Photo

Animes to suggest?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 PoukiSan

PoukiSan

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Soooo, I've recently started doing something that I have been avoiding my whole life.... Watch animes!

I watched Death Note, which I loved and I'm also watching Deadman Wonderland. I've randomly bumped into it on youtube and it seemed fun + there only 12 episodes. It's nice but not spectacular... I know that there are people here with much more experience than me so what would you suggest??

Until now suggestions I had from friends were Fairy Tale, Bleach and Naruto. I've checked the top 5 thread but I wanted to ask if people know about any other series that are in a similar vane to Death Note...

Thanks ^_^
"One must keep his friends close Raziel... And his enemies, closer..."

Shamelessly stole the avatar from http://skeenoman.deviantart.com/

#2 Jared

Jared

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 258 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

I suggest Mushi Shi for it's strange dream like setting, and The Castle of Cagliostro just because it is required viewing.

#3 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Two of my favorites are History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi and Gurren Lagann. If you love anime with long story arcs that really pay off in the end, you'll love those two. I should throw Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood into the mix as well.

Air Gear is another great one as well, but it ends a bit inconclusively, which might throw some people off. Still well worth watching though.

As for great anime with a more romantic-comedy vibe, I suggest Love Hina, UFO Princess Valkyrie, Ranma 1/2, and Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na: Brighter Than Dawning Blue.

As for great comedy animes: Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga, and Pani Poni Dash.
Posted Image

#4 barrel

barrel

Site Manager

• Moderators
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

While they are all pretty different Code Geass, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Gurren Lagann (a little slow at 1st but it pays off...mostly) are good for an actions series fix.

For more comedic stuff I personally really enjoyed Angel Beats (though it's a little bipolar in the sense that it randomly gets serious and has some deep themes...but don't watch the English dub if you do, just don't.), Seto no Hanayome, and....dare I say, Ouran High School Host Club. While I have my beefs with the second season, I think Clannad is pretty good as a romantic comedy.

Since Jason mentioned it, Air Gear is worth watching based on the soundtrack alone (that and it's strangely awesome despite the premise), but...well, do not watch it unless you want to get into manga (comics) to continue the series. I don't want to overwhelm you with recommendations though, so I'll stop for now.

#5 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Since Jason mentioned it, Air Gear is worth watching based on the soundtrack alone (that and it's strangely awesome despite the premise)...

I definitely agree with this. Air Gear is one of the few things in my life where I REALLY got into its world and mythology and such (the only other games/shows to have done that are Chrono Trigger, the Zelda series, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy XII, and LOST).

But after watching only a few episodes (and I think I can speak for barrel when I say this), you begin to realize how awesome it would be if the concept was real; how much more open and free the world would be to explore if you could use Air Treks in real life to skate up buildings and grind on walls and power lines and whatnot. In addition to the great music, story, narrative, and characters, I think that's what really made the show all the more amazing for me.
Posted Image

#6 Ludono

Ludono

Desu Gun

• Moderators
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Would you a watch a show solely for the character development, even if you didn't understand the main plot device? Try Chihayafuru, an anime that's airing now but ending in a week or two (24 episodes) that centers around the game of Karuta.

Even if you know a lot about Japanese culture, and have watched dozens of anime shows you might still be baffled about it. The game is basically 100 cards, with 50 different classic Japanese poems written on them, 2 each. A reader starts reading a poem and the two player (each with their own set of 50 poems try to grab the right poem first). That's the overly simplified, probably mostly wrong interpretation I got from watching this show. THAT ASIDE, the show itself is just fantastic, the main character Chihaya becomes obsessed with the game after being introduced to it by one of the two main male leads. She then spends the rest of the show trying to be "the very best, like no one ever was" at Karuta, also known as "The Queen of Karuta". Theres not too much action but the interaction and character development make this a HIGHLY reccomended series.

Another one of my favorites, and wildly popular in Japan, K-ON!. It's a show about a group of highschool girls forming a band and aiming to play at one of the biggest music festivals in Japan. It's a slice of life, meaning you'll watching it for the characters and not for the action.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Barristan Selmy

Kezins

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

Soooo, I've recently started doing something that I have been avoiding my whole life.... Watch animes!

I watched Death Note, which I loved and I'm also watching Deadman Wonderland. I've randomly bumped into it on youtube and it seemed fun + there only 12 episodes. It's nice but not spectacular... I know that there are people here with much more experience than me so what would you suggest??

Until now suggestions I had from friends were Fairy Tale, Bleach and Naruto. I've checked the top 5 thread but I wanted to ask if people know about any other series that are in a similar vane to Death Note...

Thanks ^_^

Right now, I'm watching High School of the Dead which is pretty good as long as you don't mind fan service. You'd think that the zombie apocalypse has been played out at this point, but it's actually a really good take on zombies. The storylines are good and episodes flow rather quickly. I've watched 4 episodes so far and they seemed to go bye without me realizing how much time was involved.
<p>twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezins PSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPGCurrently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player/iPad Air/HTC One M7
http://www.gamefront...author/william/

#8 PoukiSan

PoukiSan

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:45 AM

Thank everybody, this is awesome!! I don't know what to start with :P:P It's been so long that I've been avoiding animes that now that the gates are open I'm at a loss :D

Mushi Shi
The Castle of Cagliostro

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Gurren Lagann II
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood II
Air Gear IIish
Love Hina
UFO Princess Valkyrie
Ranma 1/2
Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na: Brighter Than Dawning Blue.
Azumanga Daioh
Excel Saga
Pani Poni Dash
Code Geass
Angel Beats (<- I don't watch english dubs in any case because I try to practice my Japanese :P)
Seto no Hanayome
Ouran High School Host Club
Clannad (<- I don't know if I should play the vn first or see the anime :P)
Chihayafuru
K-ON!
High School of the Dead
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories
08th MS Team

Air gear seems to have three votes so I might start with that... But then I'm not giving any weight on ones tagged as must-see :/ Awhhh. Maybe I should just stay at home for a couple of weeks and catch-up.. Damn it society and your foolish rules of working, sleeping and eating :P

#9 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

Air gear seems to have three votes so I might start with that...

To be fair, I posted about it twice, haha, so it really only got two votes, but I still highly recommend it. ;)
Posted Image

#10 PoukiSan

PoukiSan

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Haha, silly me I didn't look at the posters :P It's more convenient this way though because otherwise there is a tie between 3 :P Still - have to watch them all ¬_¬

#11 barrel

barrel

Site Manager

• Moderators
  • 948 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Jason gets 2 votes because he's Jason, you just have to accept it. Though, I have to say it's totally unfair when he asks for a majority vote and it's just him and one other person...

I don't know about the Clannad VN, I heard it's good but I never read it. The anime was fine without any knowledge of it (like most animes based on VNs, they are just adaptions after all), if anything if you play the VN 1st you'll probably be more jaded to the anime. Your Japanese reading would have to be pretty good (probably just a strong understanding of Hiragana) to play the entirety of it, I would imagine, because I don't think an English translation exists for the game.

#12 Jared

Jared

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Also, if you don't have the time to get into a full anime series at the moment, The Castle of Cagliostro is a two hour movie. Did I also mention it is great?

#13 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Get on some Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories. Or 08th MS Team.
Posted Image

#14 PoukiSan

PoukiSan

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:45 AM

@Jared: Before the series I started with some movies (I've seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Arrietty) but I'll add The Castle of Cagliostro to that list as well - as you said movies are easier :)
Number 905: Noted :) Thanks!

#15 mr.me

mr.me

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

If you want to watch anime movies too, watch Ponyo, Steam Boy, and Metropolis.

#16 Ludono

Ludono

Desu Gun

• Moderators
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

If you want to watch anime movies too, watch Ponyo, Steam Boy, and Metropolis.

Excuse me? Ghlibli movies are a given but WHERE IS AKIRA? Seriously, go watch Akira, great movie!
Trailer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Ludono

Ludono

Desu Gun

• Moderators
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Other notably good movies are

Girl who Leapt Through Time, 5 Cm and Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo are all from the same director, one of the greatest of all time; Mamoru Ooshi!

and of course, one of the greatest anime films to be released in recent years...REDLINEEEEEE

Seriously, that should be the first thing you watch! It has fantastic visuals and a kickass soundtrack, you're gonna want to watch this in full HD with a nice big bass. Heres the trailer!
Had to link all the trailers because it wouldn't let me post all the videos!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 mr.me

mr.me

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Ponyo was the only Ghlibli I named...

#19 Chronorayven

Chronorayven

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

While I can't think of any anime close to Deathnote though I can recommend other "dark" anime to watch Mirai Nikki aka Future Diary is a good one and another one is Higurashi no naku koro ni is a mystery suspense thriller. Also you can also try Another too if you're still interested in watching these darker shows.

#20 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

If you want a really good comedy, watch school rumble. One of the best in my opinion. Kenshin, yu yu hakasho, and flame of recca are all good to watch. I need to get back into things of watching anime. I haven't watched any series in so long.