#1 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 544 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hey Podunkers!

I just came into a Wii through a trade on Craigslist and I was wondering what games to get. I really never looked into Wii games since I would never be able to play them but now I can! What are the must-have games for the Wii?

Posted Image

#2 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Metroid Prime Trilogy (if you can find it; it's super rare nowadays)
Metroid: Other M (yes, I liked it :P)
Klonoa
Epic Mickey
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (if you like SRPGS)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Punch-Out!!
Sonic Colors
Boom Blox
Red Steel 2
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Dead Space Extraction
Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-stars
Goldeneye
Lost Winds
Lost Winds: Winter of the Melodias
Art Style: Cubello
Wii Sports Resort (believe it or not)
Wario Land Shake It!

....and some more I'm not thinking of.

I'm sure Leah and Jordan will help fill in some of the ones I forgot. :P
Posted Image

#3 mr.me

mr.me

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

Avoid Super Paper Mario, it's very bland and uninspired. Zack and Wiki is good, but requires a ton of patience. If you guess wrong on a puzzle you have to redo every puzzle in the level, very annoying.

You have to get Super Mario Galaxy, it is one of the greatest games ever made and the best platformer ever. Madworld is a very fun game that Jason forogt.

#4 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Avoid Super Paper Mario, it's very bland and uninspired.

Madworld is a very fun game that Jason forogt.

I can understand why you wouldn't SPM; I didn't at first either but I found myself enjoying it more and more as I played it. It's the least best of the Paper Mario games though. However, I don't think I'd call it bland and uninspired, but to each their own I suppose.

And yes, Madworld was one I forgot too. It was one of the first games made by Platinum Games when they first got together.
Posted Image

#5 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter:@KaptainJ
  • Steam:kaptainj
  • PSN:SirKaptainJ
  • Wii:KaptainJ
  • 3DS:5284 - 2393 - 6951
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Avoid Super Paper Mario, it's very bland and uninspired.

Not to me it's not. I really liked that game, personally.

Anyway, Let's see here...

WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Resident Evil: the Umbrella Chronicles
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

I'll think of more later...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#6 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Wow, I don't know how I forgot Rhythm Heaven Fever.

And I just reviewed that too, lol.
Posted Image

#7 Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,773 posts
  • Twitter:@will_snizek
  • Steam:kezins
  • PSN:kezins
  • XBL:kezins
  • Wii:kezins
  • LocationHigh Hrothgar, West Virginia

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

I'd highly suggest picking up some of the Nintendo Selects games. You can get them for $20 or less including Super Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario. Another game I'd really suggest picking up is Muramasa: The Demon Blade which is $10.27 on Amazon. And if you never played Okami on the PS2, I'd highly suggest picking it up for the Wii. Okami is my personal favorite game on the Wii right now. You can pick that up for under $20 too.
<p>twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezinsPSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPGCurrently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player

#8 Direct Hit

Direct Hit

walk like a champion, talk like a champion

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • PSN:JohnnyC27078
  • 3DS:2277-6820-1992
  • LocationMexico

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

Jason's list is pretty much what i'd suggest you to play tbh

No More Heroes
New Super Mario Bros. Wii

These being my favorite of all.
AND ALL THAT I CAN SEE... IS JUST A YELLOW LEMON TREE!
Posted Image

#9 mr.me

mr.me

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I thought Super Paper Mario's platforming was about as simplistic as a platformer could be and level design was very generic. Throughout the entire game it was like I was doing the same thing over and over. Unlike previous games, the story was very boring. The RPG elements were so shallow there was no point in them being in the game. I don't think there was a single thing I liked in the game.

#10 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

I thought Super Paper Mario's platforming was about as simplistic as a platformer could be and level design was very generic. Throughout the entire game it was like I was doing the same thing over and over. Unlike previous games, the story was very boring. The RPG elements were so shallow there was no point in them being in the game. I don't think there was a single thing I liked in the game.

I've actually heard the complete opposite from other people about the story, who say that the story was the best of the series. And as a platformer, I suppose the levels were a little simplistic, but the game isn't meant to be a ground-breaking platformer at all. And the main focus of the game was the ability to go into the 3rd dimension to go through obstacles and whatnot.

But eh, to each their own. I just don't want Tyler blowing the game off because of one man's opinion. And Tyler, if what mr.me said made you iffy, at least give it a chance through Gamefly. And if it helps you in your decision, the reception it got was mostly positive, as shown in the Wikipedia article.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#11 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I've actually heard the complete opposite from other people about the story, who say that the story was the best of the series.

I agree with this 100%. Even though I think Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are stronger games overall, I would say that Super Paper Mario easily has the best story of the three games, including a really touching end.
Posted Image

#12 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 544 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

YIKES!

It looks like I have my work cut out for me! Thanks for the help guys! I will def be checking out Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles too in addition to all these suggestions!

Posted Image

#13 Leah

Leah

Members

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Backloggery:Leah
  • PSN:Evadine
  • XBL:Evadine
  • Wii:2690 4954 3838 1010
  • 3DS:4038-6018-4468
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Ummm.

Animal Crossing: City Folk, Harvest Moon: Animal Parade, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (even though it's definitely not my favorite Zelda), Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime Trilogy, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, WarioWare Smooth Moves,

Also I have other games I've not yet touched but own because they're supposed to be good...
A Boy and His Blob, Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon, Ivy the Kiwi?, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Klonoa, Little King's Story, Madworld, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

And games I don't have but have heard are good...
Epic Mickey, Goldeneye 007, Monster Hunter Tri, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Rune Factory Frontier, Sonic Colors

Posted Image

#14 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Oh, there's one I forgot! While certainly not the best RPG I've played, I really enjoyed this game. From a beautiful post-apocalyptic setting to a wonderful narrative filled with some really good voice acting, I recommend giving it a shot. Plus, it has some pretty creepy enemies for being an RPG...

Posted Image

#15 Veridis_Quo

Veridis_Quo

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • PSN:Veridis_Quo
  • XBL:Kontrabida
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

If you like fighters I can't tell you enough how good Super Smash Bros. Brawl is. However it is much better if you have someone to play with locally, and because of it's easy learning curve it can get really competitive among friends. The online is fine but you will no doubt experience some lag when playing - and when it comes to fighting games, where each second is crucial, it can get annoying when you perform a move and have it perform on screen 1-2 seconds later.
Posted Image

#16 Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke

Perfection

• Members
  • 2,232 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

There area bunch of games on this list I need to get and play as well. I've been avoiding my Wii for almost 2 years now.

But holy hell I want to play Fatal Frame 4.

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#17 Andres

Andres

Podunk Novice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid Prime Trilogy (if you can find it; it's super rare nowadays)
Metroid: Other M (yes, I liked it :P)
Klonoa
Epic Mickey
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (if you like SRPGS)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Punch-Out!!
Sonic Colors
Boom Blox
Red Steel 2
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Dead Space Extraction
Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-stars
Goldeneye
Lost Winds
Lost Winds: Winter of the Melodias
Art Style: Cubello
Wii Sports Resort (believe it or not)
Wario Land Shake It!

....and some more I'm not thinking of.

I'm sure Leah and Jordan will help fill in some of the ones I forgot. :P

Oh yeah Good Suggestion on No More Heroes!!! Love that Game :D

#18 mr.me

mr.me

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

I've actually heard the complete opposite from other people about the story, who say that the story was the best of the series. And as a platformer, I suppose the levels were a little simplistic, but the game isn't meant to be a ground-breaking platformer at all. And the main focus of the game was the ability to go into the 3rd dimension to go through obstacles and whatnot.

But eh, to each their own. I just don't want Tyler blowing the game off because of one man's opinion. And Tyler, if what mr.me said made you iffy, at least give it a chance through Gamefly. And if it helps you in your decision, the reception it got was mostly positive, as shown in the Wikipedia article.

Obviously it wasn't meant to be a ground-breaking platformer. I'm not sure what they were trying to do. The switching to the third dimension was more of an annoyance than anything. It was basically, "Oh, there's a wall in the way, better switch to 3D, it's an arch...Another wall, 3D, crack, flip, rinse and repeat for entire game." It wasn't a fun concept, it didn't require thinking, it was just there.

#19 woopah

woopah

Podunk Pioneer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:02 AM

I havn't seen it mentioned but if you are a fan of pikmin games I'd whole heatedly suggest Little king's story. It has got a geat deal of variety and creativity especially in its boss fights and is packed with content too; well worth your money. Only major flaw I found is the lack or IR usage which seems a very silly mistake to me

#20 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 5,166 posts
  • Twitter:kiet86
  • Steam:kiet86
  • PSN:DarkCobra86
  • XBL:DarkCobra86
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Tyler, you should check out the list milkman posted on GDD. That had a lot too. But I'm sure these mods already got everything covered. Congrats on a new wii.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About

Friends of GP

Site Navigation

Contact

• General Inquiry
  • contact (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

• Press Related
  • gp.press (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

Site Info