Photo

Mech games.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi

Kiwi

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Whether it be the action-focused Armored Core, the more simulation-style of Mechwarrior, or the strategy flavoring of Front Mission, there are quite a few games where you command big, stompy robots. What's some of your favorite robot games? Personally, Kiwi loves all of the ones he's played.
Posted Image

#2 barrel

barrel

Site Manager

• Moderators
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

Can't say I've played too many but I loved Zone of the Enders 2 and have done countless rematches with a friend in Gundam Battle Assault 2. Also quite a fan of the Front Mission games I've played, which is 1, 3....and the amazing game that we never got in the states, Front Mission 5. Also played Gundam Federation vs Zeon quite a bit in multi as well, never going to have a mech based strafe battle in space ever again.

I do want to play Armored Core 5 which is coming out soon and I very much hope for Gundam Extreme VS as well, which looks awesome.

#3 Kiwi

Kiwi

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

There's Bootfighter which Kiwi thinks has a free version, you pilot Gundam-esque robots that fight other Gundam-esque robots.
Posted Image

#4 sirdan357

sirdan357

Podunk Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

I loved Armored Core back on the PS1 and early PS2 days. I haven't played too many since, but I would consider picking up the new AC if it's any good.

#5 Kiwi

Kiwi

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Bootfighter download for those interested: http://mirrormoon.org/projects/windom

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was released for free sometime last year, Kiwi believes, patched up, with some new toys thrown in by some dudes at Mektek. The link for that is here: http://www.mektek.ne...downloads-r1204

Mechcommander 2's source code was released a while back, and some dudes made MechCommander Omnitech, which is a stand-alone thing Kiwi believes. He'll look into what it is and get back to you lot on that.

Alright, it is a stand-alone thing and you can even play through the original campaign of MC2, but there are no videos (though they aren't that important) This seems to be their official forum/site/thing: http://www.hard-ligh...php?board=210.0

Edited by Kiwi, 22 February 2012 - 01:58 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Shin GenX

Shin GenX

Podunk Reader

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

Hmm... I used to really like mech games but my taste in games have really changed recently. Just off the top of my head I remember enjoying the Mech Assault series on the xbox 360. A bit light on the simulation and action heavy. Also played a little bit of Steel Battalion on the original xbox ^^ That game was a bit too hardcore for me though ^^

#7 Kiwi

Kiwi

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Kiwi always wanted to play Steel Battalion. MechAssault was pretty great, even if 2 had too much focus on not mechs and not enough letting you pick your own bloody mechs. Another cool one from the Xbox is Phantom Crash, which works on the 360, from what Kiwi remembers. It was low on actual environments to fight and not good multiplayer but the machines were awesome and the focus on stealth and speed was pretty cool.
Posted Image

#8 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Kiwi always wanted to play Steel Battalion. MechAssault was pretty great, even if 2 had too much focus on not mechs and not enough letting you pick your own bloody mechs.

Yeah, I remember back then that the clan I gamed with talked about how 2 wasn't anywhere near as good as 1, so I never bought 2. And yet, they all just continued to play 2, leaving me to 1.

And, for what it's worth, Day 1's upcoming F2P game, Reign of Thunder, seems very much like MechAssault reborn.
Posted Image

#9 Kiwi

Kiwi

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yeah, Reign of thunder... Kiwi's not too sure about that. Those funky looking machines moved like Cougars. And all Kiwi thought while he was watching it was "Cougar, Cougar, Cougar." Kiwi understands that they don't have rights to Battletech, but hopefully they can get some better looking machines or at least something that doesn't move exactly like the Battletech machines.

As for the differences between 1 and two, 2 didn't allow you to choose your mech, each map had its own selection of mechs and what have you.
Posted Image

#10 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

As for the differences between 1 and two, 2 didn't allow you to choose your mech, each map had its own selection of mechs and what have you.

Yeah, that aspect really didn't appeal to me. I just wanted to circle strafe it up in my Belial.
Posted Image

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Sadly if they lifted that restriction it would just have the same problem as MA1 "Here they come, clickty clack down the track it's lots and lots of Mad Cats!"

And some variants never showed up in Grinder (Which is pretty much all Kiwi played)
Posted Image

#12 Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Barristan Selmy

Kezins

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Whether it be the action-focused Armored Core, the more simulation-style of Mechwarrior, or the strategy flavoring of Front Mission, there are quite a few games where you command big, stompy robots. What's some of your favorite robot games? Personally, Kiwi loves all of the ones he's played.

I haven't played any mech games in a long while. I played Mech Assault and Mech Assault 2 heavily on the original Xbox though. I was addicted to the multiplayer aspect of those games. I haven't seen anything similar that I'd like to buy since.
<p>twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezins PSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPGCurrently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player/iPad Air/HTC One M7
http://www.gamefront...author/william/

#13 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Most recent mech game I dug was Chromehounds on the 360. Much slower paced game than MA, but I loved it to death (especially true since the servers are now dead). Loved being a Commander and leading the squad to victory.
Posted Image

#14 Shin GenX

Shin GenX

Podunk Reader

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hey guys if you like mech games you have to check out this.
Looks freaking awesome as a Indie game.

#15 Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Barristan Selmy

Kezins

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Great video. This game is going on my watch list.
<p>twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezins PSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPGCurrently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player/iPad Air/HTC One M7
http://www.gamefront...author/william/

#16 Kiwi

Kiwi

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Oh, yes Hawken. Kiwi signed up for that a bit ago. Though he's got more of an eye on Mechwarrior: Online (which Kiwi *thinks* is coming out sooner).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWr3ZUQJeo&feature=channel

Unfortunately, there isn't any actual gameplay footage of it, as far as Kiwi's aware (though this stuff supposedly isn't pre-rendered, but done with ingame assets)

But yeah, Hawken's not gonna be around for people to play until December. You can sign up for it now though. If you're the sort who likes to con recruit people, you can reserve a name after getting 3 people to sign up.
Posted Image

#17 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I haven't really played many mech game. We did back in hs, in our electronic class play gundam on the computer. I can't remember the exact name but boy was it fun. The good old days.

#18 Kiwi

Kiwi

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Official gameplay video, it seems to have not deviated too much from Mechwarrior gameplay of the past in general feel, though Kiwi really hopes they make the lasers have more ooompf to them, they seem kind of puny.
Posted Image

#19 Death Gun

Death Gun

Desu Gun

• Moderators
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Anyone here play Another Century's Episode R? Pretty sweet mech game with mechs from various shows including the Lancelot Albion from Code Geass!
Heres the opening:
http://www.dailymoti...ng-m_videogames
(Youtube blocked the audio on the trailer so...)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image