HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Venom

Win Valkyria Chronicles on Steam!

Valkyria Chronicles is my first and only SJRPG. It's also my favorite no surprise there. When I first bought my PS3, I was new to the family looking for games to play. I keep hearing about VC, but didn't look much into it. I've never played much of the strategy genre, but it fascinated me. One day going to Gamestop I saw a copy of VC and it was really tempting to get it. I actually picked it up part of a buy 1 or 2 get one free used. The moment I put the game in, I was pretty damn excited. Learning the tutorials and controls. I found it pretty boring at first because I never played the genre. As I continued to play more, the characters and story is what kept me going. Besides that, I started to love the gameplay keeping my characters alive and upgrading many things.

Of course later on I eventually beat it and hoped there were sequels. VC2 came out on the PSP, but never played that one. I never seen the anime either. VC is one of the most underrated games I've ever played and glad to make its port over to the PC. This is the only SJRPG game I've played in the genre.

Also anyone have any recommendations of games like VC? Thanks for reading and thanks Venom for this wonderful contest. Good luck to all and you'll definitely love the game. Wonder how the PC port will be better.

• Like 2

It would probably be Jagged Alliance 2, which is strategy, tactical, and RPG all in one. More than a decade old, but still the best there is.

Where to begin? There's the deep, complex tactical mechanics. Best example is stealth, which is based on line of sight, visibility, concealment/camouflage, and also sound. Every movement and action produces noise which can be heard in a radius around the squad member, and is affected by the squad member's stealth skill. This is as deep as the stealth-focused games like MGS.

And then there's the non-linearity of the game. On the strategic layer, the player decides where to move his squad, whether to explore and scavenge, capture more territory, or train militia to defend captured territory. You prioritize between holding strategic points like airfields and missile sites, or defending towns that provide resources. You can split your squad, simultaneously attack from different sides etc. This extends to the tactical layer where all the maps are open areas that the player decides how to navigate. If an area is fenced, you can cut through the wire and sneak in the back. Or you can climb onto buildings and snipe at guards. Progress isn't linear either. The enemy can and will recapture their territory, especially in the 1.13 mod which renables a counterattack that was programmed but disabled in the official game.

Basically, there's nothing like this being made anymore.

• Like 3

A couple of great entries already, though I will say for future reference you don't have to be that thorough with the "why" part. Unless you just want to. :P

Lazy response: Final Fantasy Tactics and because it's Tactics, yo

Proper response: While there are a lot I like, I have to go with Final Fantasy Tactics. The story and characters are likable. And the graphics are so beautiful. 

• Like 1

Do RTS's count for this?

If not, Kiwi will just say that Super Robot Wars OG2 is his favorite SRPG (for the sake of the entry). Kiwi played some SRPGs and one of his favorite parts of the genre is the attack animations. Kiwi just loves giving an order and then watching a dude carry it out in the form of smacking someone with a sword, shooting a gun, or whatever half the stuff you do in Disgaea is. The first Original Generations was already better then the other things Kiwi mentioned due to giant robots and their silly attacks, but the sequel went beyond even that. The game play was great, the units were done well enough that it was actually hard to decide which ones Kiwi was going to bring, and the story was actually engaging to the point where Kiwi actually cared what was going on. The original was a good game in and of itself, but OG2 went way beyond it.

• Like 1

Do RTS's count for this?

Yep. The question is what's your favorite strategy (RTS, turn-based, whatever) or RPG (any kind) game, it doesn't have to fall under both. ^_^

Oh my gosh I am so on this! I have never actually played Valkyria Chronicles--despite giving it out as a prize myself! 

fire-emblem-tharja-nowi-ingles-1.jpg

My favorite SRPG is easily Fire Emblem Awakening. I have sunk so many hours into the game. What I find most compelling about the FE series in general is the perma-death system, but Awakening has so many different little nuances that augment the system and keep me coming back to it--namely, the relationships that one can build, and there are plenty. Maybe I am just weird, but I have yet to grow tired of of the chatter between characters and watching those relationships develop. It is incredibly heartbreaking when they die. I also like to play matchmaker with those characters... and myself! I had a blog at some point that kept track of all my fallen comrades. I can no longer find it (maybe I deleted it?), which is probably a good things... how depressing. I'm tired, so I have no idea if this is coherent, I could also go on for days about this and other aspects of the game... which I won't.

*crosses fingers*

• Like 1

I'm a pretty big fan of strategy games, so to pick a singular one is difficult. It's pretty much a toss up between Civilization and Age of Empires............. both games have incredibly fun gameplay that you can sink hours upon hours into and pretty much NEVER get old. 

Thanks for the contest Venom, you da man!

• Like 1

Oh my gosh I am so on this! I have never actually played Valkyria Chronicles--despite giving it out as a prize myself!

You giving it out is the only reason I even have it. xD I don't play my PS3 as much as I used to though so I still haven't even started it. I'll probably end up buying myself a Steam copy as well, lol.

I play way more RPG's than I play SRPG's, so, I'll say my two favorites in both genres.

Starting off with RPG, the one that is easily my favorite is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I had played some Bioware games before this one, but KOTOR was the game that turned me into a fan of Bioware. I love Star Wars and this game was perfect, good characters, good gameplay and a fantastic feel of immersion in the world. But what really sold me on this game was the story, I still get a feeling of awe every time I think about the big revelation of the game, it made the game feel perfect for me.

As for SRPG's, this last summer I tried a game called XCOM: Enemy Unknown and I feel in love with it. The freedom of choice, the number of choices, the gameplay and the satisfaction when things go according to plan. It's definitely a game I could see myself playing again and again from time to time because it always brings something new because you always want to try and do things differently. And of course, the emotional attachment you get to the characters (although this is a common thing in all the SRPG's I've played), it can make you cry and despair when things go sour.

Thanks for having this contest, this is really cool of you!

• Like 1

Ooh awesome! I've always wanted to play VC! :D

My favorite strategy game is probably Age of Empires II, Age of Mythology, or the Civilization games. All of them are mostly simple to play and understand, but extremely fun and addicting. I could play all of them for hours and hours. ^_^

My favorite SRPG is probably......Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (haven't played the regular FFT unfortunately) or Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I haven't played many SRPGs, but I would really like to eventually. Oh, another favorite of mine is Disgaea 3 (the only one I've played). :)

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

It'll have to be FF7 for me. This was the reason why I even got into RPG or liked it so much. Ever since FF7 I have always tried to play all the other FF games. Something about that game. Looking back  the game do have flaws. But something about the graphics at the time and becoming a Cloud fanboy and just the whole story I thought was really well done. So I will always refer back to FF7 as the RPG game for me.

• Like 1

Oh man oh man oh man! I've been dying to play this for years but for whatever reason never picked it up.

Anyway, to make a proper entry, it's pretty hard for me to pick a favorite - anything - but my list of preferred strategy games would probably be pretty short given my relative newness to the genre. XCOM Enemy Unknown is then a pretty easy choice, given it's a brilliant game in its own right, and the game that got me interested in strategy games at all.

It's fantastically well balanced, deep yet accessible (which is far more than I can say of the impenetrable original), emotionally taxing despite the lack of a deep narrative, and so so rewarding. It's easily one of the most mechanically refined games I've played in the last decade or so, and even after several dozen hours with it I'm continuing to find new strategies and ways to play that make it such an engrossing experience. Props to Fireaxis for making a game I never would have expected to like, yet alone fall in love with to the degree I have.

• Like 1

I just got an e-mail with the key for the game, but I suppose I'll keep this open until when I said I would to give the stragglers a chance. ;)

I have been meaning to play this for a while, maybe this is my perfect chance! There's a lot of games on my list to play though, hmm. Anyway, proper entry and such.

Disgaea? Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? See, I haven't played all too many SRPG's, but I have played a few that I really liked. JRPG's though, oh boy. Those are some of my favorite genres. Star Ocean Till the End of Time is up there, as well as the Dot Hack series. They're so much fun that I've played them so many times over. Tales of Symphonia is up there too, Vespia for good measure. I could probably go on and on about my favorite games for a long while, but if I had to just pick one I'd probably still go with Star Ocean Till the End of Time. While it may not be an SRPG, it was my first exposure to active combat games like that. Prior it was only turn based like FFX and such. The way the active combat combined with an almost combo system made it incredible to play, the story was fantastic in my opinion and led perfectly into Star Ocean the Last Hope, and the Battle Trophies offered a nice little incentive and challenge for a lot of the game. Even offering a multiplayer mode for one on one combat with friends, it was something I couldn't believe existed in a JRPG. So yeah, fun times~

• Like 1

Just for giggles this is how I picture Roy if he wins.

Roy: Sweet I won Valkyria Chronicles! Time to finally play this game.
~Goes on steam redeems the game~
Roy: Aw yeah!
~Excitement ensues. Downloading and smiles~
~Goes on GP to surf while downloading~
~After a while it finishes and gets ready~
Roy: Eh I don't feel like playing this game. I'm gonna play Street Fighter or Realm Reborn again. Sorry VC you're stuck in the backlog.
~Plays Street Fighter or Realm Reborn and smiles with happiness~

The End.

• Like 2

I have always wanted to play this but never got it with so many other games to play.

One of my all time favorite tactical RPG's and my first was Front mission 4 on the PS2. Front Mission had a really cool war story with mechs and switched between two teams on both sides of the war it was lots of fun and had epic battles like giant bosses.

HE86OLQ.jpg

• Like 1

I remember when Venom won this game from me. Good times, good times.

I remember when Venom won this game from me. Good times, good times.

So you're saying I should return the favor and let you win it from me? :P

So you're saying I should return the favor and let you win it from me? :P

Yes. 

Demotivational.Poster.full.822503.jpg

It's only fair! ;D

Seems like it would be more fair to just not let anyone win a copy so no one's a not-winner. :D

Anyway, all you potential winners will find out who's a not-winner tomorrow, but anyone who hasn't entered still has until midnight tonight. ^_^

• Like 1

Congrats TK! :D

• Like 1