HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Microsoft Skipping Windows 9 and Jumping Straight to 10

So this is pretty bizarre.

Remember yesterday when I mentioned that Windows 8 users would get Windows 9 for free? Turns out Windows 9 isn't happening at all now; Microsoft is jumping straight to Windows 10, apparently.

Someone on Twitter brought out that this shouldn't be so strange after they named the current Xbox Xbox One (instead of 720 or something), but still... pretty strange, lol.

Anyhow, you can read more about it on The Verge if you want; it's basically a combination of Windows 7 and 8 as far as the GUI goes, and it's supposed to run on a wide variety of devices.

What do you guys make of this news? Surprised that Microsoft skipped 9 altogether? xD

The comparison to Xbox would kinda make sense except they're literally skipping a number instead of just giving it a different name based on numbers. xD It would be one thing if they were calling it Windows 15 (for 2015) since they've done years in the past, but just skipping a number is like...wut. lol

I guess people won't really care what they call it as long as it doesn't suck though, so hopefully they'll, you know, make it not suck.

Windows 10 sounds a lot like my modified Windows 8. 

"Search is back."

The fact that this had to be said made me laugh so, so, so hard. 

I thought Win 9 was suppose to be a combination of Win 8 and 7?

I thought Win 9 was suppose to be a combination of Win 8 and 7?

Pretty much.

In related news, apparently a reason has surfaced for the change in name from 9 to 10. This is what a supposed Microsoft dev posted on Reddit.

By4GyZdCUAAWuL3.png

So basically, using Windows 9 may have meant a slew of issues since many programs were slated to look for Windows 95 or 98, since they both had 9 as the first interger as well. It does make sense, but I'm surprised Microsoft wasn't more forward thinking about that issue in the first place.

Windows Snow Leopard.