#1 Marcus Estrada

Marcus Estrada

GP Managing Editor

• Editor
  • 1,830 posts
  • Twitter:marcusboi
  • LocationSilent Hill, California

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Whether or not you enjoyed recent games like Dead Space 3 or Resident Evil 6, one this is for certain: they’re not traditional horror games. Both series may have had roots in survival horror and even been quite scary at times, but they have shifted to action horror, if you’re even willing to call them horror at all any more. What has changed about gamers and the industry over the years to cause this? The trend has been a long time coming. In a way, if the oldest horror games had access to today’s technology, they may have been action-horror hybrids from the start.

There are still many out there interested in more pure horror experiences, but big names in the industry are less enthused. Why cater to a smaller portion of the market when you can hit many more targets with the action genre? If you feel like a stranded horror fan then maybe you should look toward independent games. Indie developers are not beholden to any audience and create whatever they want. As of late, they are especially interested by horror. Here is a list of five upcoming games looking to please fans of horror.

http://youtu.be/f3FkN6FI6ew

A Short Tale of Solitude

Starting off the list is A Short Tale of Solitude which seems to draw more from literary and cinematic worlds than games. As such, it definitely looks like something set to surprise many gamers. It is set during World War I as a young French boy named Sebastian loses both his parents. He goes to live in an orphanage in which children rule and engage in pretty grisly rituals.

The game itself is set to play out as a point-and-click adventure all in black and white. Then there are the children of the orphanage, who disturbingly look much more like wooden dolls than children. Sebastien, as well, takes this form. Phobia Interactive implies that this is due to him being a “sick” child, imagining safer things to help distance himself from the true horror unfolding in front of him. A Short Tale of Solitude was hoped to see completion in January, but will now hopefully arrive a bit later this year.

http://youtu.be/vxwAGB6Tos0

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Amnesia: The Dark Descent terrified gamers nearly three years ago. Although it was not the first game to place gamers into such a powerless character running from a stalking being, it definitely managed to be the most popular. Finally, developer thechineseroom is nearing completion on their next game: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

Although not a direct sequel, it is set to play off the same universe they already built up. It takes place in 1899 as a man returns from a disastrous trip. Instead of returning home to heal, his mind is filled with images he can’t control - images of a strange machine. From there, the game looks to draw off the existing puzzle and hiding gameplay that fans have come to expect. Currently, the game is set to be out in the 2nd quarter of 2013.

http://youtu.be/YWDQN_X5b-M

Among the Sleep

Among the Sleep is a game which has been just under the radar for years now. Having won multiple festival awards over the years, Krillbite Studios have been working hard to perfect their surreal experience. The game centers around a two year old child who lets their imagination get the best of them late at night. While in control of the child, players will begin to experience a wide variety of strange and scary occurrences.

As the small child you must work to overcome the surreal phantasms and stay safe from danger. That may be hard though, considering how powerful the imagination of little children is. Do you remember some of the spooky stuff you imagined at young ages? Hopefully Among the Sleep manages to capture youthful fears well. There is no date announced for its release but the game is said to be coming soon.

http://youtu.be/UfUaE-X2a0E

Shadow of a Soul

Vivec Entertainment’s Shadow of a Soul is looking to create an episodic horror tale. It also happens to be the first on the list which isn’t a PC exclusive (also aiming for PS3). In the first episode, players focus on a thief attempting a heist. As he explores, the realization quickly dawns on him that things are not right. Whatever is there with him won’t let him leave, either.

Players will progress through the game with adventure game style control. Despite this, the game has 3D environments and looks fairly like a “modern” game. Ghosts are an underutilized entity in games so hopefully Shadow of a Soul uses them effectively. The episodic series will be a trilogy and Chapter 1 currently has a release date of May 2013.

http://youtu.be/tenpLSKU-9U

Slender: The Arrival

Last year, a new horror phenomenon sparked in the form of Slender: The Eight Pages. Although the Slenderman character and surrounding modern mythos are not exactly fresh, the game managed to introduce many to the thin, well-dressed monster. It also showed that horror in its purest state has no requirement of good graphics or compelling storyline. Developer Mark Hadley was not content to let his original game be the end and is currently working on Slender: The Arrival.

This time around, the game is going to be a more polished experience. An actual narrative is infused by the writers of the Marble Hornets web series, as well as the game getting a complete graphical overhaul. Although fans were happy enough with the original Slender, this is an attempt to make the game as Hadley envisioned it (but was unable to create on his own). Slender: The Arrival will be out on March 26th.

It’s easy to see that horror is still a big deal in the gaming world. With big names shunning the genre, it only leaves more room for indie developers to flourish. This list is only the start, as there are many other horror games also hoping to launch this year. Some other intriguing titles are: Asylum, Memory of a Broken Dimension, Routine, and Stasis. As long as there is still a thriving community of horror fans in the gaming world (and there always will be) then someone out there will keep creating horror games!

Click here to view the article

Posted Image

#2 Guest_..._*

Guest_..._*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

Shadow of the soul has a bit of a paranormal activity feel to it.

Among the sleep looks amazing can't wait to play it. Or this case probably watch the play through of it since I don't think my comp can run it lol.

I thought we agreed that Slender just wanted 20 dollars....

#3 Royzoga

Royzoga

Podunk Scholar

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  • Twitter:@ royzoga
  • Steam:Royzoga
  • PSN:Royzoga
  • XBL:royzoga
  • LocationCherry Hill, NJ

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

I'm gonna agree with Kikyou on like everything. Shadow of the Soul looks very similar to paranormal activity. It actually reminded me of another indie game called Paranormal that is still in beta.

Among the Sleep looks the best out of the new comers. Amnesia looks good obviously, but just seeing something new like Sleep is cool.

I've watched gameplay of the new Slender and it literally just looks like the same game in a new environment, not something I'd pay 20$ for haha.

Royzoga.png

graphic.png

Care to see what games I own and have beat? Click this thing here ---> Royzoga's Game Collection

Care to see what comics I own and have read? Click this thing here ---> Royzoga's Comic Collection

Care to see what anime I've been watching, have watched, or dropped? Click this thing here --->Royzoga's Anime Profile

#4 Guest_..._*

Guest_..._*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Also does Baby blues have anything to do with Among the sleep? I think it might be a follow up but I havent done any research on it.

#5 DrPixel

DrPixel

10% Doctor; 90% Pixels

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Twitter:@drpixl
  • Backloggery:DrPixel
  • PSN:Maplesniper
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Also does Baby blues have anything to do with Among the sleep? I think it might be a follow up but I havent done any research on it.

Nope, two different games as far as I know.

tumblr_ltsfbt4dH41r0lg32.gif

Feel free to add me on Steam at http://www.steamcomm....com/id/drpixel if you just want to chat or need a friend. Please mention that you're from here though, because I usually don't accept requests from random people, which seems to happen to me a lot. :D

#6 Guest_..._*

Guest_..._*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Nope, two different games as far as I know.

Thats odd they look really similar... anyway I always wanted to play a horror game with a kid being afraid of his own imagination. So this is gonna be pretty cool.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: horror, indie, Amnesia, Slender

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users