Photo

Episode 13: Art n' Stuff: A Link to the Podunk

Video Games Podcast Funny Art Boxart Nintendo BioShock Infinite Zelda A Link to the Past 2 Bravely Default

24 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,347 posts
  • Twitter:@KaptainJ
  • Steam:kaptainj
  • PSN:SirKaptainJ
  • Wii:KaptainJ
  • 3DS:5284 - 2393 - 6951
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thirteen episodes and still going strong. Let's just hope such a number doesn't kill our luck... Anyway, in this episode, we discuss what games we're currently playing, talk about video game art direction and box art, discuss the recent Nintendo Direct stuff like the announcement of the Link to the Past sequel, answer a question asked by one of our forum members, and Khorne lets us know more about New Zealand.

The Game Podunkast

Episode 13: Art n' Stuff: A Link to the Podunk

Starring: Jordan Haygood, Marshall Henderson, barrel, and Khorne

OR CLICK HERE

Direct Download

Subscribe to our RSS feed here

Did you enjoy this episode of The Game Podunkast? What would you like to hear us talk about next time?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#2 Kikyou1

Kikyou1

The First Stooge

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • Twitter:@kikyouwuv
  • PSN:Kikyou1
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

-"Our audience are all idiots anyway they will never notice" Can't help but feel a little offended :(

-"Once you play minecraft you never play anything else" sounds like what I say about skyrim all the time.

-A little people payed attention to the contest.

-I agree it depends on the game. I don't really prefer a certain style over the other.

-You should finish at least one zelda game in your life time.

-Sand surfing is real you guys should youtube it. Looks like a lot of fun.

-Borderlands 2 art style gives me a head ache lol.

-White or red city what a head ache. But if you think about it most building colors are dull grays and browns.

-Because David Cage loves looking at podcasts.

-One of the things that bothered me the most about inFamous 2 was when they changed voice actors because they needed the face of another guy so they might as well change voices too... He just didn't sound like the guy I knew after that.

-I got aggravated about the Bioshock Infinite cover too pretty sure I already mentioned it but a guy with a gun is not what the franchise is about. I guess they are just trying to sell it...

-Handhelds are consoles. Good ones at that specially the 3DS it gives variety to what we usually get with home consoles.

-Inflation.

-"I was a kid back then I didn't know how much it was, my mommy and daddy bought things for me" lol

-Yeah America still thinks it's the most progressive country in the world yet it suppresses a group of minorities every generation. Still hasn't had a woman president, and goes by state on gay rights.

kikyou1.png

#3 barrel

barrel

Site Manager

• Moderators
  • 792 posts
  • Twitter:@barrelmaster
  • PSN:king_of_barrels
  • XBL:king of barrels
  • 3DS:1607-1869-6432

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

-I got aggravated about the Bioshock Infinite cover too pretty sure I already mentioned it but a guy with a gun is not what the franchise is about. I guess they are just trying to sell it...

I heard that argument a lot before the game was released, but after playing it... I would say Booker (aka guy with gun) is heavily what Bioshock: Infinite is about, since he and Elizabeth are a part of a very character driven narrative in Infinite. Also, he shoots a lot of dudes. I get the semantical argument, since Bioshock titles (including Infinite) are so atmosphere heavy that it is disingenuous the source material if the cover seems like a derivative 'tough dude with a gun' cover. Sure, it isn't entirely reflective of the game, but what I'm trying to say is that it is a little more reflective than you probably think (then again, it probably has a little to do with marketing as well).

#4 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

-"Our audience are all idiots anyway they will never notice" Can't help but feel a little offended :(

-Because David Cage loves looking at podcasts.

-Handhelds are consoles. Good ones at that specially the 3DS it gives variety to what we usually get with home consoles.

-Inflation.

-"I was a kid back then I didn't know how much it was, my mommy and daddy bought things for me" lol

-Yeah America still thinks it's the most progressive country in the world yet it suppresses a group of minorities every generation. Still hasn't had a woman president, and goes by state on gay rights.

-Don't worry, we're all idiots as well.

-No, just ours.

-It's just a shame people like to belittle handhelds like they aren't worth playing.

-Get the balloons ready.

-Well it's true!

-Well, at least we're getting somewhere. I mean, after all these years following Lincoln's emancipation, a black man becomes president. Not to mention the alternate choice for the Democratic party was a woman. Who knows, maybe we'll end up having a female president once Obama has his eight years. Also, there was a time not too long ago when gay marriage seemed like an impossibility anywhere in the U.S. This country has a ways to go, but we've also gone a long way.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#5 Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke

Perfection

• Members
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

I heard that argument a lot before the game was released, but after playing it... I would say Booker (aka guy with gun) is heavily what Bioshock: Infinite is about, since he and Elizabeth are a part of a very character driven narrative in Infinite. Also, he shoots a lot of dudes. I get the semantical argument, since Bioshock titles (including Infinite) are so atmosphere heavy that it is disingenuous the source material if the cover seems like a derivative 'tough dude with a gun' cover. Sure, it isn't entirely reflective of the game, but what I'm trying to say is that it is a little more reflective than you probably think (then again, it probably has a little to do with marketing as well).

People get too worked up over little things like this. True, Bioshock Infinite has some great atmosphere and environments but in the end it's just an action-shooter. Just like if you're promoting a new Terminator movie, you'd put a picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger looking tough on the cover. I think they made a great choice by providing alternate cover art for those whiners who love complaining.

The only time an argument like this has weight is like in the case of Mass Effect, in which the main character could be male or female, so there was no set "main character" so providing alternate coverart was a smart move.

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#6 Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke

Perfection

• Members
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

Change doesn't happen overnight. I'd say we've be more progressive in the last 50 years than any other point in our nation's history. Woman president? I'm sure it's just a matter of time, I mean, we just got a black president, TWICE! I'd say that's a sign of progress right? And going state by state may seem archaic, but we're a democratic country, and laws are (or at least should) be based on the majority opinion.

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#7 Kikyou1

Kikyou1

The First Stooge

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Change doesn't happen overnight. I'd say we've be more progressive in the last 50 years than any other point in our nation's history. Woman president? I'm sure it's just a matter of time, I mean, we just got a black president, TWICE! I'd say that's a sign of progress right? And going state by state may seem archaic, but we're a democratic country, and laws are (or at least should) be based on the majority opinion.

It might take a while for America, But other countries have already done everything I mentioned except pick on a minority every generation. Which means America isn't as progressive as it would like people to think it is. Not to say it's not better then a lot of other countries out there but it has a hard time understanding it's no longer even the power house of the world let alone that it's not the most "free" country in the world.

Don't get me wrong I love America, but I don't have a problem seeing it's problems. Accepting it's problems then taking responsibility is the first step to making a better country.

And now I'm getting to political lol.

kikyou1.png

#8 Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke

Perfection

• Members
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

It might take a while for America, But other countries have already done everything I mentioned except pick on a minority every generation. Which means America isn't as progressive as it would like people to think it is. Not to say it's not better then a lot of other countries out there but it has a hard time understanding it's no longer even the power house of the world let alone that it's not the most "free" country in the world.

Don't get me wrong I love America, but I don't have a problem seeing it's problems. Accepting it's problems then taking responsibility is the first step to making a better country.

And now I'm getting to political lol.

I'm curious, which countries don't have a minority group that gets discriminated against? 

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#9 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

This just in: we are now officially The PolitiCast.

Posted Image

#10 Kikyou1

Kikyou1

The First Stooge

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'm curious, which countries don't have a minority group that gets discriminated against? 

They don't do it every generation as badly as America has a history of doing it. And by this I mean switching for one to the other each few years.

Like the Native Americans, Italians, Japanese, Latins. (Minorities that had there fair share of backlash through the years in America).

If you want to continue let me know on Pm I don't want to get all political on everyone that reads the thread lol.

kikyou1.png

#11 Marshall Henderson

Marshall Henderson

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

The thing is, saying "we've made great strides" is one thing, but those strides are made because people are always, always fighting for them. The reason why it takes baby steps is because you've got people fighting for every inch. Of course we got a black president, because the alternative was a woman, and we sure couldn't have that.

Keep in mind that the Fifteenth Amendment was passed in 1870 and the Nineteenth Amendment wasn't passed until the 1920s. Clearly the idea of racism pales in comparison to the sexism, considering that 50 year difference. Then you consider that we had, almost a century after the passing of the Fifteenth Amendment, the Civil Rights Movement. After the law says everyone's equal, it took almost 100 years to get that sorted. Barack Obama was the first black candidate who even stood a chance, almost 140 years after we all became equal.

Feminism is thriving today, because they still have a legitimate claim to grievances, and Hilary, as great (or, in as nonbiased as we can be, not-great, whichever you prefer) as a politician as she is, gets criticized because "she'd start a war every month," or "it'd just be four more years of Bill Clinton's presidency" or any of the other number of reasons why she got criticized in ways that had nothing to do with her policies.

Just because you've made some good progress doesn't mean you shouldn't fight just as hard.

EDIT: Also, it's just a running goof that we don't take our audience seriously, you're all smart and beautiful people.

EDIT 2: Also, added in quotation marks so you don't actually think I thought those things.

#12 Kikyou1

Kikyou1

The First Stooge

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

The thing is, saying "we've made great strides" is one thing, but those strides are made because people are always, always fighting for them. The reason why it takes baby steps is because you've got people fighting for every inch. Of course we got a black president, because the alternative was a woman, and we sure couldn't have that.

Keep in mind that the Fifteenth Amendment was passed in 1870 and the Nineteenth Amendment wasn't passed until the 1920s. Clearly the idea of racism pales in comparison to the sexism, considering that 50 year difference. Then you consider that we had, almost a century after the passing of the Fifteenth Amendment, the Civil Rights Movement. After the law says everyone's equal, it took almost 100 years to get that sorted. Barack Obama was the first black candidate who even stood a chance, almost 140 years after we all became equal.

Feminism is thriving today, because they still have a legitimate claim to grievances, and Hilary, as great (or, in as nonbiased as we can be, not-great, whichever you prefer) as a politician as she is, gets criticized because "she'd start a war every month," or "it'd just be four more years of Bill Clinton's presidency" or any of the other number of reasons why she got criticized in ways that had nothing to do with her policies.

Just because you've made some good progress doesn't mean you shouldn't fight just as hard.

EDIT: Also, it's just a running goof that we don't take our audience seriously, you're all smart and beautiful people.

EDIT 2: Also, added in quotation marks so you don't actually think I thought those things.

tumblr_mfvbhjIeDQ1s24pgbo1_250.gif

I want to marry that speech.

kikyou1.png

#13 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

I want to marry that speech.

Sorry, but that speech is taken.

Posted Image

#14 TKtheknight

TKtheknight

"Tee-Kay"

• Community Knight
  • 2,687 posts
  • Twitter:@TKtheknight
  • PSN:tktheknight

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Well then. That was quite the interesting political conversation. I'm not much into politics or much of a person who talks about them, but I'm just gonna say that was some good talk. Good stuff Marshall.

anime_gurrenLagann-simon_nia2.gif"With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!"

#15 Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke

Perfection

• Members
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Well then. That was quite the interesting political conversation. I'm not much into politics or much of a person who talks about them, but I'm just gonna say that was some good talk. Good stuff Marshall.

If only you had seen the PM's that raged between me and Kiky....

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#16 TKtheknight

TKtheknight

"Tee-Kay"

• Community Knight
  • 2,687 posts
  • Twitter:@TKtheknight
  • PSN:tktheknight

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

D: Now I'm curious to read the debate. Sounds intense and scary.

anime_gurrenLagann-simon_nia2.gif"With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!"

#17 Marshall Henderson

Marshall Henderson

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

All I ever want is to witness screaming matches between other people...

#18 Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarke

Perfection

• Members
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

All I ever want is to witness screaming matches between other people...

It was actually a very mature and civilized debate. :)

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#19 Marshall Henderson

Marshall Henderson

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

It was actually a very mature and civilized debate. :)

Ugh, civility on the internet?!

#20 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Ugh, civility on the internet?!

What's the world coming to...?

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video Games, Podcast, Funny, Art, Boxart, Nintendo, BioShock Infinite, Zelda, A Link to the Past 2, Bravely Default

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About

Friends of GP

Site Navigation

Contact

• General Inquiry
  • contact (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

• Press Related
  • gp.press (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

Site Info