (temporarily) specialize in. Shulk has the potential to be the reckoning of sword-fighters because of his potentail with artes. Jeez. Anyway. His Down-B works like Marth, Ike and Lucina--in the sense that if you're about to be attacked, slam that button down and Shulk will have "a vision" and intercept the blow. The Monado is a directional-sweep only; Shulk works differently than the other sword-fighters when it comes to the...block-ability of the Monado. And last but not least, his up B is an upward sword swing...that can be used TWICE for more leverage.

Regarding his artes. One makes him run almost as fast as Sonic. One gives him much air (and yes, you can quickly scroll through the artes and give yourself a higher jump and manage to land on the edge, leaving your foes with jaws agape. One increases his strength. One increases defense (but makes him move really slow, like a tank). And the buster increases the Monado itself. Shulk is my main, so I've spent the most time with him. Man, he is an absolute blast to use, and may end up being dubbed "OP" by tournament folks as more people get their hands on the game.

Shulk: 

Oh sweet. Glad to hear he's at least fun to play. Whenever I think of 'Stance' characters I get nervous. In games like Street Fighter, like Gen, they seem like a lot of fun and have tons of potential. the draw back is, it feels like you have to effectively learn a separate character for each stance. From trailers alone, I was incredibly interested in how Robin and Shulk would translate. Now obviously, Smash Bros is not Street Fighter. So I just wanted to see how the uses of different stances worked if well or annoying in Smash. 4 stances not including neutral Monado for Shulk seems like a lot, but if it's as easy to cycle through them as you're making it sound I can see him being top tier. However, his learning curve is probably gonna be tremendously larger than some. I'm hoping to play him a bit and I really wanted to see how Greninja was too. Robin was more like a pipe dream, but based on your description, I don't think I really wanna play him.

The most important question I have - Is the game fun ?

4 stances not including neutral Monado for Shulk seems like a lot, but if it's as easy to cycle through them as you're making it sound I can see him being top tier. However, his learning curve is probably gonna be tremendously larger than some. 

You just accurately summed it up. Easy to cycle through and learn, hard to master.

The most important question I have - Is the game fun ?

It's a total chore. :P

Nah. It's cool. I'll give more of an opinion when I actually throw together a review at the end of this week (just guessing on that time-frame) after I've done everything to death. 

Well then, that Peach banning glitch is quite interesting. Don't get banned, mister Higgins.

Well then, that Peach banning glitch is quite interesting. Don't get banned, mister Higgins.

Wait, what is this now?

First I've heard of a Peach banning glitch. xD

Wait, what is this now?

First I've heard of a Peach banning glitch. xD

Apparently it's a glitch in the game for when you use Peach's downward special, the one where she pulls the turnip out of the ground, some people are reporting getting banned. It's not very consistent, but still a thing.

Apparently it's a glitch in the game for when you use Peach's downward special, the one where she pulls the turnip out of the ground, some people are reporting getting banned. It's not very consistent, but still a thing.

More specifically, Jason and Roy--the reason people are being banned is because the game's algorithm is picking up Peach's love for veggies as...an illegal item, or illegal item use. I don't use Peach, so I shouldn't run into any issues. 

I've had a long day, and I don't really feel up for a full report. Maybe I'll do two major updates tomorrow. But I have been dabbling in the game a little still, so I'll hide some thoughts about a super secret character behind a spoiler wall. Seriously. You've been warned. This is meant to be a sneak peak into the Spoiler Thread, which I'll create when I'm feeling slightly less exhausted. 

The Duck Hunt Dog, or simply "Duck Hunt", is my favorite Smash character of all time, officially, trumping Shulk, Lucina and everyone else I've spent hours of time with. It's not necessarily because he's top tier; it's because he's one of the most original characters Sakurai has ever created. "Duck Hunt" refers to the dog and bird combination, because there is a reliance on both. The bird sometimes carries the dog [up+B], or pecks repeatedly while the pup sleeps (A rapid-attack). The dog is counted on for most direct physical attacks. But the best and most unique part of Duck Hunt is the character's involvement of the "gun" aspect of the game. The "B" attack controls a can being shot by the player. If the can lands on an opponent, it explodes with as much power as one of Link's bombs. I can't tell you how many foes I've sniped from afar with a well-aimed...can...attack. Furthermore, doggy's got discs to throw (which the "player" shoots--that's his B + directional attack), a decent cast of 8-bit shooter-characters to plop on the ground that say "Draw!" and then pop an opponent in the face (B+down), and...yes, his taunt features a laugh. 

His victory music never fails to make me smile. But Duck Hunt doesn't get represented with a stage in-game! You fight dog & bird in Battlefield. I am so disappointed, for real. I hope there's a full stage in the Wii U version!!

So yeah. There's that, and a sneak peak into my Spoiler thread. I'll make up for today's lack of words with twice the content tomorrow once I've (finally) gotten some sleep in me. Also, Roy, I played as Greninja earlier. He confused the hell out of me! I need to spend more time with him before I give proper analysis. See you guys tomorrow for a proper update & the Spoiler Thread. 

So, I'm a super Smash newb, so I only know how to effectively play a single character from Brawl.  So forgive me if my next question sounds weird...

How does Lucina play compared to Ike?  I never really learned to play as Marth too well, so I don't even know his moveset too well.  If I remember correctly, Ike is more powerful and slower than Marth (it's been a while since I've played Brawl), so it the discrepancy even greater between Ike and Lucina?

I know you... er, probably can't answer that too well, but hey :3

So, I'm a super Smash newb, so I only know how to effectively play a single character from Brawl.  So forgive me if my next question sounds weird...

How does Lucina play compared to Ike?  I never really learned to play as Marth too well, so I don't even know his moveset too well.  If I remember correctly, Ike is more powerful and slower than Marth (it's been a while since I've played Brawl), so it the discrepancy even greater between Ike and Lucina?

I know you... er, probably can't answer that too well, but hey :3

The good news is, this game caters well to Super Smash newbs. Not only does the game feature the biggest cast ever (filled with all sorts of characters well-suited to beginners, customization that can help with learning, and more), but the AI seems more balanced (Lv 1 = easy peasy, Lv9 = cruel) than ever.

As far as your question:

- Ike and Marth's movesets only share a single similarity, and that's in their Down+B attacks. When you approach both Marth and Ike and move to attack them, if the player mashes Down+B, they can deflect an incoming attack with their blade. Shulk has an attack that's similar to this as well where he "sees a vision" with the Monado that allows him to deflect an attack, but his vision(s) function just a wee bit differently than the Fire Emblem characters. 

- Ike's moveset focuses on brute strength. If you hold the B button, he charges his sword for a fiery blow that can send foes flying. His Up+B features him throwing Ragnell, then jumping towards it. In general, he is much more focused on strength over speed.

- Marth, by comparison, moves a lot quicker. Instead of a charge-up attack for his neutral B, he has a combo associated with it. Pressing B and holding left or right launches him into a combo volley that, if the foe is caught on the tip of his sword, will send them flying. His Up+B is simply a long sword jump--he doesn't let go of his blade at all. He's a lot speedier than Ike. 

- Lucina is just like Marth, but instead of attacks being weighed upon "just the tip", the power is distributed across her entire blade. So it won't matter if the foe is caught in her entire B-combo, or the very tail end--they'll still be sent flying (but arguably not as far). Lucina is slightly more nimble than Marth because she's tinier, too.

That's about as technical as I can get. xD Someone who plays competitively, feel free to springboard off me if necessary. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the in-depth response.  :3~ 

• Like 1

I haven't had time to add thousands of words to my main posts (I blame Hyperkin and Theatrhythm; my writing will resume soon!), but I'll always take the time to respond to questions. :)

I haven't had time to add thousands of words to my main posts (I blame Hyperkin and Theatrhythm; my writing will resume soon!), but I'll always take the time to respond to questions. :)

No excuses! You're here to entertain us and provide crucial, life or death Smash Bros info! Blagh! Nah, jk. Thanks though, lots of good stuff so far.

I guess it's time for me to make an official request sir! I too would like to know more about the differences between Pit and Dark Pit, if one seems faster or stronger or anything like that... but I'd really like to hear more about Rosalina and Lumia. She seems like such a strange character, to rely on a partner like say Ice Cimbers, but to have more direct control over each. What do you think Mr. Higgins? Is she worth the work?

Bump. I think that about does it for this thread, besides answering questions from people. Be careful regarding spoilers, for those who don't want to see 'em. I'll make a separate thread right now. 

I'm not the best at using Rosalina & Luma, Chris, but I can certainly try to explain her. She functions almost exactly like the Ice Climbers, if memory serves correctly about those two. Her reveal trailer seems to suggest that you have more direct control over Luma, but...uh....I haven't seen the option to freely control him/her yet. I can, with at least 70% confidence, say that Luma does not have much, if any, direct control. Holding B launches the Luma towards your opponent. When far away, the Luma will fight for you, or alongside you. But for the most part, Rosalina is controlled independently. She has standard attacks, an Up+B that launchers her like a spring-star from Super Mario Galaxy, various wand-related attacks, and....that's pretty much it. I may have more to report as I use her more, but for now, Rosalina seems to be your typical ranged character that's meant to serve as a sort of Ice-Climbers-replacement, regrettably.  

I can, with at least 70% confidence, say that Luma does not have much, if any, direct control. Holding B launches the Luma towards your opponent. When far away, the Luma will fight for you, or alongside you. 

That is kind of upsetting :/ Oh well. One less character to try and main I guess!!