Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

Developer: Capcom

Publisher: Capcom
Platform: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Playstation Vita, PC
Release Date: Out Now (PC releases on May 11,

Vita version releases in Fall 2012)
ESRB: T for Teen

Review based off of Playstation3 version

What was once the feverish reverie of many a fighting game fan, has become a reality as two of the most prominent fighting game franchises in the business have come together to offer something another iteration on the Capcom versus series. Is Street Fighter x Tekken a worthy successor to the Iron Fist and World Warriors? Long story short, the answer is a resounding yes.

Posted Image

The narrative for SF x Tekken centers around a mysterious cube that came down from a meteor shower dubbed "Pandora." This box emits a tremendous power that fills the holder with amazing abilities. However, the item only reacts in the presence of aggression and strong fighting spirits. Thusly, every fighter from both the Street Fighter and Tekken universes are en route to recover this item for varying reasons.

The story itself is not all that fancy or descriptive like fellow 2-D fighter Blazblue, but it provides a good McGuffin that gives enough of a sensical reason as why Kazuya is fighting Ryu. Though to be fair, you don’t play this for the deep one player campaign – it’s all about the fighting, and that is where this game shines.

Posted Image

Its gameplay is best described as a perfect blend of the Tekken and Street Fighter disciplines. Elements of both games carry over very well. The tag system is a basic two-on-two affair that allows for quick tag-ins a la Tekken Tag Tournament, replete with air juggle friendly combos and special tag in-tag out combos. The control schemes work well for both play styles with the six button approach of Street Fighter working solidly with Tekken’s four button layout.

From the Street Fighter side of influences, the visual cues are very reminiscent of Street Fighter 4 mixed with the flair and flash of Marvel vs. Capcom. In addition, the inclusion of super combos, cancels, and ex attacks also makes an appearance and flows perfectly between both cast of characters.

Another prime facet of the fighting system is what is known as the “cross gauge.” This gauge allows you to use not only your super combos, ex moves, and cancel techniques, it also allows you to perform extremely powerful super combos that involve both tag partners that not causes massive damage, but also removes any recoverable health from the targets so they can’t recover it while being on standby. Since the gauge is so integral to fighting effectively the game rewards a more fast and offensive style.

In addition, another facet of the gameplay comes in two of its more controversial additions: Pandora mode and the gem system. Pandora mode works a lot like Marvel vs. Capcom 3’s X-factor, but the stakes for triggering it are far higher. When your fighter is at 25% health, you can sacrifice your tag partner and enter a state called "Pandora mode." In this state, your attack power and speed get a boost and you have unlimited cross gauge. However, you only have about eight to ten seconds before it runs out. And when it runs out before you can take out your foe, your character dies. Overall, the Pandora is generally used as a last-ditch effort to even the field. But if you use it, you better use it right.

Posted Image

The gem system is the other special tool used in the game; gems are essentially different perks or boosts for your character that automatically activate when certain conditions are met during battle (like landing 5 normal attacks or getting hit by two special moves). Each gem is broken down into three categories: power, speed, and defense. Each fighter can equip up to three gems at a time and you’re free to mix and match to playing style or to cover the weaknesses of your fighter.

For example, Zangief is a usually slow character but equipping a speed gem can bypass his sluggish steps and give you a bit more of an even field against the more speedy characters. There are also gems that recover health and help build your cross gauge faster, so it pays to mix and match and experiment which gem line-up best fits you. While it all sounds daunting, each element works together to make the fighting very balanced.

One concern among fans was how close quarter Tekken fighters would fare against their fireball-happy rivals. This was bypassed by giving the Tekken characters some sort of dodging move that allows them to dodge fireballs if timed properly.

Putting all this together makes for a surprisingly deep fighting experience that only gets better when you get online. The online mode is very robust with different modes including viewer channels which let you watch online battles narrowed down by which character you want to see, skill level, a particular user you want to track, or even set up your own channel.

Other modes like a mixed match which allows four separate people to fight together as either two-on-two person tag battles or four-person free for all bouts akin to Guilty Gear Isuka. The experience is pretty solid and fun but the connection gets into odd frame rate issues. Sometimes the game will go into bullet-time midway through a round or the sound will drop off. While it does not happen all the time, it occurs enough to make it a little bothersome.

Posted Image

What I particularly liked was the sheer number of fighters, almost over 40 characters all unlocked from the start. But this also brings us to a little rotten spot on an otherwise solid game.

The recent discovery of 12 extra fighters all ready and waiting on the disc adds a bit of annoyance at Capcom’s DLC practices. While their official explanation as to why they did it makes good logic, it does not make me feel any better. Knowing that Capcom and Tekken favorites like Dudley, Elena, Sakura, Lars, Alissa, and Christie are all there to be played but are being held back to be released as payable DLC down the line leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But, these red tape issues aside, Street Fighter x Tekken in and of itself is a blast to play and has the potential to be a real hardcore fighting game fans’ go to fighter.

Pros:
+ HUGE Cast of fighters
+ Genuinely balanced gameplay
+ Fluid meshing to Tekken and Street Fighter

Cons:

- Online can get lagged
- DLC shenanigans
- Knowing I’ll buy the DLC anyway

Overall Score: 8.5 (out of 10)

Great

Street Fighter x Tekken makes all the right moves in making an awesome fighter. But seriously Capcom, WHY U NO LET ME PLAY AS ELENA YET?

Click here to view the article
Dominic Dimanche: Word Writer, Gamer, Professional P.Y.T

#2 Barristan Selmy

Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  • Twitter:@will_snizek
  • Steam:kezins
  • PSN:kezins
  • XBL:kezins
  • Wii:kezins
  • LocationHigh Hrothgar, West Virginia

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:15 AM

Nice review. This game has been on my radar, but I'm still waiting for a price drop. LOL. I also can't wait until Tekken vs. Street Fighter comes out, but I haven't heard any word on that yet. Things being held back for DLC definitely annoys me. I almost always like Capcom games, but can't stand their business practices.

twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezins
PSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPG

Currently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player

#3 Shin GenX

Shin GenX

Podunk Reader

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • XBL:Shin GenXsis

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the review but you are too kind to Capcom.
Hopefully I am not the only one that is upset by how Capcom is doing things. I for one find their explanation BS. They are just trying to cover up for what they are really trying to do, simply make money.

I am all for them making money but I wish they would pursuit more honest and also customer satisfying ways of making money. I am sure that is a possibility. Anybody agree or disagree with me?

Also maybe we can talk about that, what could have been done better with the extra content?

#4 Dominic Dimanche

Dominic Dimanche

Reviewer

• Editor
  • 62 posts
  • LocationGeneric Village, USA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

I agree with you Shin, I should clarify that what Capcom has done makes perfect, logical, business sense, but from a gamer perspective and general populace at large - it's pretty dang shady. As for the content, I agree that a Super SF x Tekken needs to never be done.

Maybe they could have made the 12 characters unlockables via gameplay achievements and leave the costumes as DLC? That way I can still play as my beloved Elena and I still get the option to buy those fancy schoolgirl outfits for her (which I totally will do).

#5 Jared

Jared

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 254 posts
  • PSN:randomguard

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

I just got my PS3 copy in the mail. While it is pretty good, I can't help but think about all of the locked content on the disc. Thankfully I got a good price for it though.

#6 Dominic Dimanche

Dominic Dimanche

Reviewer

• Editor
  • 62 posts
  • LocationGeneric Village, USA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Former Doctor, I propose we do battle! I go by A_Gent_Agent - have at thee!

#7 Jared

Jared

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 254 posts
  • PSN:randomguard

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm randomguard

At the moment, I'm pretty terrible at the game... BUT I TAKE YOU UP ON YOUR CHALLENGE!

#8 sirdan357

sirdan357

Podunk Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationMesa AZ

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Regardless of your stance on Capcom's business sense you can agree that they usually have very polished titles. This seems like a very well made fighter. I'm not gonna buy it personally since fighting games get old quick for me nowadays. At the very least i'll wait until I can get the game for $20 with all content included.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About

Friends of GP

Site Navigation

Contact

• General Inquiry
  • contact (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

• Press Related
  • gp.press (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

Site Info