Photo

Are You Interested in the Next Xbox's IllumiRoom?

Xbox 720 Nextbox Illumiroom

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

I was speaking about this with some friends just yesterday, and while the idea is intriguing, I gotta say I'm not sold on the whole IllumiRoom idea that Microsoft will likely be pushing alongside the next Xbox.

Though I can't say for sure until I experience it myself, it just looks like something where the novelty would wear off within a few times of using it. I mean, it's cool to have peripheral vision of in-game stuff that expands beyond the TV, but I dunno, I have my doubts. Seems like I'd want to take my eyes of the screen of the TV (where the action is) and just look at everything else.

What do you guys think?

Posted Image

#2 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 4,807 posts
  • Twitter:kiet86
  • Steam:kiet86
  • PSN:DarkCobra86
  • XBL:DarkCobra86
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

I don't think this is for me as of yet. I just think that from what I seen of the technology it doesn't really help my experience. It illuminates into the room but with all the furnitures in the background it takes away from me being able to tell what is on the screen. I feel that the furniture have to be placed perfectly. I almost think it would be best if you use it in a room with no furniture next to the TV so that it'll just illuminates into the empty wall. Plus, only the TV is even bright enough for me to see what is going on. If the room is dark the background doesn't really do much for me. If you saw the one with them showing a movie or something like that, I think the technology takes away from what is on the screen and makes it harder for me to focus.

#3 gaiages

gaiages

Shocking!

• Moderators
  • 1,718 posts
  • Twitter:@gaiages
  • Backloggery:gaiages
  • XBL:gaiages
  • 3DS:4554-0674-7726
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hmm... I dunno.  Seems like all the flickering lights around me would drive me crazy.  Then again, it probably won't be a requirement (just like the 3DS's 3D), so I'll probably boot it up once and a while to see how it looks, then turn it off no matter how impressed I am with it.  :P

Posted Image

#4 Kikyou1

Kikyou1

The First Stooge

• Members
  • 2,130 posts
  • Twitter:@kikyouwuv
  • PSN:Kikyou1
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

No.

I wish that's all I could type and post but I guess I will let you know why.

As a gamer my attention span is already a little lower then most people so the last thing you want to do is put all this things around the screen. I know they are trying to immerse you more in the games but they will end up distracting you.

galaxybanner_by_laiilanana-d6l4igs.png

Set made by: LaiilaNana ~by BangSHINee @Deviantart Happy Holidays!

#5 archangelreb

archangelreb

The Contest Guru Ohmmmmm

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • PSN:Aar24
  • XBL:ARCHANGELREB
  • LocationMarietta, Ga.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

It would be pretty cool to be able to see the peripheral views but only if it would help you in the game. Other than that I can't see much use for the whole concept.

[Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 TKtheknight

TKtheknight

Red Priestess Tristsei Bolton "The Young Wolf"

• Community Knight
  • 2,526 posts
  • Twitter:@TKtheknight
  • Steam:tktheknight
  • PSN:tktheknight
  • XBL:TKtheknight
  • LocationHonnouji Academy

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Honestly I would be interested, but not right now. Technology needs to slow down a bit as were heading to the future. I am pretty sure the next step after this is going to be Sword Art Online style gaming. The peripheral looks amazing, but not it doesn't excite me a whole lot. Sure we love to have that sweet gaming feeling, but they make it sound like were not focused on gaming and they care about the visuals and stuff. I think that we need to slow down a bit. There is so much we can do with tech and yeah it's a nice little step to the future, but do you think everyone's gonna jump on it so quickly? It's a cool idea don't get me wrong, but this would be good for the next next gen console and not right now. I dunno lol.

anime_gurrenLagann-simon_nia2.gif"With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!"

#7 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

It would be pretty cool to be able to see the peripheral views but only if it would help you in the game. Other than that I can't see much use for the whole concept.

I feel like it is a fancy way of giving you wide screen in the games. The technology itself is definitely cool. I just don't think having it past the TV will help me personally because the lighting distort it when it isn't as bright as the TV is.

#8 Laddie13

Laddie13

Podunk Reader

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • PSN:Laddie13
  • XBL:Laddie13

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

I think it looks awesome, the problem I have with it is, will I actually use it. I think it might work well for certain games but just like 3D gaming I think it has the potential to be disruptive and eye straining. I'll likely wait to see how much it will cost before committing to it. I'm not expecting to buy the next Xbox right away either. It would be nice if it worked with all consoles, I'd be more willing to shell out the extra money if it wasn't limited to just one system.

#9 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

I think it looks awesome, the problem I have with it is, will I actually use it. I think it might work well for certain games but just like 3D gaming I think it has the potential to be disruptive and eye straining. I'll likely wait to see how much it will cost before committing to it. I'm not expecting to buy the next Xbox right away either. It would be nice if it worked with all consoles, I'd be more willing to shell out the extra money if it wasn't limited to just one system.

I forgot to mention that the Illumiroom projector might actually have to be bought separately too. If that's the case and it costs $150+, I really wonder how much support it'll get from people in the long run. :o

Still, we'll probably learn all about it at MS's unveiling event later this month, so I'll hold my reservations until after then.

Posted Image

#10 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

I forgot to mention that the Illumiroom projector might actually have to be bought separately too. If that's the case and it costs $150+, I really wonder how much support it'll get from people in the long run. :o

Still, we'll probably learn all about it at MS's unveiling event later this month, so I'll hold my reservations until after then.

I think at first it'll be sold separately. But I think within a few years MS will try to make it a bundle so that all the xbox gamer have it and they'll start having game using that technology too.

#11 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

The Easter Kaptain

• Community Manager
  • 1,284 posts
  • Twitter:@KaptainJ
  • Steam:kaptainj
  • PSN:SirKaptainJ
  • Wii:KaptainJ
  • 3DS:5284 - 2393 - 6951
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

It sure looks cool, but it doesn't look like anything I'd really care about using much. Especially if I have to pay a fortune extra to use it. It also looks like it's too distracting to really game comfortably. Though it's kinda hard to say whether it's good or not without having experienced it first-hand. Perhaps it's a lot cooler than it looks just from watching some dude use a prototype. So I'll just hold off on my judgements until I see more. If I see more, that is.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Xbox 720, Nextbox, Illumiroom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About

Friends of GP

Site Navigation

Contact

• General Inquiry
  • contact (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

• Press Related
  • gp.press (at) gamepodunk (dot) com