Photo

PS Vita - Are you getting one?

Vita Sony

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: PS Vita - Are you getting one? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you getting a Vita?

1. Yes (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Yes, but probably not right away (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Jared

Jared

Senior Editor

• Editor
  • 254 posts
  • PSN:randomguard

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

The Little Deviants bundle is different. This one comes with an 8 GB memory card, PSN game and At&t data pass. No announcement on what game or choice of games yet.

The little deviants bundle is that first edition one, I thought that was the one Lockerz was selling. While still tempting at $245 with the memory card, I'm not going to use the 3G plan and apparently you have to use it to get the PSN game if I understood the official unboxing video correctly.(Again, I might be wrong) Hopefully I can just get lucky again and score a super cheap broken one like I did with the 3DS. Either way I'm probably getting one when Gravity Daze comes out.

#22 sirdan357

sirdan357

Podunk Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationMesa AZ

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Nope. Not unless I get one for free somehow.

#23 Sansa Stark

Sansa Stark

21-1

• Moderators
  • 759 posts
  • Twitter:@TheLiztress
  • PSN:The_Liztress
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm a little surprised there is no negative views standing out right now, just cautious at worst. Was kind of hoping for some mixed opinions like "Well, no UMD passport program, no go. PSN store doesn't even have stuff like Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep or Crisis Core..." or "Most of the games for launch are basically ports or spin-offs; can't say I'm too interested in it right now. Why spend more than a PS3 or 360 for something that offers much less in terms of games and is on a tiny screen?" or even "My PSP only collected dust. Can't say I'm confident that the Vita will not do the same...". Well. actually, maybe it isn't best to rile people up but I thought people would be more cynical like they were for the 3DS launch.

I have to say it surprises me some too that the there aren't any negative views. For me, it's really the titles that are being made for it that keep me somewhat positive. However, I'm not fond of the price. And I can get over the no-UMD part. I still have my PSP. It works great.

gallery_13_189_42144.jpg

#24 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 425 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'm not surprised with the lack of negative views on the PS Vita. The hardware and software is exactly what the targeted demographic has been asking for. The main complaint is pricing and these days people understand that waiting for a price drop is just part of the game.

Posted Image

#25 Asura

Asura

Podunk Pioneer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

Maybe. Now starting to think of getting rid of psp as the game releases for it have decreased and all the favorite psp games should be playable on the pita hopefully.

#26 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 425 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

all the favorite psp games should be playable on the pita hopefully.

Well only if you want to repurchase them that is.

Posted Image

#27 John Kidman

John Kidman

Podunk Builder

• Editor
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

I will be getting one soon... but it will be after the first two weeks so I can see how well it sells.

This best buy trade in upgrade for a PSP (1000-Go) for $75 is beastly ^_^

#28 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 425 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

To everyone who complained about the memory card prices:

You can now get the Wi-Fi Vita with a free 4GB memory card at Amazon and a 3G Vita with Super Stardust Delta, free 8 GB memory card and free month of 3G!

No more excuses!

Posted Image

#29 Marcus Estrada

Marcus Estrada

GP Managing Editor

• Editor
  • 1,764 posts
  • Twitter:marcusboi
  • LocationSilent Hill, California

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

To everyone who complained about the memory card prices:

You can now get the Wi-Fi Vita with a free 4GB memory card at Amazon and a 3G Vita with Super Stardust Delta, free 8 GB memory card and free month of 3G!

No more excuses!

Yeah but that's not where I pre-ordered my Wi-Fi version.... :wacko: I think that Target is also giving a 4GB card with the system though so that's really nice of them. Honestly every retailer should do so since the card is basically necessary.

Also, just a note about that Super Stardust Delta free-ness. I was listening to a Vita early adopter (who works in retail as well) talking about it and apparently to get the free game you must first have, like, activated your 3G subscription. However, you can't use the complimentary "data session" pass thingy first to activate it. Supposedly, you must pay a month down before receiving the game. So that's almost false advertising there about the free game, but whatever I guess. People buying the 3G version are probably interested in using the 3G subscription anyhow.

Couldn't find confirmation of when the free game is redeemable, but I did find this about how the complimentary 3G data pass comes into use after you pay for one:

"Promotional Offer expires May 31, 2012. Redemption code must be used within 90 days of issuance and is not transferable, nor redeemable. Limit one per customer. Offer for purchasers of Sony PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi only. Your promotional 250 MB session automatically starts upon expiration of your 1st session plan, if you have activated the redemption code."

Posted Image

#30 Shane Leonard

Shane Leonard

The FPS Fanatic

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Twitter:Shane_for_Wax
  • PSN:N7Spectrewolf
  • XBL:HouseMDfan
  • 3DS:1891-1677-6846
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

How is an offer not redeemable? O.o

Posted Image

Beta Tester for 10 years. Game Reviewer for 5. Gamer for 20.

"We are all brothers under the skin, and I, for one, would be willing to skin humanity to prove it."

#31 barrel

barrel

Site Manager

• Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • Twitter:@barrelmaster
  • PSN:king_of_barrels
  • XBL:king of barrels
  • 3DS:1607-1869-6432

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT, AND RANT.

I'm still going to complain about the memory card prices. Heck, I'll complain about the current sizes as well because not only is the pricing stupid, so is the current set of memory sizes for the device, if I want to play games (as in, more than a handful), especially for a device that seems to so actively encourage digital downloads; No way in heck am I going to get a 4gb or 8gb memory stick if I get a Vita, I would get AT LEAST 16gb even if I was being cheap (32gb would probably be ideal for me). If you were to buy Uncharted: Golden Abyss as a digital download you'd use more than half of a 4gb (it's 2.7gb), buy something like Lumines and you'll be saving the rest of that stick for pretty much save data only, maybe some MP3s for the heck of it. And....chances are, you'll stop using the Vita in no time if that was the case.

For my PSP I originally used a 4gb, guess what? I used all of it in no time and I didn't even buy too much stuff off PSN (I think I bought Prinny, FFVII and Undead Knights....well, the last one was free thanks to Sony. Terrible game btw) and prioritized physical copies. So I eventually got myself a 16gb (which was thankfully $40, ironically, the same price as the original 4gb was) and the suited me fine even if I used most of it. Granted, I gave a lot more love to the PSP than most, but the thing is that Vita is a more powerful device, which will mean bigger games especially further down in its life span, but even then there is some hefty games that were also on PSP that you can get on PSN (Like Peace Walker. The best data install alone for the UMD was pretty big, I bet the full PSN game is pretty big, including the free dlc.).

You can argue about just buying physical but you'll probably miss out on a bunch of solid games regardless (like PSN only, or if you want to catch up on PSP games), or have to outright ignore PSN sales because you are so hard-pressed for memory all the time, which is dumb and shouldn't be the case. Sure, those lucky can transfer from PS3 or PC, to the Vita or vice versa if you want to fight the memory stick battle, but personally, I don't think I should have to alternate stuff back and forth on a portable device like this. I think it's silly to buy the system right now with the current pricing structure, unless you are crazy for new gaming tech, but that's just me. And I was the self proclaimed handheld fanboy for the PSP and DS, back in the day (until they kind of just...stopped releasing games last year, but that's my own silly lament.).

#32 Asura

Asura

Podunk Pioneer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

Not sure but won't the people who bought the psp games from psn be able to revisit them unless some might compatibility issues? Sounds like the umd buyers are screwed. 4gb mems get filled by 1-3 big name games.

#33 Sansa Stark

Sansa Stark

21-1

• Moderators
  • 759 posts
  • Twitter:@TheLiztress
  • PSN:The_Liztress
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Ah, but it I purchase a memory card, it's not going to be the 4gb one. :( I'll go through that in no time. And when it comes to games, I prefer buying a physical copy over a digital one. I like having something I can handle/see/show off.

gallery_13_189_42144.jpg

#34 Marcus Estrada

Marcus Estrada

GP Managing Editor

• Editor
  • 1,764 posts
  • Twitter:marcusboi
  • LocationSilent Hill, California

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Since I am a really big fan of physical games, it shouldn't really bother me that memory cards are so expensive. Unless every game has 200+MB installs it would probably work out to just hold onto a 4GB card for a while. However, just because it might not be a big deal to me, doesn't mean I can't see it being a huge problem.

Sony wants to make the future a digital one, I think. Seeing as how they thought they were ready with the PSP Go and all it seems they want to go for it... Each and every Vita game is supposed to be downloadable on the store, slight digital discounts, etc. But if the media for saving the copies of games is so pricey that will lessen the amount of digital titles people will buy. Yes, the memory card prices will go down (just like PSP) but this early high price will definitely affect the system for a while.

You could technically have a 4GB or 8GB card and delete titles/reinstall them when you want to play. That doesn't seem very fun though and would take at least a little bit of time away from, you know, gaming! For reference, my 4GB card for PSP holds about 8 games (non-3D heavy stuff). I expect that Vita games will be a little to a lot larger than PSP games though.

Posted Image

#35 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 425 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Well I think the solution is having your games on a PC or PS3 and transferring them to your Vita when you actually are going to play them. Personally, that is what I will be doing. Even on PS3 I don't play more than 1-3 games during a particular time period until I beat them and move on so it makes sense to only have 1-3 saved to my memory card at a given time. I almost always buy physical though so I probably will never even have 3 downloadable titles but if I do that is how I would handle it.

Posted Image

#36 Andres

Andres

Podunk Novice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

I got mines Yesterday!!! The Vita is really awesome!! I was very impressed by the features and the game looks Great on that OLED Screen =D

#37 Barristan Selmy

Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  • Twitter:@will_snizek
  • Steam:kezins
  • PSN:kezins
  • XBL:kezins
  • Wii:kezins
  • LocationHigh Hrothgar, West Virginia

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

I still kinda want one, but I'm not paying that much for memory cards. I'm going to wait for a system and memory card price drop. Maybe I'll get one in a year or so. By then, the library should be pretty nice too.

twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezins
PSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPG

Currently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player

#38 Wchillinman

Wchillinman

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

It looks nice & its features sound great but, I think I'll wait for a bit before I get one. The price is just to high for me now. And I also just want to see if people run into problems with the current ones & what games they offer down the line. Just the fact that it has two touch areas makes me a bit nervous. Especially, since me, my cousin & a few of my friends had some type of problems with our PSPs at some point. Just thinking about how much trouble & money it will be to repair it if something goes bad makes me worried. When a large number people have it for awhile (maybe a year) & have tested the ends and outs of it maybe I'll get it then. But by than though, if PlayStation does like they did with the PSP it might be a version two. So, I'm just going to wait this out for a bit unless I magically luck out & win it from somewhere. :)

#39 Veridis_Quo

Veridis_Quo

Podunk Novice

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • PSN:Veridis_Quo
  • XBL:Kontrabida
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

I voted for the third option and it seems that I am in the majority. Everyone I know who owns a Vita all say that they're satisfied with their purchase of the handheld which is reassuring. I'm planning on buying one when I see at great deal for it whether standalone or bundle. I'm really looking forward to playing Uncharted:Golden Abyss on that sysem. Along with that dungeon crawler (the name escapes me right now) thats a lot like Diablo. Anyone else thinks they should just go a step further and turn it into a phone? They might as well play with the big boys and compete with the Iphone and androids.
Posted Image

#40 Andres

Andres

Podunk Novice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I voted for the third option and it seems that I am in the majority. Everyone I know who owns a Vita all say that they're satisfied with their purchase of the handheld which is reassuring. I'm planning on buying one when I see at great deal for it whether standalone or bundle. I'm really looking forward to playing Uncharted:Golden Abyss on that sysem. Along with that dungeon crawler (the name escapes me right now) thats a lot like Diablo. Anyone else thinks they should just go a step further and turn it into a phone? They might as well play with the big boys and compete with the Iphone and androids.

oh i know which game you're talking about. The game is called ruin but got renamed and now its called Warrior Lair. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vita, Sony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About

Friends of GP

Site Navigation

Contact

• General Inquiry
  • contact (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

• Press Related
  • gp.press (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

Site Info