• 1,779 posts
  • Twitter:@will_snizek
  • Steam:kezins
  • PSN:kezins
  • XBL:kezins
  • Wii:kezins
  • LocationHigh Hrothgar, West Virginia

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

It looks like Killzone 3 multiplayer will be a free download on PSN in the near future. You'll only be able to advance so far though. To get the complete multiplayer experience, you'll have to pay $14.99. You can get the full game on Amazon for $26.88 though, so I'm not sure how good of a deal this really is.
<p>twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezinsPSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPGCurrently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player

#2 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 547 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

It's a very interesting strategy. I believe there is a level cap and that is when you have to pay to continue or part ways with the multiplayer. I think it's a good idea because the online community will be inflated and competition will be down for the first few weeks of the promotion. The average gamer will find this environment more appealing (see COD) and possibly purchase the game which is already discounted. The game is obviously more polished than a beta so it has more potential to impress people as well.

Posted Image

#3 John Kidman

John Kidman

Podunk Reader

• Editor
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Very interested to see this strategy on a console. We've seen this with various MMOs over the years and via Steam, but this should be the first FPS to do it on a console.

#4 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Backloggery:number905
  • PSN:Number905
  • XBL:Number 905
  • 3DS:0060-9632-5541
  • LocationJoliet, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

That is pretty interesting. I don't recall liking it too much from what I played in the demo, but I'll at least give it a shot.
Posted Image

#5 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 547 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

That is pretty interesting. I don't recall liking it too much from what I played in the demo, but I'll at least give it a shot.

I really enjoyed it actually although I got the DLC for free through a Gillette promotion. Definitely give it a try. There is a level that had stormy weather and jet packs, that was by far my favorite.

Posted Image

#6 Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I really enjoyed it actually although I got the DLC for free through a Gillette promotion. Definitely give it a try. There is a level that had stormy weather and jet packs, that was by far my favorite.

I tinkered around with the game and didn't like it too much. I was a bigger fan of Killzone 2.
<p>twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezinsPSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPGCurrently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player

#7 sirdan357

sirdan357

Podunk Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationMesa AZ

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I already own Killzone 3, but this is an interesting move. If this is successful I could see them doing it a lot with multiplayer focused games.

#8 Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke

Perfection

• Members
  • 2,240 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

This is actually a really cool idea. Basically a multiplayer demo after the game is released, I think Unreal Tournament 2004 did something similar.

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#9 Ciel

Ciel

"See-Elle"

• Community Manager
  • 1,885 posts
  • Twitter:@philosojoe
  • Steam:Ciel
  • PSN:Spokey-Who
  • 3DS:2766-8355-7515
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I actually really do like this approach. When I owned my PS3, I was not so much a fan of Killzone's campaign, but the multiplayer simply captivated me. This process of trying before you buy sort of reminds me of what Apple is doing in their AppStore, or rather what certain companies are doing, where you download a game for free and if you want "more" so to speak, you pay for it. If you don't then that is OK, too.

Good move, Sony.

tumblr_n7jjpqMr2X1qh75ibo1_500.gif

#10 Veridis_Quo

Veridis_Quo

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • PSN:Veridis_Quo
  • XBL:Kontrabida
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm actually looking forward to playing this again - I've been itchin' to play KZ3's MP ever since I got rid of it last year. If anyone was wondering the PS Move works really well in this game and I've gotten the most use out of it playing KZ3. Playing this "trial" will give me satisfy me enough to fill my FPS void.

I'm also curious as to how they handle players with high ranks; I'm pretty sure I've unlocked everything for all classes
Posted Image

#11 TKtheknight

TKtheknight

"Tee-Kay"

• Community Knight
  • 2,684 posts
  • Twitter:@TKtheknight
  • PSN:tktheknight

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Interesting idea. I really like the multiplayer and it's tough playing with the sharpshooter and move. We should have a game going sometime like Game Podunk server or just hang out and have fun.

anime_gurrenLagann-simon_nia2.gif"With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!"

#12 Veridis_Quo

Veridis_Quo

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

Interesting idea. I really like the multiplayer and it's tough playing with the sharpshooter and move. We should have a game going sometime like Game Podunk server or just hang out and have fun.

I recommend not using the sharpshooter, just hold the move and nav controller on each hand and you'll get a better feel and grasp of control with the peripheral. And that goes for any game IMO.
Posted Image

#13 TKtheknight

TKtheknight

"Tee-Kay"

• Community Knight
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

I recommend not using the sharpshooter, just hold the move and nav controller on each hand and you'll get a better feel and grasp of control with the peripheral. And that goes for any game IMO.

I actually beat the campaign with the sharpshooter and move. For mutliplayer I did have a hard time and it was easier with just move and nav. Other than that it's pretty good. I also tried playing the sharpshooter with Resistance 3 and I did not like it at all. It didn't feel right for RE3, but it did for KZ3.

anime_gurrenLagann-simon_nia2.gif"With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!"

#14 Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke

Perfection

• Members
  • 2,240 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Would love to try the sharpshooter though...only have like 2 Move games anyway.

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#15 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 547 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

I actually beat the campaign with the sharpshooter and move. For mutliplayer I did have a hard time and it was easier with just move and nav. Other than that it's pretty good. I also tried playing the sharpshooter with Resistance 3 and I did not like it at all. It didn't feel right for RE3, but it did for KZ3.

Yeah, R3 was impossible to play with the Sharpshooter.

Posted Image

#16 Veridis_Quo

Veridis_Quo

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

So it's as I feared - veteran players who are past rank of sergeant can't continue to play. I downloaded and booted up the trial demo and as soon as I logged online a screen came up prompting me to pay for the full version. I guess I expected too much and assumed that I could play much as I wanted as long I was at the allowed maximum level you can be for the trial. Oh well :(
Posted Image

#17 TKtheknight

TKtheknight

"Tee-Kay"

• Community Knight
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Damn that sucks. I'll have to give it a try sometime. I don't think I ever reached sergeant.

#18 Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

I rarely use the sharpshooter myself. I definitely prefer just having the Move controllers in my hands.

#19 Marshall Henderson

Marshall Henderson

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

Well, I tried this out earlier. I am awful at console FPSes. That is all.

#20 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Backloggery:number905
  • PSN:Number905
  • XBL:Number 905
  • 3DS:0060-9632-5541
  • LocationJoliet, IL

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

I gave it a try, definitely not for me. Not a fan of the art style and I couldn't for the life of me find a happy medium for aim sensitivity that let me be precise while also letting me turn.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About

Friends of GP

Site Navigation

Contact

• General Inquiry
  • contact (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

• Press Related
  • gp.press (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

Site Info