• 1,347 posts
  • Twitter:@KaptainJ
  • Steam:kaptainj
  • PSN:SirKaptainJ
  • Wii:KaptainJ
  • 3DS:5284 - 2393 - 6951
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

For all of you who have played the God of War series, there's one man who's work you should be quite familiar with. That man is Cory Barlog. As the lead animator on the first God of War, the director of God of War II, and one of the guys who worked on the PSP titles from Ready at Dawn, God of War: Chains of Olympus and God of War: Ghost of Sparta, this guy has a pretty decent resume going for him.

And it looks like that resume has snatched him a position at the Square Enix subsidiary known as Crystal Dynamics to help work on the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot. And along with Tomb Raider, it appears that Cory Barlog also has some other, mysterious title on his agenda.

Considering exactly what the God of War series is, it should be interesting to see what kind of pizzazz Mr. Barlog will bring to the new Tomb Raider, as well as whatever this other project is.

Are you excited that such a successful veteran is joining in on the new Tomb Raider? Does this raise any hopes for you about the reboot?

Source: G4 TV

Click here to view the article

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#2 Darklurkr23

Darklurkr23

The C.W.M.

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Twitter:@Darklurkr23
  • Backloggery:Over 30 Games xbla/psn/pc combined XD
  • PSN:Darklurkr23
  • XBL:Darklurkr23
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

What's going to happen though we getting non-gun combat? If she's supposed to be a normal girl, how the hell is this going to mash wiht God of War xD Though I'd LOVE if they gave it a secret Kratos Skin after you beat the game.

#3 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,347 posts
  • Twitter:@KaptainJ
  • Steam:kaptainj
  • PSN:SirKaptainJ
  • Wii:KaptainJ
  • 3DS:5284 - 2393 - 6951
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Who said it's going to have any relation to God of War? I'm sure the guy can do other things :P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#4 Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Barristan Selmy

Kezins

• Members
  • 1,810 posts
  • Twitter:@will_snizek
  • Backloggery:http://backloggery.com/kezins
  • Steam:kezins
  • PSN:kezins
  • XBL:kezins
  • Wii:kezins
  • LocationHigh Hrothgar, West Virginia

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'm still curious about the reboot, but I haven't seen anything that makes it a must-have game yet. Reboots are usually hit and miss. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.
<p>twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezins PSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPGCurrently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player/iPad Air/HTC One M7
http://www.gamefront...author/william/

#5 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 576 posts
  • Twitter:@MRxDURDEN
  • PSN:TYLERxDURDEN
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm still curious about the reboot, but I haven't seen anything that makes it a must-have game yet. Reboots are usually hit and miss. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

I think a big part of it will be how much the devs have learned from Uncharted when it comes to fluidity. It seems like they are going for a similar feel to Uncharted, that is, like you're playing a movie. Features like small talk, random comments, random events and environment change become extremely important. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics can create a similar but original experience in Tomb Raider.

Posted Image

#6 SeveranceZero

SeveranceZero

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

I remember playing the first TR for PS1, used to love that game, doing all the training in the house with the butler and stuff! And exploring the caves and everything. Hopefully they remake it in that kind of style rather than the GoW style where it's a lot of repetitive button mashing.

If it turns out to be a mix between the things Tyler mentioned above me and the original gameplay of TR, it can be quite a great reboot to the TR series.

#7 sirdan357

sirdan357

Podunk Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationMesa AZ

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

If this game lives up to the early footage it could be great.

#8 bink

bink

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

I remember playing the first TR for PS1, used to love that game, doing all the training in the house with the butler and stuff! And exploring the caves and everything. Hopefully they remake it in that kind of style rather than the GoW style where it's a lot of repetitive button mashing.

If it turns out to be a mix between the things Tyler mentioned above me and the original gameplay of TR, it can be quite a great reboot to the TR series.

Haha, me too!! Loved the TR games on original Play Station. I didn't keep up with the series as fervently as I had when I was younger and playing them on PS, but I have played a few throughout the years. The most recent I played was TR Legend and it felt like the series hadn't advanced at all considering how many years had passed and the capabilities of the newer consoles. Of course the graphics were way better (gosh on the original PS though I remember being impressed then - How far we have come!). However, the game itself was very jittery and lacked fluidity. The camera angles were wonky and she interacted with the objects in a very superficial fashion, like they were all huge, textured blocks with sharp corners and platforms that should not have been there. I really didn't like the utilization of timed button sequences, and the motorcycles in Legend felt like they had no weight and no solidity, just like they were scooting on ice.

So, I've had a difficult time appreciating the growth of this series (or lack thereof), because on one hand I feel like they're paying homage to the way the original TR games played and felt, but on another I feel they really should have advanced the series more. I so badly want this series to grow into itself instead of feeling static and reminiscent of days long gone, and grow into what the consoles offer in today's time. I hope that Cory Barlog can really pump some "umph" into the TR series. I loved God of War 1 and 2, and thought they were extremely visually appealing, and fun to play.

As a side thought though, I really wish they would quit completely changing her facial features throughout the games.

#9 mr.me

mr.me

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

I never played the originals, they never interested me, but I did play Legend and it was mediocre. Never tried anymore after that. Before Cory Barlog was even involved, I thought this game looked great. A big step up in immersion, gameplay, and story. The biggest improvement in my mind is the fact that Lara Croft actually looks like a woman now and not a ridiculous cartoon, with that they've fixed the biggest problem with the TR series.

Cory Balrog is an amazing developer, he managed to make God of War 2 better than the original and when he left 3 turned into garbage. There is no doubt in my mind that his involvement will make an already promising game even better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users