HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

Has 2014 been a disappointing year for AAA games?

Going to steal a cue from NeoGAF here, but I thought the question was a really good one: has 2014 been a disappointing year for AAA titles?

Of course, 2014 has been pretty good for indie games, niche titles, RPGs, and Nintendo titles (for the most part), but if you look back, there have been a number of big titles that ultimately ended up falling short (or WAY short in some cases),

To quote the NeoGAF post again, here's what the OP came up with-

Disappointing New IPs

Watch_Dogs
Destiny

Buggy Messes

Assassin's Creed Unity
Halo MCC
GTA Online
Driveclub

Meh Sequels:

COD Advanced Warfare
Infamous Second Son

Huge Games Delayed Into 2015 (I added this bit)

The Order 1886

Batman Arkham Knight

Evolve

Battlefield: Hardline

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Quantum Break

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Personally, I'd have to agree on some level that 2014 was a little bit of a let down in terms of releases overall, though again, there were some great releases in specific areas. What do you guys think?

I guess it depends on how you want to word AAA, but I think the general tone is there, especially since people can't cling to a The Last of Us or GTA5 this year (well, you can, but not earnestly with re-releases). I don't know if Shadow of Mordor is technically AAA but that game was received very positively (and it was basically this year's replacement for Batman and Assassin's Creed, I hear). Dragon Age: Inquisition was very well received also.

But yeah, sure. I think Destiny was a big sting for a lot of people for this year in particular (I thought that game was boring/shallow in the Beta, but everyone was like "NAH, BUNGIE" and then everyone realized the Beta was like the actual game.). Same deal with Watch Dogs, which everyone thought would be the technical showcase in particular.

That said, if we include Nintendo stuff, we technically got quite a few heavy hitters with Super Smash, Mario Kart 8, and Bayonetta 2. But yeah, I think the problem is that this year had a lot of delays and the many of the games released didn't catch on like previous games for multiple reasons (either because they were broken, fatigue, more of the same, or just weren't as good as earlier games.). I don't really gravitate towards AAA games (mainly because I feel like most of them play like Batman or COD, also I play weeaboo games), so I'M not disappointed, but I bet a lot of people are.

Also, hey. Hey, guys. Anybody remember Elder Scrolls Online? Didn't think so.

• Like 1

Mario Kart 8, Smash (both versions), and Shadow of Mordor...nope, not disappointed.

Of course Botched Dogs and some of those others were a waste of time, but I did like Second Son and a handful of other games, so I couldn't say that I was short on great AAA games this year. Obviously it was a fantastic year for indies and they kinda took the spotlight several times, but there was usually always a good big budget title or two to pick up each month.

Plenty of AAA games that didn't suck! Like people have said, Shadow of Mordor, Mario Kart, Smash, Wolfenstein, Diablo 3, Dragon Age, Evil Within...

Second Son was pretty decent in my books, nothing special but a pretty solid game overall.

HEY GUYS REMEMBER TITANFALL? REMEMBER ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE? REMEMBER MURDERED SOUL SUSPECT? RIP.

• Like 1

HEY GUYS REMEMBER TITANFALL? REMEMBER ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE? REMEMBER MURDERED SOUL SUSPECT? RIP.

The hardest murder to solve is your own...when you get killed at retail.

• Like 1

Plenty of AAA games that didn't suck! Like people have said, Shadow of Mordor, Mario Kart, Smash, Wolfenstein, Diablo 3, Dragon Age, Evil Within...

Second Son was pretty decent in my books, nothing special but a pretty solid game overall.

I was trying to remember Wolfenstein. But yeah, people were super positive on that too. Alien Isolation and P.T. as well for survival horror fans. Really, I think the question is are the people complaining playing games beyond their (possibly open-world/FPS) comfort zone or making educated guesses on the games they choose to play (Maybe waiting, I dunno, a few days to learn if the game is good or broken). There are plenty of good games to work with this year, and I'd say it was far more varied this year than last year for that reason.

I feel like it was a pretty average year for AAA titles. The massive letdown for me was Destiny. I wasn't going to buy an Xbox One just to play Halo so had the feeling that Destiny would fill a void and eliminate any possibility of going down the Microsoft road.

Now, I feel like if I find myself with extra cash one day, it's always possible I could leave a store with an Xbox One and The Master Chief Collection (buggy may still be better than Destiny) in a bag. Titanfall is a pretty good example as well. Had that been great, I may already have an Xbone. Some of my greatest multiplayer memories were on the original Xbox with Mech Assault. I'm still waiting for a multiplayer mech game that captures the same feeling.

Mario Kart has gotten plenty of use in our house and despite mixed reviews, I enjoy this year's Madden more than any from the past and I've been playing Madden since the Genesis.

I'd even put Madden 15 up against this title which I keep for a reason:

0afa0aa9b0f3790ab62d6731a3eeedd6_zps43f3

Yea, I don't think it was a terrible year. Sure a lot of the examples you posted did not lived up to the hype as well. Probably the biggest one to come up would be Destiny. But we always have other titles that did well. But generally I don't even think of AAA titles doing well. I just think each year you will have some bad and some good ones. Just got to pay attention and spend your money wisely.

It was also the first year of the generation. I would say we got pretty high quality stuff for the first year of these consoles. My biggest complaint would be that there weren't enough new IPs this year. 

Destiny was my only major letdown. I actually just sold it on Craigslist for $40. I would just be disappointed every time I played. Figure I'll pick up some on Black Friday. Maybe Evil Within?

• Like 1

Also I had a lot of fun playing (and subsequently almost beating) Sunset Overdrive in the free day I was able to play it, pretty solid title with overall a lot to do in it

Also I had a lot of fun playing (and subsequently almost beating) Sunset Overdrive in the free day I was able to play it, pretty solid title with overall a lot to do in it

Would you say it's Insomniac's best title to date?

It was also the first year of the generation. I would say we got pretty high quality stuff for the first year of these consoles. My biggest complaint would be that there weren't enough new IPs this year. 

Destiny was my only major letdown. I actually just sold it on Craigslist for $40. I would just be disappointed every time I played. Figure I'll pick up some on Black Friday. Maybe Evil Within?

I have my eye on The Evil Within and Alien Isolation. It's a shame but we don't get many survival horror options today. I'd agree that it wasn't a bad first year. By the third year, we'll be looking at a lot of must have gamesxand will be complaining about having too many options to choose from.

Would you say it's Insomniac's best title to date?

Not at all, very fun but if you're pulling that card, other Insomniac titles are going to beat it

Not at all, very fun but if you're pulling that card, other Insomniac titles are going to beat it

A better question might be, is the premise good enough that if they fix the issues could a sequel be the best Insomniac title ever?

What I don't get is how was Insomniac able to put out both Second Son and Sunset Overdrive in the same year? I thought they only had two development teams (unless I'm mistaken)? One is the team that works on InFamous games and the other is the Ratchet team, so did they invest in the InFamous team and split them into two for Sunset Overdrive? :o

What I don't get is how was Insomniac able to put out both Second Son and Sunset Overdrive in the same year? I thought they only had two development teams (unless I'm mistaken)? One is the team that works on InFamous games and the other is the Ratchet team, so did they invest in the InFamous team and split them into two for Sunset Overdrive? :o

Infamous is Sucker Punch, dawg. :P

Infamous is Sucker Punch, dawg. :P

35932-0-losdoh-de-homero-en-las-20-tempo

I don't know why, but I always think InFamous is done by Insomniac and end up forgetting about Sucker Punch, lol.

35932-0-losdoh-de-homero-en-las-20-tempo

I don't know why, but I always think InFamous is done by Insomniac and end up forgetting about Sucker Punch, lol.

Because Ratchet and Clank versus Sly Cooper maybe?

I feel it's been a pretty good year honestly.

We got a lot of surprise hits like Wolfenstein, Sunset Overdrive and Shadow of Modor, what I've heard is a great reinvigorating of a tired series in Advanced Warfare, heavily flawed but at the very least uncommon horror games with Alien: Isolation and Evil Within, tons of awesome Nintendo games, Dragon Age apparently rocks, Titanfall is supposedly a great game that sadly didn't have legs, some notable remasterings for people that missed them the first time around, Second Son sounds at the least more of a good thing, South Park by all accounts I've heard is fantastic, Ground Zeroes was a brief but brilliant teaser for The Phantom Pain, Burial at Sea and Reaper of Souls were incredible dlc/expansions to great games from last year, Ubisoft released some great smaller games with Child of Light and Valiant Hearts, Forza Horizon 2 was a great racing game, Civilization Beyond Earth sounds like a brilliant new take on the series, and Fez came out again.

Wow, that was a long sentence. Sure there have been a lot of high profile screw ups, but I feel people are too quick to use them to say the year on the whole has been a failure. It might not have been the games we expected to be great that were, but that doesn't make them any less noteworthy.

• Like 1