Photo

Online Game Bullying

bullying online

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#41 SeveranceZero

SeveranceZero

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

I see. Seems small longitudinal study are easier to done. As having it go on for 20 years could mean a lot of patient drop out for whatever reasons.

This usually only becomes an issue if the study is being done on elderly people, as they may not live long enough to finish the entire study. Longitudinal studies are nice because they allow the researcher to keep watch and collect data over an extended period of time, which can lead to more accurate results. For example, if they are doing a study of children starting at the age of 10, their views/identity/interactions with the world may be quite different after they go through puberty. So, if a longitudinal study were to be done over the course of 10 years for example, the researchers can watch their behavior develop and grow, to see which changes actually occur and can take those into account when making a conclusion for their study.

There are also cases where they think a child is too young to understand something (such as being adopted) and once they are older they will be able to grasp this concept. The problem with these studies though is that they are usually expensive and hard to do, one of the reasons being that the people may never finish the study (as you hinted at), but they are quite useful when used.

#42 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

This usually only becomes an issue if the study is being done on elderly people, as they may not live long enough to finish the entire study. Longitudinal studies are nice because they allow the researcher to keep watch and collect data over an extended period of time, which can lead to more accurate results. For example, if they are doing a study of children starting at the age of 10, their views/identity/interactions with the world may be quite different after they go through puberty. So, if a longitudinal study were to be done over the course of 10 years for example, the researchers can watch their behavior develop and grow, to see which changes actually occur and can take those into account when making a conclusion for their study.

There are also cases where they think a child is too young to understand something (such as being adopted) and once they are older they will be able to grasp this concept. The problem with these studies though is that they are usually expensive and hard to do, one of the reasons being that the people may never finish the study (as you hinted at), but they are quite useful when used.

Well you could also have a change in address, people dropping out do to side effects (only in drugs study), or even people just changing there mind. Maybe a girl became pregnant and decided it was safer to drop out. But I get your point. I think longitudinal is just a prospective study just you follow them over time and taking multiple points.

#43 SeveranceZero

SeveranceZero

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Well you could also have a change in address, people dropping out do to side effects (only in drugs study), or even people just changing there mind. Maybe a girl became pregnant and decided it was safer to drop out. But I get your point. I think longitudinal is just a prospective study just you follow them over time and taking multiple points.

Well I understand what you mean but some of those issues become trivial and can still be dealt with, though I'm not sure I've heard of any drug trials being used for longitudinal studies over 10 years >.<. Though people dropping out because side effects become too serious can be a major issue.

#44 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Well I understand what you mean but some of those issues become trivial and can still be dealt with, though I'm not sure I've heard of any drug trials being used for longitudinal studies over 10 years >.<. Though people dropping out because side effects become too serious can be a major issue.

Yea I don't think drug studies are ever longitudinal, that's why I didn't know what it was haha.

#45 SeveranceZero

SeveranceZero

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yea I don't think drug studies are ever longitudinal, that's why I didn't know what it was haha.

Ah well now you know, you learn something new everyday !

#46 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

Ah well now you know, you learn something new everyday !

Yup yup. I agree. Sometimes stuff I don't even want to know I end up learning aka anything school related :P.