HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

What do you think of Super Smash Bros. 3DS so far?

We've all had a good day (or day and a half) to experience Super Smash Bros. for 3DS so far, so thought I'd open this topic to discuss what we think of the game so far.

For me, I'm liking it a lot (of course). However, for some reason I'm finding it a bit more... unfocused than previous games. I'm not sure if that's due to the layout of the menu screen, but it seems less like there are things to strive for and complete other than the 35 challenges. Smash Run is fun, but I can only play it so many times, and I'm not sure how often I'll play through the other minigames (100 man brawl, and such).

Also, I miss the Event matches from Melee and Brawl! Hopefully those will be back in full force in the Wii U version of the game.

I do like the way Classic Mode and All-Star Mode are set up; love the branching paths in the former as well as the way they group characters in time periods together in the latter.

Does anyone feel that some of the secret characters are almost too challenging? I'm glad they're not a pushover, but man, some of them took at least two attempts to beat.

I also thought the smaller screen size would be a problem for me (keeping track of characters), but surprisingly I've gotten used to it. And I'm using the normal 3DS as well, go figure. :P

Anyhow, those are my thoughts for now. What do you guys think? Is there anything you like or dislike about the game so far?

P.S. BTW, if anyone is looking for guidance on how to unlock characters and other spoilery stuff, be sure to check out Jonathan's ALMIGHTY Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U spoiler thread.

• Like 1

I'm torn on the 3DS version.  The game is mostly what I wanted from a new Smash Bros game, but the platform is a bit regrettable. 

Unfortunately, the system is not designed for this type of game.  The Gerudo Valley location, despite being one of my favorite new levels, and a handful of others simply cannot handle items and 3 players.  I've had a terrible time with some of these levels online, but that same experience carries over to a locally hosted match.  It's a shame, honestly.  Although I like a number of these new levels, a healthy number of levels, hazards and platforms are infuriating. The 3DS Slider is already a big enough pain to deal with, but combine the levels where you can drop like a rock through the platform in the middle of a level and go straight into the abyss?  No thanks.

The menu has some of the worst design choices in the game, which is really saying something given the existence of a certain stage.  For example, in Brawl you could view the full range of challenge windows.  In this one?  You get 35 at a time.  If you finish those first 35, you will unlock the next panel of 35 and all challenges completed prior to unlocking that panel. The quick-unlocks (hammers) don't seem to carry over to the second panel.  As you try to select and move to the second panel, the hammer is no longer able to be selected.  

Characters:  

A large number of characters received quite a few subtle changes to their moves, while not actually changing their move set.

Jigglypuff's "Puff" move (L/R + B ) takes the Puff a much shorter distance.

Game & Watch's match move has all damage solely focused on the tip of the match.  Smaller characters can actually miss getting hit by that move. His down tilt is much shorter and the chair is a bit more powerful.  He's quite a bit faster, but it makes his neutral air move pretty useless because his float 

Bowser no longer does a nose dive for a dash-attack, he now does a jump kick.  This one is an odd change as it makes him even lighter than Ganondorf. .

I like Dark Pit. They removed that obnoxiously long save move and turned it into an impressively high launching move.  His dark arrows remind me a lot of Falco's laser.  It's a slower shot, but causes the target to flinch.  The infinite spam is also gone, replaced with a satisfying hammer attack.  Heavier hitting, but a tad slower.  I think he's much more balanced than Pit from Brawl.

There are a lot more of these changes, too.  Overall, I really like a lot of the character designs.  I'm sad they didn't do a palette swap for Dr. Mario that turned him into Dr. Luigi.... similar to how they handled to Koopa kids and Olimar/Alph. That was definitely a missed opportunity.

I haven't even touched on Smash Run, Classic Mode (which I really like the changes) or All-star mode.  I miss the target challenges that were in Brawl.  The majority of those levels were expertly designed to use all of the character's moves.  You can find the "Destroy All Targets" rooms in Smash Run, but it's not the same. The target mini game has been replaced by a new bomb the target mode, which is more luck based than skill-based.

I do hope the Wii U version expands the game, but I absolutely doubt it will add characters or balance anything further.  The Wii U version allowing me to use a Gamecube controller will alleviate the issues with 3DS hand-cramping.

The circle-pad is a little too sensitive; I will run beyond people and items when I do not mean to. Maybe this is just something I will have to get used to and will get better over time as a result. Dark Pit and Lucina destoryed me two or three times each, Jason! I am really enjoyed it so far. I did not expect that much from it and am taking it for what it is. Let us be honest here, this is going to be supplementary gaming when the Wii U version is released.

The menu has some of the worst design choices in the game, which is really saying something given the existence of a certain stage.  For example, in Brawl you could view the full range of challenge windows.  In this one?  You get 35 at a time.  If you finish those first 35, you will unlock the next panel of 35 and all challenges completed prior to unlocking that panel. The quick-unlocks (hammers) don't seem to carry over to the second panel.  As you try to select and move to the second panel, the hammer is no longer able to be selected. 

Yeah, the 35 challenges at a time is a bit strange, as is the hammer use. Apparently, each page has its own hammers that can only be used on that page; luckily I found out about this when I was down to the last three tiles on the first page, so I was able to use all 3 hammers that way.

Still, a lot of those StreetPass challenges will be a pain for me since I never get StreetPasses. I plan to use my hammers on those exactly, but I'm unsure if the second set of 35 challenges has three hammers. :(

I do hope the Wii U version expands the game, but I absolutely doubt it will add characters or balance anything further.  The Wii U version allowing me to use a Gamecube controller will alleviate the issues with 3DS hand-cramping.

I was hoping for the same as well (especially with maybe a few added characters), but given that you can use the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version, I'm starting to doubt it'll have extra characters. I guess the verdict is still out on extra stages though; for some reason, I can see the Wii U version having up to 1.5x as many as the 3DS version. At the very least, I hope to see a lot of the older stages return in the same way they did for Brawl. Also hoping to see a proper Target Smash and some other modes that weren't included in the 3DS version.

It's okay... I'm not a huge fan of the feel for this itteration of Smash Bros. Plus the 3DS version feels like little more than a teaser as to what the Wii U version will be like. That's good and bad, I mean there are things of SSB4 that I really enjoy, the cast size, stage selection, visuals, and such is one of them. However, I miss just like a normal classic mode, not the weird go around and collect coins, then use those coins to pay for a higher difficulty. Kinda dumb to me. Plus, some characters, right now anyway, feel completely useless and terrible, while others are generally amazing and such. Rosalina is a good example of great characters.

The other thing that's bothering me is how in between Brawl and Melee it feels like. It's slow, but not as slow as Brawl. The combo-ability is all but gone, which leaves my interpretation of Meta rather limited. Not to say that there aren't it just feels much more difficult to do strings of things together. The thing I've always loved about fighting games, even Smash is the room for improvement. If there isn't a level to which I can get to by practicing then it gets boring quickly, despite playing with friends. You can only beat 3 level 9 computers so many times before it gets a tad old.

I find it a bit odd that some characters have ease racking up % rather quickly and then struggle to keep the opponent off. Even with some meteor smashes, I felt it difficult to really kill people until like upper 70-90% and most times it ranged into the hundreds as well. Lives shouldn't take that long to end in Smash. That was one of the sell points, fast skirmishes that were meant to be over quickly so a new one could start. Including a timer artificially creates the feeling of speed, but I still can't help but feel most of these matches, or at least the ones I've played have ended up turning into a who can land their smash attack first at a super high percentage so it insta-kills. 

As a side note, why the hell are more than half of the cast unlocked from the get go? There's less than 15 characters to unlock that, according to everyone I've spoken with as well as comparing actual matches it takes, are the most fast unlocks compared to every other Smash game. I don't want it to take forever and be a grind fest, but at least have it take a little longer than like a few hours. The sense of accomplishment is so much more enticing when you look at that completed character list, in my opinion. 

The online is pretty good though, I like the net code, little to no lag so far, generally a good time. 

Then again, I've felt a bit anti-Nintendo-mainstream as of late. Oh well, I still enjoy Smash 4 for what it's worth, but so far it's the least out of all of them so far.

As a side note, why the hell are more than half of the cast unlocked from the get go? There's less than 15 characters to unlock that, according to everyone I've spoken with as well as comparing actual matches it takes, are the most fast unlocks compared to every other Smash game. I don't want it to take forever and be a grind fest, but at least have it take a little longer than like a few hours. The sense of accomplishment is so much more enticing when you look at that completed character list, in my opinion.

It is kind of surprising that this game has slightly less unlockable characters than Brawl did (12 vs 16). The unlocks do seem somewhat faster, though I'm not sure that's a terrible thing (at least for me). Unless people are doing the specific requirements to unlock characters instead of just brawling, it seems like the full roster would take well within 5-10 hours to unlock completely. According to my 3DS, I've played 9 and a half hours and still haven't unlocked everyone. :P

By the by, do you plan to buy the Wii U version when it comes out, Roy?

It is kind of surprising that this game has slightly less unlockable characters than Brawl did (12 vs 16). The unlocks do seem somewhat faster, though I'm not sure that's a terrible thing (at least for me). Unless people are doing the specific requirements to unlock characters instead of just brawling, it seems like the full roster would take well within 5-10 hours to unlock completely. According to my 3DS, I've played 9 and a half hours and still haven't unlocked everyone. :P

By the by, do you plan to buy the Wii U version when it comes out, Roy?

Actually yeah. 3 reasons, I buy games all the time, I have a ton of friends that are going to be playing it as well as the majority of GP at this point, I have a good amount of money, even with putting away half my paycheck into savings I find myself at a loss sometimes as to what to do with it, haha. 

For me, I'm liking it a lot (of course). However, for some reason I'm finding it a bit more... unfocused than previous games. I'm not sure if that's due to the layout of the menu screen, but it seems less like there are things to strive for and complete other than the 35 challenges. Smash Run is fun, but I can only play it so many times, and I'm not sure how often I'll play through the other minigames (100 man brawl, and such).

Does anyone feel that some of the secret characters are almost too challenging? I'm glad they're not a pushover, but man, some of them took at least two attempts to beat.

When it comes to the menu screen I totally agree. Considering Sakurai's menus are usually really awesome, this time they don't look very good, with too many random shapes and colors that don't fit together at all and end up being too distracting. Things are also not logically grouped together. I think Trophy Rush should be in the "Stadium" with the other mini games like Home Run Contest, and despite having the game for several days I still struggle to find what I want sometimes.

And yeah Jason, I had some trouble with a few of them, especially Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr since I had no idea what to expect from their move sets. Took me a few tries each to know how to approach them and finally beat them. Kinda glad it wasn't just me!

The menu has some of the worst design choices in the game, which is really saying something given the existence of a certain stage.  

What certain stage?

The other thing that's bothering me is how in between Brawl and Melee it feels like. It's slow, but not as slow as Brawl. The combo-ability is all but gone, which leaves my interpretation of Meta rather limited. Not to say that there aren't it just feels much more difficult to do strings of things together. The thing I've always loved about fighting games, even Smash is the room for improvement. 

I feel like the balance between Brawl and Melee is exactly what they were going for. Not only that but any "meta" in Melee that made that game so popular were mostly the result of exploits and poor character balancing... so I'm not sure I'd instantly fault this for lacking that sort of stuff. I really don't want to deal with wave dashing being a thing again... and having to put up with the incessant whining from little weeb kids at the Smash Tournaments my friends and I host on occasion. The Melee player base is EASILY the biggest reason I prefer Brawl (and SANIC) to Melee any day of the week and I would die 1000 deaths before being a part of that community again.

I rather liked how quick the unlocks were. I didn't hate the 16 characters in Brawl because playing through SSE kept me entertained through all of them. If I had to go through more than 120 battles just for the extra characters I would have gotten really bored. As it was I was tired of the game after unlocking Duck Hunt, but soldiered on because hell, it was only 10 more to be finished. So 160 battles just for characters? Nooooooo thaaaaaanks.

When it comes to the menu screen I totally agree. Considering Sakurai's menus are usually really awesome, this time they don't look very good, with too many random shapes and colors that don't fit together at all and end up being too distracting. Things are also not logically grouped together. I think Trophy Rush should be in the "Stadium" with the other mini games like Home Run Contest, and despite having the game for several days I still struggle to find what I want sometimes.

The Melee player base is EASILY the biggest reason I prefer Brawl (and SANIC) to Melee any day of the week and I would die 1000 deaths before being a part of that community again.

Oh my god yes, I had to like dig to find training mode. Like what the heck?

On the Melee note, I'm indifferent honestly. I take Smash Bros about as seriously as I would half playing Street Fighter. I'll know enough to be 'competent' at the game, but not too far into the Meta. That being said, I have literally never taken Smash seriously enough to compete in legitimate tournaments, just stuff with friends. I greatly prefer something like Project M to Brawl. You talk about dying 1000 deaths because of the dumb stuff in Melee, oh how you've forgotten the brokenness of Meta Knight, the absurdity of Snake, and the completely flow charted tiers. Not to mention one of the worst game mechanics ever created; slipping. I'm not arguing that Melee is better than Brawl because frankly I don't care enough. I'm just saying that Brawl had it's fair share of problems and looking back, Brawl has pissed me off way more than Melee and Project M.

• Like 1

Agreed, the menus are way too hard to navigate... so much so in fact that I do not even bother.

• Like 1

oh how you've forgotten the brokenness of Meta Knight, the absurdity of Snake, and the completely flow charted tiers. Not to mention one of the worst game mechanics ever created; slipping. 

Well actually I love Snake. I agree he's broken as hell but since I have no interest in Smash other than playing with friends the obviously unbalanced characters have never bothered me. But yeah slipping sucked.

I can totally see where you're coming from. It seems like we have different reasons for preferring different games (though I guess you did say you don't really prefer either). For me it has nothing to do with the games themselves, the community ruins Melee for me much in the same way the community ruins LoL and CoD for me. 

I'm waiting to see what happens with Smash 4, because the community once again will pretty much decide whether or not I feel like playing this one with anyone but my friends. 

Speaking of which... When we gonna play Ciel? :P

Well actually I love Snake. I agree he's broken as hell but since I have no interest in Smash other than playing with friends the obviously unbalanced characters have never bothered me. But yeah slipping sucked.

I can totally see where you're coming from. It seems like we have different reasons for preferring different games (though I guess you did say you don't really prefer either). For me it has nothing to do with the games themselves, the community ruins Melee for me much in the same way the community ruins LoL and CoD for me. 

I'm waiting to see what happens with Smash 4, because the community once again will pretty much decide whether or not I feel like playing this one with anyone but my friends. 

Speaking of which... When we gonna play Ciel? :P

See, that's something I just have to trust you on, haha. I've never been to a legitimate Smash tournament, so like, I have no idea how those people can get...

Duck Hunt dog is OP, and I love it. I might start maining him and not Toon Link. I am also starting to enjoy the slight differences between Marth and Lucina. 

See, that's something I just have to trust you on, haha. I've never been to a legitimate Smash tournament, so like, I have no idea how those people can get...

Maybe it's because we have an abundance of whiny little brats here? I dunno. Melee players at the several tournaments I've helped run have brought up all kinds of sugar to whine about. "It has to be on a CRT TV or else the .000000000000003 second delay will ruin all my combos." "Why are you allowing X character?" "Why can't I wavedash/why are you allowing wavedashing?" It can get pretty bad. Plus there's always that one guy who shows up for the tournament without having showered in a week. It got so bad last Saturday I put out a can of AXE with a sign that said "Free to use" cause hot damn it smelled like wet garbage.

Duck Hunt dog is OP, and I love it. I might start maining him and not Toon Link. I am also starting to enjoy the slight differences between Marth and Lucina. 

I wouldn't say Duck Hunt is OP, but he is a great character! I played against Jon and Dyeknom and they both used Duck Hunt a bit. That can really changes the way you approach the character, which is something I rarely have to do for any other character. I really have to give Sakurai a thumbs up for that one.

P.S. I added you on 3DS Ciel, wanna add me back? My FC should be under my icon :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if that's due to the layout of the menu screen, but it seems less like there are things to strive for and complete other than the 35 challenges. 

Now that I finally understand what the challenges are, I've unlocked them quite a bit faster. I am on Page 3 so far, and considering this one has things like "Beat Classic Mode with Every Fighter" on it, I'm assuming it's the last. So that's 105 Challenges total. Not bad. Still, I can say that your hammers are specific to each page and you should unlock around three or four per page when you complete specific tasks.

Agreed, the menus are way too hard to navigate... so much so in fact that I do not even bother.

It's atrocious. When I was playing the Japanese version, it genuinely took me an hour of play to even realize where Classic, All Star Mode, etc even were. Buried menus make it really difficult for kids/adults who don't understand Japanese. Haha

Duck Hunt dog is OP, and I love it

. I might start maining him and not Toon Link. I am also starting to enjoy the slight differences between Marth and Lucina. 

Holy Toledo are you ever right. He's my new favorite main, as I outlined in great detail in the Spoiler Thread. :)

• Like 2

I wouldn't say Duck Hunt is OP, but he is a great character! I played against Jon and Dyeknom and they both used Duck Hunt a bit. That can really changes the way you approach the character, which is something I rarely have to do for any other character. I really have to give Sakurai a thumbs up for that one.

Only thing I've felt is OP in that game so far is the lack of time it takes to recover from blocked moves on Little Mac. It's ridiculously hard to punish him on anything. 

• Like 1

Only thing I've felt is OP in that game so far is the lack of time it takes to recover from blocked moves on Little Mac. It's ridiculously hard to punish him on anything. 

To be fair, his recover sucks. So...

@WildCardCorsair, I will add you when I turn on my 3DS next.