HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Venom

Win Abyss Odyssey for Steam! [ended]

Abyss Odyssey is a pretty fun game... and it has 2-player co-op!  You Podunkers should get in on that shiz <3

Well, I was actually interested in this game AND I'm eligible :D

As to the actual entry... SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM! And all for various reasons.

So I'll throw out a couple because why not :)

Trusty Bell just really blew me away with it's visuals early on in the generation. It still holds up pretty well IMO.

Cg0uuyE.jpg

Valkyria Chronicles had a beautiful hand-drawn, anime-esque visual style coupled with some fantastic gameplay. Another classic!valkyria_chronicles_game-wallpaper-1920x

You all knew this was coming, Fatal Frame has one of the best art directions I've seen in a horror game, topped only by the second game pictured here; Rule of Rose. Both these games rely heavily on ambiance for the scares AND IT WORKS.

2582193-zero_wallpaper1_19201200.jpg

rule-of-rose-red-crayon-aristocrats.jpg

Alright, last one I PROMISE. Mirrors Edge has a clean yet colourful style that continues to drop jaws years after release. I can't wait to see what they do with ME2.

iTQofq1P2rUO4.png

mirrorsedge2013-01-08drjoy.png

I could go on for hours but I don't want to drag this on TOO much. 

• Like 2

I'm going to have to toss my name into the mix as well. (This game looks pretty dern sweet.)

To go with one of many games that have an art style I like, I'll have to go with Child of Light.

2495258-monastry_vitraux_02.jpg

The colors are vibrant, and the fact that they went with a watercolor style makes the game looks so beautiful. 

• Like 1

Bioshock

Just the art style itself is beautiful. The whole game (once i turned on the brightness) was incredible.

Bioshock-atmosphere.jpg

• Like 2

Great choices so far. :D Keep 'em coming!

Also, I should note, you don't all have to pick different games, if you're worried someone has already said what you were gonna say and you can't think of anything else.

• Like 1

Great choices so far. :D Keep 'em coming!

Also, I should note, you don't all have to pick different games, if you're worried someone has already said what you were gonna say and you can't think of anything else.

Especially since I said a bunch haha

To be fair there are hundreds of good choices out there so get to it guys! :D

• Like 1

9iSgil5.jpg

Catherine:

While the art in question may not be unique per se, it does indeed accompany and even augment the game's central narrative perfectly. It plays upon--and even alters itself in instances--both the dynamism and folly of contemporary relationships .This in itself is merit enough, I think, to be regarded as some pretty gosh darn good artwork. Or I've just had too much to drink and want to talk about one of my all-time favorite games. Also you spend a lot of the game drinking. So...

• Like 2

I can't rightly do a giveaway with only four entries, can I? I removed the post count rule, so anyone is free to enter. Of course, you might have the odds stacked against you just a bit out of spite because I'm granting you a late opening, but you're still welcome to take a shot. Just make sure you've read the first post carefully and made that welcome thread. ;)

• Like 1

Alrighty Venom you need more people to enter so here I am bro. My choice of game that is artsy and fascinating is Journey.

It isn't about the art, but the art of movement from one area to another. You find your way and flow like a brush painting a beautiful picture. I find this game fascinating and unique because you play the game and realize you're on your own or with a traveler. Half the game I played alone and half with a random companion of someone I don't even know until you see the credits at the end. The art of journey through different phases from darkness, cold, hot, etc. It's all wonderful. I dunno what I'm saying, but the journey from beginning to end is a good one. It feels great when you reach that final spot.

• Like 2

I just now realized I said 12:00 AM on Saturday, which would have been an hour and a half ago, which wasn't what I meant. I meant you had until 12:00 AM on SUNDAY (so I really should have said 11:59 PM Saturday) so...that means you've got the rest of the day, until 11:59 PM tonight, Saturday, to enter. xD

A game called Morphopolis, which I know very little about, has an interesting art style. The colors are mostly vibrant and there's a lot of detail given to the setting, which seems to be some sort of forest.....I think.

ss_a7e9b215c4d65b53a539a8e35026a12aacbb6

It looks pretty neat in my opinion. I'd like to get it some day.

Although I'm not a fan of the game, I think FEZ definitely has a noteworthy art style:

fez_screenshot_1.jpg?w=1000&h=562

Every area actually has four separate "sides" that you can rotate around to use to solve puzzles. The pixel art isn't necessarily amazing, but it's decent, and includes a lot of pleasant colors and moods. Personally, I think it looks pretty cool.

They were already mentioned, but Catherine and Child of Light also came to mind. Lovely art direction in both of those games! :D

Thanks for the contest Venom!

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot this one game I played fairly recently! It's a game called "They Breathe", and it has a fairly simple but oddly spooky art style. I can't really go into details because it actually relates to the plot of the game (*gasp*), but I highly recommend anyone to go check it out. It takes place in an underwater forest, so I can show a screenshot of that at least because it doesn't spoil anything.

ss_5abd75816426d19830a31f4d074dae0f80ace

• Like 2

I stuck your names in a randomizer, and it spit out the chosen one. And the winner is...

[insert drumroll here]

DarkCobra86! Congratulations! I'll be sending it to you through Steam in a bit, since I already have you on my friends list. ^_^

Thanks for entering everyone! And as a special thanks, I believe I promised consolation prizes? That sounds like something I'd do. So, for the rest of you who entered, feel free to ask for one game from this here following list!

Games for not-winners:

The Few

The Maker's Eden

8BitBoy

Jets 'n' Guns Gold

Victim of Xen

Strata

Major Mayhem

Power-Up

Puddle

To the Moon

Dead Effect

Hero of the Kingdom

Rover Rescue

So if you didn't win, just let me know if one of those games take your fancy and I'll send it to ya! And be sure to join me next time for another exciting giveaway, same GP time, same GP channel!

• Like 1

Congratulations to Cobra! Woo! Thanks for the contest, Venom! :D

Congrats Cobra! Have fun! :D

If possible, may I please have Gauge? It seems pretty neat. ^_^

Thanks a lot Venom!

GoodJob_zps615cd583.jpg

Congrats, DarkCobra! Enjoy Abyss Odyssey!

Could I ask for To The Moon?

Thank you guys and thank you Venmon for sponsoring this giveaway :D