HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

The Amiibo Thread - How Rare, Where to Get, etc.

Note: For recent updates, see the bottom of this post.

With all that has happened over the weekend about certain Amiibos becoming rare, I thought it would be a good idea to put all this information together in one spot.

Here you can find a list of Amiibos (currently out and upcoming), how rare they are, and what stores they're exclusive to (if any).

There are some that are conclusively rare while others are guesses, but now that Nintendo has confirmed that some characters will only sell through their first shipment, it's safe to say that any lesser-known characters (such as any that aren't from the Mario, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, or Zelda franchises, and probably Kirby) will likely have only shipment or so.

Amiibo                                       Exclusive?                               Availability

Mario                                           No                                              Common

Donkey Kong                              No                                               Common

Pikachu                                       No                                               Common

Kirby                                           No                                               Common

Yoshi                                           No                                               Common

Link                                             No                                               Common

Peach                                          No                                              Common

Samus                                         No                                              Uncommon (no longer produced?)

Fox                                              No                                              Rare (no longer produced)

Villager                                        No                                              Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Marth                                           No                                              Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Wii Fit Trainer                              No                                              Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Wave 2

Captain Falcon                            No                                              Rare (no longer produced)

Pit                                                No                                              Rare (no longer produced)

Little Mac                                     No                                              Rare (no longer produced)

Zelda                                           No                                              Common

Luigi                                            No                                              Common

Diddy Kong                                 No                                              Common

Wave 3

Lucario                                       Toys'R'Us                                  Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Rosalina and Luma                    Target                                       Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Bowser                                        No                                             Common

Toon Link                                    No                                             Common/Uncommon-ish

Sheik                                           No                                             Uncommon?

Ike                                               No                                             Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Meta Knight                                Best Buy                                   Sold out (Extremely Rare)

King Dedede                               No                                             Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Shulk                                          GameStop                                Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Sonic                                           No                                             Uncommon?

Mega Man                                   No                                             Uncommon?

Super Mario Wave 1

Mario                                          No                                    Common

Luigi                                           No                                    Common

Peach                                        No                                     Common

Bowser                                       No                                    Common

Yoshi                                          No                                    Common

Toad                                           No                                    Uncommon?

Wave 4

Releasing in two parts; Part 1 releases April 29, 2015, while Part 2 releases May 29th.

Charizard                                   No                                            Possibly uncommon?

Robin                                         No                                            Rare

Lucina                                        No                                            Rare

Pac-Man                                    No                                            Possibly uncommon?

Ness                                          GameStop                               Sold out (Extremely Rare)

Wario                                         No                                            Possibly common

Jigglypuff                                   Target                                      Rare

Greninja                                    Toys 'R' Us                               Rare

The rule of thumb is, if you're interested in any of the ones that are projected to be rare, be sure to pre-order them just to be safe.

Recent Updates

2/1/15 - Updated availability on several Amiibo. Toad now considered uncommon/rare for the meantime.

1/16/15 - Updated the list with Super Mario Wave 1 and Smash Wave 4. Also updated availability for some Wave 2 Amiibo.

12/27/14 - Updated Luigi, Zelda, and Diddy to "Common"

12/13/14 - Fox/Samus's status updated as "Uncommon"

12/12/14 - Toys'R'Us is having a B1G1 40% off sale on Amiibos, including Lucario

12/11/14 - DK, Fox, and Samus are the next three that are rumored to be phased out

12/10/14 - Wave 2 is said to be split into two shipments; the first seems to have already arrived.

12/10/14 - Wave 2 confirmed to be in stores already

12/8/14 - Villager and Marth are no longer on Walmart's website

12/8/14 - Lucario and King Dedede are currently sold out on Toys'R'Us site

Edited by Jason Clement
  • Like 1

Ooo, great resource, really.  With all the news flying about it's really been hard to keep track of everything.

Well, I guess it is time to search for rare ones.

If anyone here is serious about collecting and perhaps selling later because the Amiibo might have value due to being limited, definitely consider pre-ordering Shulk, Ike, and Mega Man (especially the former and the latter). I'm not sure how limited Mega Man will be, but Ike should have the same scarceness that Marth had (due to being a Fire Emblem character), and after the initial shipment, I suspect GameStop will try to artificially raise the price by selling Shulk figures as used or whatnot.

How many characters are missing? I really just want Lucina, but do not see her.

How many characters are missing? I really just want Lucina, but do not see her.

I think they confirmed Lucina is coming in June 2015.

I think they confirmed Lucina is coming in June 2015.

If true, this is a glorious birthday gift, Nintendo.  I gladly accept it.

Only ones I want are Marth and Lucina. :( No stores near here have Marth.

Ugh, some of these are already showing unavailable on Gamestop's website, which either means they've already sold through what they're getting or just haven't opened pre-orders yet, which would be weird.

I kinda want Little Mac (I'd want Captain Falcon if it wasn't for his peg-leg-holder) but I'm not sure if I'll grab him or not, despite knowing I may only have one chance.

Wouldn't you know it, there's more info about.

First off, there's a rumor that the DK, Samus, and Fox Amiibos are going to be discontinued.  I find this a little weird, but also plausible, as from the Wave 1 group those are probably the least popular/well-known characters next to the already supposedly discontinued Marth, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer.  These rumors could very well be false, but if you're interested in those you might want to pick one up for safety's sake.

Secondly, a report from Polygon that just came out says that Nintendo may not be discontinuing the figures, after all.  To paraphrase, they essentially said "they may be sold out now, but can always come back at a later stage".  So, kinda like how games get a limited print run and sell through super quick, and the company makes a second print run to satisfy demands.  Y'know, like how Fire Emblem: Awakening was, or the bazillion times NIS decided to reprint the original Disgaea for the PS2.  The report's only a couple hours old, so this is probably the latest news involving the scarcity issue right now.  Link: [x]

• Like 1

Yeah, was going to post about that rumor about Donkey Kong, Fox, and Samus being discontinued, but not sure if it was genuine just yet. Still, better to exercise caution if you're interested in them.

In other news, Toys'R'Us is having a B1G1 40% off sale on Amiibos! It includes Lucario, but is otherwise only applicable to first wave Amiibos.

Discontinued for Donkey Kong is no big deal.  There's at least 10 in every store I've visited.  Those will be the first clearance figures.

• Like 1

Discontinued for Donkey Kong is no big deal.  There's at least 10 in every store I've visited.  Those will be the first clearance figures.

I have to agree. Plus, with DK being a central Nintendo figure AND a new Mario vs Donkey Kong game coming out in 2015 for Wii U, it's almost assured that they'll do another production wave of him or even a new variant around the time the game comes out.

I would go ahead and tag Samus/Fox as Uncommon, though I don't really expect that discontinued Fox rumor to be true.  Those figures seemed to only have slightly larger retail shipments than marth/villager/wft, but no where near as plentiful as the main group of pikachu/dk/link/mario/peach

I would go ahead and tag Samus/Fox as Uncommon, though I don't really expect that discontinued Fox rumor to be true.  Those figures seemed to only have slightly larger retail shipments than marth/villager/wft, but no where near as plentiful as the main group of pikachu/dk/link/mario/peach

Done.

Also, someone on Twitter linked to this, which I thought was pretty cool: An Amiibo carrying case/holder.

It's kind of expensive at $29.99, but I'm actually thinking of grabbing one. Hopefully Club Nintendo will offer something similar? Yeah right...

Done.

Also, someone on Twitter linked to this, which I thought was pretty cool: An Amiibo carrying case/holder.

It's kind of expensive at $29.99, but I'm actually thinking of grabbing one. Hopefully Club Nintendo will offer something similar? Yeah right...

228px-Amiibo-case-block-3.jpg

29.99 at Walmart and GS.  It makes you want to punch it and watch multiple Marths pop out.

• Like 1

228px-Amiibo-case-block-3.jpg

29.99 at Walmart and GS.  It makes you want to punch it and watch multiple Marths pop out.

I read reviews for that case on amazon and everyone says it's bad and not very big can only hold a few Amiibo's.

I feel that Nintendo didn't know what people were going to buy it. What I mean is that there are different groups of people buying amiibo for different reasons. This allows certain amiibo to become rare by faster than normal.

1. Resellers

2. Kids who don't play smash or video games

3. Toy collectors

4. Nintendo collectors who buy two of each, opened and not opened.

5. Smash players who buy them one at a time

6. Smash players who buy as many as possible

7. For other games only , Mario kart and hyrule warriors

• Like 1

Best Buy online has sold out of all Wave 2 Amiibos except Luigi.

I know some won't be available until later in the month, but just worth noting that this appears to be another lower than expected print run wave. 

This feels like the freaking Beanie Baby hype all over again.

Sucks not being able to go out hunting for these myself... I really do want to collect them all but as it is I have to task that to my family who *ahem* aren't very fast about these things. I told them to pick up Marth and Villager before they were even "rare" they waited like two weeks before telling me "none left sorry"

Sucks not being able to go out hunting for these myself... I really do want to collect them all but as it is I have to task that to my family who *ahem* aren't very fast about these things. I told them to pick up Marth and Villager before they were even "rare" they waited like two weeks before telling me "none left sorry"

Maybe you should pre-order things if you want them that bad. Just sayin'. Right now--at least at my Gamestop--if you do not pre-order one, it seems to be the case that you won't--that is to say the store won't--get them in on launch. Someone came in today looking for the new toys, but we only had one people pre-ordered.

Saw this on twitter and thought I'd share.

B46UoAHCMAIzEiU.jpg

• Like 2