HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

TKtheknight

What game(s) that received little hype turned out to be great?

I'm bored out of my mind and thought of a nice discussion topic for the community. There are many great games that received little hype promoting and turned out to be awesome gems. In my mind there are plenty of games that had that. I'll start off the bat.

Valkyria Chronicles is a game that I really enjoyed and loved when I first got my PS3. I remember hearing nothing much about it and didn't get hyped or promoted enough. This was one of the best tactical games I've ever played on the PS3.

How about you? What games you've played turned out to be awesome that wasn't hyped?

• Like 1

midnight Club: LA comes to mind especially considering virtually all Rockstar games are overrated and overhyped. Lol

*insert innumerable indie games*

As far as more "mainstream" stuff, Vanquish would probably be my pick. Hadn't heard much of anything about it before and after released, but damn is that game good!

Vanquish was awesome. And don't even get me started on Singularity...I'll never forgive Activision for leaving it to die, because they screwed over Raven Software and now they're forced to work on flapping Call of Shooty. I suppose it's better than them being shuttered completely (like Bizarre Creations after Blur was left to rot) but not by much.

Anyway, besides that...I'd have to go with the Klonoa games, for one. They're fun, breezy platformers, but you never see them mentioned much when there's so many others that overshadow Klonoa. I also really enjoyed MagnaCarta 2, but never really saw anyone else ever talk about it. None of these games are amazing, I guess, but they're a lot of fun and deserve to be mentioned when talking about platformers or Xbox 360 RPGs. :D

I'm sure there's others that I'll think of when other people mention them. xD

I still need to play Valkyria Chronicles at some point. And agreed with Venom on Klonoa! It's a shame the Wii remake didn't do great numbers; would've loved to have played a remake of the sequel and more. Really hope Namco doesn't give up on that franchise.

As for the game I'm submitting to this, it'd have to be Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean. Granted, it did get coverage in Nintendo Power and such, but overall it wasn't hugely popular at the time of its release. Same goes for its sequel (actually prequel), Baten Kaitos Origins. If you're interested in seeing more of Monolith Soft's work pre-Xenoblade, definitely check them out; there's a pretty strong plot thread and narrative that ties both games together well. It's a shame that they might not revisit that world now that the Xeno-verse is pretty popular.

• Like 1

I always have my two cop out games I can throw out off the top of my head. They released around the same time and literally no one bought them or ever heard of them. 

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west-25582-wp.jp

Martial-Arts-Games-Majin-And-The-Forsake

I always have my two cop out games I can throw out off the top of my head. They released around the same time and literally no one bought them or ever heard of them. 

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

I bought and heard of both of those! xD I played through Enslaved and enjoyed it, though I didn't really like the combat. I never got around to finishing Majin though. I think the main reason I bought Majin (and maybe Enslaved) was because it was in the bargain bin pretty quickly...shame.

I bought and heard of both of those! xD I played through Enslaved and enjoyed it, though I didn't really like the combat. I never got around to finishing Majin though. I think the main reason I bought Majin (and maybe Enslaved) was because it was in the bargain bin pretty quickly...shame.

Same! Loved Enslaved. You should finally finish it. I enjoyed the characters and story and the twist as well. Good stuff. Also I, too got Majin from the bargain bin. I played it then just randomly stopped. I'll get back into it eventually.

Enslaved is fantastic and one of my favorite games ever (plus Lindsey Shaw :wub: ). Some other underappreciated  games I liked are The Darkness 1/2, and both Riddick games.

Radiant Historia is a traditional Japanese RPG that pushes the Nintendo DS well beyond its limits with a phenomenal soundtrack c/o Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts), a breath-taking art-style, and a gameplay system involving parallel universes that's reminiscent of Chrono Cross, yet superior to it in every way. 

But nobody knows it exists! Well, very few anyway. It's one of the greatest hand-held games I've ever played. Everyone should give it a shot. 

So many great games listed.  Baten KaitosEnslavedMajin, etc.  I enjoyed Radiant Historia. The game is an absolute steal at the $27 it costs right now considering they were selling upwards of $80-$120 before the first reprint.  I was pretty shocked to find out that there was enough of a calling to warrant a complete (and I believe second) reprint since it flew so far under radar.  I'd buy it again if I didn't already own it.

Speaking of hidden gems on the DS.  How about that Infinite Space?  Infinite Space, in the same manner as Valkyria Chronicles, is a SEGA title that received little fanfare from SEGA despite being far superior to the eight millionth iteration of Sonic.  Infinite Space is one of the most ambitious DS games I've played and deserves a spot in everybody's backlog.  I went into the game thinking Rogue Galaxy, but ended up being pleasantly surprised.  There are a few complex elements to the game (battles), but they're easy enough to grasp in time.  Peronally, I think Infinite Space may even be able to reel in the visual novel crowd.  Its crew recruitment, while not as in depth as dedicated visual novels, does borrow elements from the VN genre.

Unfortunately, it received such a small initial print run and failed to net a reprint so it remains pretty pricey .  You can occasionally find Cart-Only copies for ~$25, but even Gamestop has them tagged for sale at $29.99 now (as opposed to the $12.99 they asked for a year after it released).  "Complete" used copies with the original cover art and manual are significantly more pricey, fetching $60-$80.  Next time your perusing the used sections, keep an eye out for this one!

Speaking of hidden gems on the DS.  How about that Infinite Space?

Infinite Space is the one game I've been searching for for years after its release but never could find. I always try to keep an eye out for it when looking through used game sections at stores, but man is that game rare. >_<

It was also the game that taught me to pre-order or buy niche games right away in case they become hard to find, though with the rise of eShop, PSN, and XBLA over the years, it isn't something I worry much about anymore.