Photo

Episode 20: Reviewer Crossing: 11 Out of 10 (Part 1)

Video Games Podcast Funny Review Nintendo Wii U 3DS Animal Crossing New Leaf Star Trek Online

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

At long last, a certain Marshall has decided to show up for work. Why is that, you ask? Well, because he's a big fan of this week's guest host - Marcus Estrada!

*cheers are heard near and far*

In any case, this week's topic is perfect for our review fiend guest host. After we all discuss what games we've been playing, this episode is all about review scores, in which we discuss certain review practices, give our opinions on the concept of scoring games, and talk about Game Podunk's own scoring system. Then the episode ends with a cliffhanger, so stay tuned for part 2...

The Game Podunkast

Episode 20: Reviewer Crossing: 11 Out of 10 (Part 1)

Starring: Jordan HaygoodMarshall HendersonbarrelKhorne, and Marcus Estrada

OR CLICK HERE

Direct Download

Subscribe to our RSS feed here

Did you enjoy this episode of The Game Podunkast? What would you like to hear us talk about next time?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#2 Khorne

Khorne

That Other Kiwi

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

You guys said you wanted shorter podcasts right?

#3 Guest_..._*

Guest_..._*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

-Khorne sounds even sadder then usual.

-I think 7 is average 8 is good 9 is great 10 is epic. I just think of them like test scores from school. Don't come home with anything less then a 6 unless you want your mom grounding you lol.

-I don't get why people say that 5 is average. 5 is 50% is 50% a game worth playing to you personally? I'm not talking about people like different games I'm saying if you think the game was a 5/10 was that game worth playing or is it forgettable and unenjoyable?

-Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times... I must be some kind of special.

-The DBZ end oh god xD

#4 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Great discussion on review scores, guys. :)

-Khorne sounds even sadder then usual.

-I think 7 is average 8 is good 9 is great 10 is epic. I just think of them like test scores from school. Don't come home with anything less then a 6 unless you want your mom grounding you lol.

-I don't get why people say that 5 is average. 5 is 50% is 50% a game worth playing to you personally? I'm not talking about people like different games I'm saying if you think the game was a 5/10 was that game worth playing or is it forgettable and unenjoyably?

-Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times... I must be some kind of special.

-The DBZ end oh god xD

I can understand that mentality about review scores being like test scores, but honestly, I wanted to pull away from that primarily because we don't really need 6 degrees of bad scores. Think of it this way: On the GP score scale, 1-4 is negative to somewhat negative, 5 is average/mediocre, and 6-10 is somewhat positive to extremely positive in terms of how the review reads.

As to your question about reviews that end up being a 5, those are largely considered neither good or bad. It's mediocre. I had given it to a game once before (forgot which one it was, though) but I do admit that I rarely come across games that I don't overtly hate or like. A 5 is mostly just a "meh" game. Largely forgettable but not really "bad" per say, and possibly interesting to someone who is a big fan of the series or license or whatever.

To answer Marshall's question about what a 5 would be, it's entirely subjective to one's tastes, but to explain it the best I can, I would say it's a game you're not passionate about at all but one that is also technically sound and doesn't have any big issues at all. Like I mentioned above, it's bland, at best, but it's not overtly terrible either; you recognize that it runs alright and there's no major bugs and whatnot.

If the game is terrible beyond simple bugs - say, for example, it has major bugs that really affect the game, or terrible game design - then that probably merits lower than a 5, especially if it's combined with bad sound design, controls, and whatnot. 

Posted Image

#5 Guest_..._*

Guest_..._*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Great discussion on review scores, guys. :)

I can understand that mentality about review scores being like test scores, but honestly, I wanted to pull away from that primarily because we don't really need 6 degrees of bad scores. Think of it this way: On the GP score scale, 1-4 is negative to somewhat negative, 5 is average/mediocre, and 6-10 is somewhat positive to extremely positive in terms of how the review reads.

As to your question about reviews that end up being a 5, those are largely considered neither good or bad. It's mediocre. I had given it to a game once before (forgot which one it was, though) but I do admit that I rarely come across games that I don't overtly hate or like. A 5 is mostly just a "meh" game. Largely forgettable but not really "bad" per say, and possibly interesting to someone who is a big fan of the series or license or whatever.

To answer Marshall's question about what a 5 would be, it's entirely subjective to one's tastes, but to explain it the best I can, I would say it's a game you're not passionate about at all but one that is also technically sound and doesn't have any big issues at all. Like I mentioned above, it's bland, at best, but it's not overtly terrible either; you recognize that it runs alright and there's no major bugs and whatnot.

If the game is terrible beyond simple bugs - say, for example, it has major bugs that really affect the game, or terrible game design - then that probably merits lower than a 5, especially if it's combined with bad sound design, controls, and whatnot. 

I can understand all that but I also see it this way. There are some people who don't have time to play a lot of games. The last thing they want to do is invest their time in a "meh" game which is a 5/10. A forgettable game that didn't really do anything wrong but didn't do much right either. So while I understand a 5 isn't bad I wouldn't say it's average either. Since I wouldn't recommend anyone to spend time on a 5/10 game. Unless it's one of those rare "it's so bad it's good" or "bad everything but very entertaining" kind of games.

But it depends on the person and going by that logic then the person would have had to play the game to know how they felt about it. And by playing it they already spent time on a "meh" game. I'm not very busy but I do understand that time is one of the most precious things in the world. You can't buy it and once you waste it, it's gone for good. Thats why "spending" time vs "wasting" time with video games is a important separation to me.

#6 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I can understand all that but I also see it this way. There are some people who don't have time to play a lot of games. The last thing they want to do is invest their time in a "meh" game which is a 5/10. A forgettable game that didn't really do anything wrong but didn't do much right either. So while I understand a 5 isn't bad I wouldn't say it's average either. Since I wouldn't recommend anyone to spend time on a 5/10 game. Unless it's one of those rare "it's so bad it's good" or "bad everything but very entertaining" kind of games.

But it depends on the person and going by that logic then the person would have had to play the game to know how they felt about it. And by playing it they already spent time on a "meh" game. I'm not very busy but I do understand that time is one of the most precious things in the world. You can't buy it and once you waste it, it's gone for good. Thats why "spending" time vs "wasting" time with video games is a important separation to me.

I think I understand where you're coming from now. So by your definition (going somewhat by the school standard) of average, you're referring to games that are 7/10 or fairly good/decent but not exactly impressive since that seems to be what many games are rated on average as a whole? So above-average scores would be 8 or 9's since those are more uncommon (well, depending on what site you go to)? I can understand that.

Nevertheless, GP's scale is what it is, lol. A 5/10 being average isn't necessarily a recommendation at all; it's just rating what we thought of the game's quality. While a 6 is considered slightly positive, it's a very loose recommendation in that it definitely won't be for everyone. 7 is probably where a solid recommendation starts, which is what we consider "good."

In any case, you do bring up a good point about the term "average." Perhaps we'll change it to "mediocre" instead since that's a bit more fitting in this sense.

Posted Image

#7 Guest_..._*

Guest_..._*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think I understand where you're coming from now. So by your definition (going somewhat by the school standard) of average, you're referring to games that are 7/10 or fairly good/decent but not exactly impressive since that seems to be what many games are rated on average as a whole? So above-average scores would be 8 or 9's since those are more uncommon (well, depending on what site you go to)? I can understand that.

Nevertheless, GP's scale is what it is, lol. A 5/10 being average isn't necessarily a recommendation at all; it's just rating what we thought of the game's quality. While a 6 is considered slightly positive, it's a very loose recommendation in that it definitely won't be for everyone. 7 is probably where a solid recommendation starts, which is what we consider "good."

In any case, you do bring up a good point about the term "average." Perhaps we'll change it to "mediocre" instead since that's a bit more fitting in this sense.

You don't have to change anything I understand every site works differently so I take that in to account and like the podcast mentioned. Whats important is the summary I have seen many reviews here that where rated what I would call bellow average but the review of them was pretty flattering so I decided to put them on my list anyway.

#8 Khorne

Khorne

That Other Kiwi

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Comes down to opinions mostly. Someone who doesn't like RTS games or Warhammer 40k would give Dawn of War a lower score, but I would be more inclined to give it a higher score (extra points for making the Khorne Beserkers one of the best units in the game ). They would give it something like a 5 and I would give it an 8. Also Dawn of War is a great game and that hypothetical reviewer should stop hating.

#9 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

I am mad scientist, it so cool!

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Comes down to opinions mostly. Someone who doesn't like RTS games or Warhammer 40k would give Dawn of War a lower score, but I would be more inclined to give it a higher score (extra points for making the Khorne Beserkers one of the best units in the game ). They would give it something like a 5 and I would give it an 8. Also Dawn of War is a great game and that hypothetical reviewer should stop hating.

personally, I would say someone who is not a fan of the genre shouldn't be reviewing games in it. For one, they probably wouldn't notice many of the subtleties or differences in different games, and are already coming in with a negative opinion on the game. For instance, I don't review fighting games, mostly because I suck at them, but also because they just aren't a genre I enjoy and reviewing it solely from my perspective would be doing the game a disservice. I think most good reviewers can recognize a quality game for what it is, but that doesn't mean they ought to write an whole review for it. That's just my opinion on it obviously, so don't take this as me calling you out on anything.

76561198022997080.png

#10 Khorne

Khorne

That Other Kiwi

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

I agree with that, but I have seen on some sites (mostly smaller ones) that people do end up reviewing games that obviously don't appeal to them.

#11 TKtheknight

TKtheknight

"Tee-Kay"

• Community Knight
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

It goes the same with movies as well. Everyone has their own way of reviewing stuff and having opinions. Not everyone will agree/disagree with the review. There are some stuff we like that people don't like. Number Ratings just makes you think automatically oh its a good game with 7 and above. 6 or less is most likely to be crappy and uninteresting. It feels unfair that way to judge a game at times. Reviews with no number rank seems to be a nice opinionated article of what the game is all about and feelings towards it or something.

anime_gurrenLagann-simon_nia2.gif"With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!"

#12 Jordan Haygood

Jordan Haygood

Are You Watching?

• Video Manager
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

"Jason's not going to listen to this, but..."

Welp, looks like Marshall was wrong about that :P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image