HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Higgins

Do you have any Shiny Pokémon? What are some of your favorite ones?

Question

Most hardcore Pokémaniacs out there know what a Shiny Pokémon is. For those of you who don't: they are super-rare, alternate-colored versions of normal Pokémon. I think the most well-known one, thanks to it being a central plot-point in the Gold, Silver and Crystal Version(s), is the Red Gyrados. In previous generations, the chances of encountering a Wild Shiny Pokémon were about 1/8192, but various methods and items in future generations have decreased that encounter-rate over time. The most recent changes have been in Generation VI (Pokémon X&Y). I want to say the encounter rate itself has been altered, in addition to even more tricks being added to increase your chances. 

There are far better authorities out there than me, but as someone who has collected over twenty unique species of Shiny Pokémon since the Gameboy Advance games, including the Shiny Ho-Oh that almost gave me a heart-attack when it appeared in my copy of SoulSilver--I consider myself at least able to give helpful tips and advice. If you all are keen for it, I might turn this thread into a sort of Shiny Hunter Compendium.

Anyone out there as lucky as me? Do you have any Shiny Pokémon? Just figured I would give Shiny Hunters like me (whether dedicated or just beginning) a place to share tips, advice, and awesome finds. 

13 answers to this question

I don't really have any shinies in X/Y, since I haven't transferred any Pokemanz over yet. I only have one for Petilil (and I think Lilligant's shiny looks cool, but... I gotta level her up, but that requires playing past the 2nd gym).

I've only found one...a shiny Dunsparce. :(

Hey, if you still have it and they (finally) give Dunsparce a (Mega) Evolution, that sadface might turn into a happy one!

I don't really have any shinies in X/Y, since I haven't transferred any Pokemanz over yet. I only have one for Petilil (and I think Lilligant's shiny looks cool, but... I gotta level her up, but that requires playing past the 2nd gym).

I found a Shiny Petilil in my friend's Friend Safari--as well as two Shiny Quiladins. o_o I have absolutely incredible luck/vigilance when it comes to Friend Safari Pokémon, haha. I've gone nuts with it from time to time. <_<

I had a shiny Slugma in Pokemon Diamond. But I lost my copy of the game. :(

I don't think I came across any shinies during my entire playthrough of X/Y, which is crazy. Maybe I'm forgetting something though, I'd have to check back on it. :o

The only shiny I've ever encountered was a Shiny Ponyta in HeartGold while I was grinding for Red.  I caught that sucker and evolved it, because a Shiny Rapidash looks AWESOME.

But, other people have given me shinys as gifts back when I was active in a Pokemon trading forum, for helping them mass transfer Pokemon between versions and stuff.  I also have a Shiny Glaceon ( <3), Lucario, Bidoof ( :doge: ), and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.

EDIT: Of course, then there's the Shiny Legendaries given away for events, like the Dog Trio and the Palkia/Dialga/Giratina, but those 'don't count', in my opinion ;D

I don't think I came across any shinies during my entire playthrough of X/Y, which is crazy. Maybe I'm forgetting something though, I'd have to check back on it.  :o

If you have any friends with fully completed Safaris (e.g. they have the third Pokémon slot filled because they've completed the game), just wander around aimlessly in the Safari while you're doing something like watching a movie or binging on a TV series. Guaranteed after a few hours (at the absolute most!), you'll find one.

The only shiny I've ever encountered was a Shiny Ponyta in HeartGold while I was grinding for Red.  I caught that sucker and evolved it, because a Shiny Rapidash looks AWESOME.

But, other people have given me shinys as gifts back when I was active in a Pokemon trading forum, for helping them mass transfer Pokemon between versions and stuff.  I also have a Shiny Glaceon ( <3), Lucario, Bidoof ( :doge: ), and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.

EDIT: Of course, then there's the Shiny Legendaries given away for events, like the Dog Trio and the Palkia/Dialga/Giratina, but those 'don't count', in my opinion ;D

- Damn right Rapidash looks awesome when it's shiny! I also dig shiny Talonflame and Braviary--two elusive birds I've not yet obtained, but will one day, thanks to them being in some of my friends' safaris. 

- I caught a shiny Eevee! :) Not sure what I'll evolve it into yet. It's Modest and has its HA. Debating between a Magic Bounce Espeon and a Hydration Vaporeon, but I might not raise it until ORAS time so I can see what the various move-tutors are.

- Your opinion and mine are the same. Makes me so mad I have a Shiny Metagross of my own...because soon EVERYONE (who preorders ORAS) will have one too. :P

Well now I have a Shiny Gengar! Muahaha.

• Like 1

Well now I have a Shiny Gengar! Muahaha.

As do I, actually. I got my preferred nature for it on the first try, too. 

Yo, dawgs. Any of you not-as-lucky shiny folks want a guide to the various methods out there? I've totally mastered Chain Fishing & I've gotten a pretty good hold on how Friend Safari Shiny Hunting works, too.

Just say the word. :)

The Friend Safari method would be pretty nice, actually, although I'll probably be too lazy to actually implement it myself... I just like looking at the different ways to get them if I ever bother~

• Like 1

The Friend Safari method would be pretty nice...

Sorry for my delay! Since I“m finally able to respond to gaiages“ request, here“s a brief little thing I“m gonna call Shiny Hunting in Friend Safaris: A Primer

It“s no secret that finding these super-rare Pokémon has become easier in Pokémon X&Y. While Friend Safaris (found in Kiloude City, detailed information here) don“t have a guaranteed, fixed success rate like Chain Fishing, they“re certainly where I“ve caught the most Shiny Pokémon in my collection, including several starters (like Quilladin) and highly sought out rarities (like the Eevee I caught recently).

There“s more than one Pokémaniac out there trying to detail how Shiny Encounters in Friend Safaris work. To be honest, there isn“t really a set thing to follow. There“s a lot people are unsure of, even with the vast amount of data various hackers have gained access to since the game“s global release. However, in all my research (and trust me; I“ve become pretty obsessed) this has been the best source I can find. There“s dedication, there“s extreme dedication, then there“s...that guy. :)

To quickly summarize his findings:

• The shiny rate in the Friend Safari is likely to be 1/512, compared to the game“s normal shiny rate of 1/4096. That“s a significantly higher chance, which is why some spend so long in Safaris.

• Whether you run from battles or make the Wild Pokémon faint does not matter.

• The Shiny Charm (an item you receive after completing the National Pokédex) almost definitely does not affect the shiny rate within Friend Safaris.

• Which Friend Safari you choose does not affect the shiny rate.

• Being online (especially if the friend whose Safari you“re in is also online) may or may not affect the shiny rate.

I can back up all of his findings, especially in the case of the Shiny Charm. I“ve got one, since I have all 718 currently available species of Pokémon. And it definitely does not seem to affect my chances in the Safaris.

A few things in general:

- I“ve found being online (even if the friend whose Safari I“m in is not online) increases my chances of encountering the rarer third Pokémon--which means if my friend“s Safari has a Fletchling as its third slot, and I really want a shiny one--I should probably be online when I go to mess around in that Friend Safari.

- I have no way to test this, but I've encountered at least three of my Shiny Friend Safari Pokémon during what I'm calling a "First Encounter". Example: I noticed my friend Joe had completed the Elite 4 and unlocked his third Pokémon Slot. When I went in to go see what it was--it was Quiladin. And it was shiny. Encountering a shiny Pokémon right away got me thinking: Would saving your game in a Friend Safari, then turning off your system and restarting guarantee a shiny upon your first encounter? Unfortunately, there is no guarantee. But I have caught three Pokémon by saving in the safari, then resetting, then initiating a battle. So far it's only been in Joe's Safari too, which is weird--and speaks to the fact that there is so much we don't know about Friend Safaris. 

- Shiny Hunting is pretty much the best time ever to like, binge watch a show on Netflix or do something else with your time. It“s super tedious, but it only requires half your attention. The gleam for a Shiny Pokémon may not be as pronounced as its been in games past, but it“s certainly noticeable.

- Do you want more Leftovers (the item that restores some health after every turn if it“s held by a Pokémon in battle)? Do you have a Pokémon that“s Lv100 with the Pickup ability? Bring it, and just start pulverizing every Wild Pokémon you run into in the Safari. You could grab a Leftovers while you“re Shiny Hunting and kill two birds with one stone, as I have.

There ya go! I hope that helps. Happy hunting, folks.

• Like 1

OH NO, I just found out you can use the DexNav app to chain for Shiny Pokémon, similar to how the Pokéradar works in other games (Diamond & Pearl, where it was introduced, is the best example). Goodbye, any chance I have at life outside this series. :(

• Like 1

Thank you for all the information!